ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Brooklyn

Why is it when people talk about Brooklyn they never talk about the other side of Brooklyn? Marine Park, Sheepsead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, Begen beach, Mill Basin, Old mill Basin, Carnarsie, etc. Single and two family homes, garages, you can find parking. Heck, they even have beaches, parks. Are those area's not there anymore?
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliacati View Post
Why is it when people talk about Brooklyn they never talk about the other side of Brooklyn? Marine Park, Sheepsead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, Begen beach, Mill Basin, Old mill Basin, Carnarsie, etc. Single and two family homes, garages, you can find parking. Heck, they even have beaches, parks. Are those area's not there anymore?
Nope. They were sold to Jersey.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
You have to also take into consideration how displaced Sandy victims have taken a big bite out of the rental market.

BERZERKOWITZ screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 09:07 PM
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Those areas, for the most part, aren't nearly as nice as they used to be either. Some like canarsie have gone to hell IMHO.

I live in Carroll Gardens which used to be a very blue collar area now it's all yuppies, hipsters, and french. Because it's so close to Manhattan I imagine the rents skyrocketed and moved all the natives like me out. If I didn't pay rent to my mother in law I couldn't afford to live here either even though I make decent money. A few celebs have even bought homes here now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
You have to also take into consideration how displaced Katrina victims have taken a big bite out of the rental market.
Sandy?
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
Those areas, for the most part, aren't nearly as nice as they used to be either. Some like canarsie have gone to hell IMHO.

I live in Carroll Gardens which used to be a very blue collar area now it's all yuppies, hipsters, and french. Because it's so close to Manhattan I imagine the rents skyrocketed and moved all the natives like me out. If I didn't pay rent to my mother in law I couldn't afford to live here either even though I make decent money. A few celebs have even bought homes here now.

Sandy?
I should have left out Carnarsie, it went to hell years ago. Is Bushwick any better?
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Depends, I think parts of what is known now to be bushwick are on the upswing but I'm not sure.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Is Bushwick any better?
No.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
Quote:

Sandy?
Yeah, her too.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

TBH this thread got me thinking. What areas are up and coming right now? Affordable and reasonably safe? I can't think of any. That's sad indeed.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #25
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,119
To the OP

An 1150 on the street... Probably ok. High demand bikes are sportbikes, and small dual-sport (KLR, KTM, DRZ). Nobody wants your pig.

If you're looking for new riding buddies:

Definitely check out the NYC Commuters thread. When we're not bitching about gun laws or our vanishing 4th Amendment rights, we sometimes discuss local affairs.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #26
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
No.
thats because your in deep

Quote:
TBH this thread got me thinking. What areas are up and coming right now? Affordable and reasonably safe? I can't think of any. That's sad indeed.
i think bushwick is up and coming, but only the parts closer to williamsburg though i still wouldn't live there. Hell, i've seen a lot of newbies to the city living in bed-sty. greenpoint is becoming more hip too, take it from me, i'm a hip 23 year old
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #27
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 799
I looked at those areas (yes, even Canarsie, which was crap) before I moved to Brooklyn... and every now and then I look at real estate around town, just for kicks. The main reason I think those areas aren't mentioned is the commute to Manhattan sucks. Most jobs in NYC are in Manhattan (esp. if you are moving from another state). Mill Basin is nice, but it's not cheap, and if you want to take public trans to get to Manhattan... good luck. Your commute would be quicker from towns 50 miles into NJ.
Speaking of Sandy... I rode over to Gerritsen during the last snowstorm, and there is a lot of Sandy damage still being addressed. The military guys are STILL handing out food/supplies and whatnot.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
To the OP, if you really get jammed up and end bringing the bike with no plan for its storage, I have a shop out on eastern Long Island (Quogue) I would offer temporary storage (90 days?) until you got shite figured out.

The shop does double duty as my HVAC sheet metal shop and nearly all of my riding crew's dual sport storage/workspace. It is getting tight in there, but I could make it happen.

YAHBO
Thank you very much.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Nobody wants your pig.
She's a pretty pig until I straddle her fat ass!
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
i think bushwick is up and coming, but only the parts closer to williamsburg though i still wouldn't live there. Hell, i've seen a lot of newbies to the city living in bed-sty. greenpoint is becoming more hip too, take it from me, i'm a hip 23 year old
you don't wear a handlebar mustache do you?? Isn't there an area called clinton hill now thats getting better/is better? My brother was looking to buy a rental property over there I think.