ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #76
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Another model of diesel pusher that I see every so often that seems like a bargain. 1994 American Eagle. $25,000.






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #77
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,569
Here you go PJ- buy one of these:

http://auction.hendersonauctions.com...9043793&lp=MAT

(marginal spam, but not my spam.)


Bunches of trailer types to sell too. Cheaper. But cheap.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #78
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Wow! That would make a nice cabin. Or guest house.

How did you find that Mark?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #79
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Interesting. So the Rubb buildings held up well in a hurricane?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Better (but, admittedly, much newer) than the ones with twin-T concrete roof decks with built-up, tar & gravel roofing. Yes. Odd, but yes. Surprised me all to pieces. Very impressive.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #80
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Thanks! I have been learning a lot lately.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #81
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Wow! That would make a nice cabin. Or guest house.

How did you find that Mark?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey, I'm the auction guy. I know where to find stuff.

Those appear to be a fancy-schmancy unit made in Italy and sold to governments, FEMA, militaries, etc. I'm sure they're reasonably priced if you want to buy just one new unit.

Henderson has done a bunch of clean out auctions of what appear to be a bunch of FEMA trailers. Some are nicer than others, I'm sure.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #82
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Hey, I'm the auction guy. I know where to find stuff.

Those appear to be a fancy-schmancy unit made in Italy and sold to governments, FEMA, militaries, etc. I'm sure they're reasonably priced if you want to buy just one new unit.

Henderson has done a bunch of clean out auctions of what appear to be a bunch of FEMA trailers. Some are nicer than others, I'm sure.
The FEMA trailers are showing up in the oil patch. Architecturally ugly, and with an odor that would make my cats faint. I don't see one for a guest place or any other use but, once again, never say never.

I added the manufacturer's name to my eBay searches in case something shows up. I'd be interested in knowing what those go for because I am not in a position today to seriously bid.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PirateJohn screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 08:18 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #83
nwgs
solarfied
 
nwgs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
This caught my attention recently so I talked to the sales guy to get some general information.

Portable workshop built using ISO containers and a tent-like roof.

Advantages: portable. And the containers would make for secure storage.

Disadvantages: more expensive than a comparable pole barn structure made of wood and/or all metal.

Still, the manufacturer offers a 15 year warranty on this material. Supposedly they are more competitive on REALLY large structures, the kind where you pull trains into, and less so on smaller structures.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now yer talkin!
__________________
Our father which art in Washington. Paul Harvey

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #84
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post
Now yer talkin!
Thanks Mon!

Just struggling to put everything together on a budget that reflects the New Economy.

We will manage. I would like to see a place that encourages motorcyclists.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #85
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Another model of diesel pusher that I see every so often that seems like a bargain. 1994 American Eagle. $25,000.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That's surprisingly affordable!

I Googled up some more of the same/simlar model, all in the $25k - $35k price range, and with only about 100,000 miles.

What kind of maintenance does a person run into on these behemouths?
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #86
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic
 
Gas Hog's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: 7,000ft CO
Oddometer: 942
I think we have different end goals, but I like some of the ideas here. As you have shown there are superb deals on large motorhomes.

In the racing community they took this idea and come up with the toterhome. I have been in hundreds of these and the variations are unlimited.
Then you add that you have a real chassis and not some light weight under designed 1 ton with a long frame..you can add the stacker trailer. I have seen complete cnc machine shops in these..
Here is one that sells/customizes these new. But a great sight to see the possibility's

http://www.westsidemotorcoach.com/
I am looking for a "deal" for just such a combo now. They are uber expensive new...but used they have a small percentage of potential buyers compared to motor homes...

http://www.rvt.com/findrv/toterhome.php
Gary
[/URL]
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #87
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
That's surprisingly affordable!

I Googled up some more of the same/simlar model, all in the $25k - $35k price range, and with only about 100,000 miles.

What kind of maintenance does a person run into on these behemouths?

Everything.

Imagine your house going down the road shaking itself to death.

As applied to boats / airplanes / etc., "The happiest day of your life is when you buy XXXX, but the new happiest day of your life is when you sell XXXX"

All old trucks make it home, some just need a towtruck.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #88
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
That's surprisingly affordable!

I Googled up some more of the same/simlar model, all in the $25k - $35k price range, and with only about 100,000 miles.

What kind of maintenance does a person run into on these behemouths?

The Eagles (not to be confused with the Trailways bus of the same name) were the top of the line Fleetwoods. The early ones with no slides and a single rear axle are running in the low to mid $20s.

Solid engines and solid chassis from what I have seen. I would say to check the body for signs of collision damage and delamination of the fiberglass. Thoroughly go over all the accessories. But if it seems well maintained then go for it.

If I was in the market for a Class A something like this would be high on my list.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #89
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
I think we have different end goals, but I like some of the ideas here. As you have shown there are superb deals on large motorhomes.

In the racing community they took this idea and come up with the toterhome. I have been in hundreds of these and the variations are unlimited.
Then you add that you have a real chassis and not some light weight under designed 1 ton with a long frame..you can add the stacker trailer. I have seen complete cnc machine shops in these..
Here is one that sells/customizes these new. But a great sight to see the possibility's

http://www.westsidemotorcoach.com/
I am looking for a "deal" for just such a combo now. They are uber expensive new...but used they have a small percentage of potential buyers compared to motor homes...

http://www.rvt.com/findrv/toterhome.php
Gary
[/URL]

I happen to agree, up to a point. A Class 8 truck is easier to work on and parts are more available. Buses can be very, very hard to work on because the engine compartments are so compact and components are often hidden in weird places.

But you have to compare apples to apples. A Class 8 truck can't be compared to a mid-sized RV chassis. The truck is indeed stronger and better capable of handling heavier loads. It's also more expensive.

Personally, if I had more $$$ I'd consider a truck conversion. If I won the Lotto I'd go with a Newell and have someone follow me around with my bikes and vehicles in a truck conversion. So they do slot in there somewhere.

One thing to mention about truck conversions is that it's hard to find an automatic transmission or automated manual in an older truck, and many people cannot get the hang of shifting an unsynchroed gearbox, which is what you will usually find in a used truck.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #90
PirateJohn OP
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Everything.

Imagine your house going down the road shaking itself to death.

As applied to boats / airplanes / etc., "The happiest day of your life is when you buy XXXX, but the new happiest day of your life is when you sell XXXX"

All old trucks make it home, some just need a towtruck.

One reason to go with a truck and trailer combo. I've been stuck for 2 weeks in a little town because my air pressure on the Wanderlodge went away. In that case I just happened to be across the street from the only RV park in 40 miles when it happened.

There are pros and cons to a Class A motorhome. For people who can afford to travel often - a lifestyle that is vanishing as fuel costs go up - they are handy because you can just stop somewhere, start the generator, and quickly set up camp or use the facilities. Not so simple with a truck and trailer combination.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014