Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #46
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
She needs to sit side-saddle and the only tassels should be on a pair of pasties ;)
Thank you for your response. I showed it to my girlfriend. She was not amused with your answer, for which I received a solid punch on the arm. I have a bruise and it's all your fault!!!

It's still funny, though. Oops... gotta run!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
jeknow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
weight

Like everyone else weight and flexibility. With a soft duffel it's lighter and if you have to you can cram more stuff in it. I use a top box too but mostly if I'm going to be in more populated areas just for a little more security. Sad to say but the more people around the more you have to think of that.
jeknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #48
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or no the top box makes you more unstable in high wind? I really like my "trunk" but if I thought I was going out on the Nebraska highways in 60mph winds, I might leave it home. But I probably won't. pk
I heard the same thing after I bought the Yamaha Top case for my FJR. Dont load it up, it's high and big hangin out back and will catch a lot of air. First of all I thought it was by far the best looking top case out there, infinitely better looking than any Givi. The convenience of it when getting on and off the bike is worth every penny, it would hold a helmet, jacket, gloves with room left over. I loaded it up and ran her up to 140mph or so with no issues. Also scraped pegs over and over with the bags full, top case full and the wifey on the back...no issues just ride friends.

Steve Hunt screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 06:54 PM
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #49
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,947
A topbox is really an ideal place to securely carry a quart of oil. But only synthetic. Dino oil will completely change the way the bike handles.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #50
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or no the top box makes you more unstable in high wind? I really like my "trunk" but if I thought I was going out on the Nebraska highways in 60mph winds, I might leave it home. But I probably won't. pk
The box in post #38 I've had since I owned a (tuned) Fazer1000/FZ1, on German autobahn on my way back from the Alps I just had to try how fast she was and made 287kph (178mph) on the speedo with the top box and tank bag. No instability what so ever. Not that I recommend this!
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #51
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
I like a soft smallish waterproof bag of the back. I fill it with my food, and when camping I throw a line over a tall tree and hoist it up out of harms way ("harm" is the name of the critters - from racoons to bears). Not sure what's in Europe - so YMMV.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #52
jeknow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Top box science

Whoa you guys are making a hell of a big deal out of this. Most of us use both or none to match the situation. Calculating COG, drag collation really? Use which ever you like for what ever you need.
jeknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #53
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
A topbox is really an ideal place to securely carry a quart of oil. But only synthetic. Dino oil will completely change the way the bike handles.

First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #54
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
The worst sight on the road is a bike with a top box and nothing else. If you have to use one, make sure it's combined with side bags and loaded with light weight gear.
I don't give a ........ what it looks like. All I care about is functionality and convenience.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #55
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
It's been very interesting re-visiting this thread, after a few months away from the keyboard. I obviously pack too much, as I'm ( considering ) taking this little lot ;)

DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #56
gregsfrontporch
B00b

Oddometer: 11
I love my top box! For general around town stuff the side bags are off, and I use the TB exclusively. It is great for carrying a ball cap, Rox straps, owners manual, manual for the stupid Sena that I always forget what one button or another does, and whatever other odds and ends I pick up and gather during the day. It is easy to access and toss/grab things in and out of.
As for security, it's usually unlocked anyway (I'm lazy). My dad always said that locks are for honest people. Not much (that I care to carry around anyway) is going to obstruct a determined thief.
As to weight and balance, well I'm new to the GS with only a 4,500 mile trip, a 1,200 miler and and a few months of around town/twisties, but I have to say I love the handling of this bike. My last bike was an 06 Triumph ST, and aside from the GS being a bit short on horse power, I feel way more confident on the GS than I have on any other bike I've had. This baby rides like a rail! Sure, it is a bit light up front, but I don't believe the TB has much affect on that, as this is just a tall bike and characteristically light up front anyway.
As for looks? My baby is BEEEE-U-T-Ful! She takes a daddy's eye to appreciate I guess, but I'm a happy boy!!
gregsfrontporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #57
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
I took off my one decal since it was up high, sanded off all the paint to save weight, replaced the hinges with ToorAWreck titanium sealed bearings to make it more aero, and then had the interior evacuated and refilled with nitrogen so as not to throw off the polar moment of inertia. Now, about those tires.....
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #58
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I took off my one decal since it was up high, sanded off all the paint to save weight, replaced the hinges with ToorAWreck titanium sealed bearings to make it more aero, and then had the interior evacuated and refilled with nitrogen so as not to throw off the polar moment of inertia. Now, about those tires.....
You took of your one decal?!?! Noooooooo!!!

How will you generate any speed, since everyone knows that decals makes you go faster?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #59
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
You took of your one decal?!?! Noooooooo!!!

How will you generate any speed, since everyone knows that decals makes you go faster?
Go faster! Are you nuts? Everybody knows that decals cause parasitic drag(which rises directly in proportion to speed) and more speed means more induced drag(which quadruples with doubling speed). That is why I go for internal speed multipliers like Syn oil. Besides, I don't ride the damn thing, I just stare at it in the garage and write about it on ADVrider.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #60
Ducati7444
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
Hi All

I've been doing a lot of reading up, before setting off on my trip round Europe and I've noticed that a lot of people don't take a top box, just panniers. I will be going solo, so the weight concerns aren't as rigid as they would be for a couple.

Just wondering why a lot of people forgo the top box, when they're touring ?
The biggest issue with top box is that the added weight is, most of the time, behind the rear wheel axle, therefore, the added weight is at the worst possible location, far away and lifting the front of your bike. If you travel solo, dry bag placed on passenger seat is the best location to preserve bike handling.
Ducati7444 is offline   Reply With Quote