User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
MasoBall OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KLX250s vs CRF250l

Hi I am 5'7 about 140lbs and am going to be buying either a 2010 klx250s with 200 miles, or a new 2013 crf250l. I am totally split on which one I should get.

I really like how the klx has a huge aftermarket selection with big bore kits, and everything, but personally think it looks ugly. However, I really like the look of the crf250l, and the fact that it has fuel injection, but I am concerned if it will not preform as well on the dirt as the klx since the honda is heavier.

I will be doing about 40 street, and 60 dirt with some of jumping. So what do you think would be my most viable option? Which one will preform better in tight trails, and by how much of a difference will it be? Also, I would like to note I would most likely get the klx if it looked exactly the same as the Honda, I just cannot get into the way the Kawasaki looks, and I think the Honda looks sexy! Pricing is not a concern since I will be able to get both at the same price, I will just have to drive a lot further for the klx, but that is not a big deal.

Thank you for any future input!
MasoBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Over the years, I've learned that if I don't have the "hots" for the way the bike looks, I don't enjoy it as much. You're a lightweight at 140#, get the Honda and ride the crap out of it. Unless you are hitting triples at the motox track, either will work well enough. Also, dollars to donuts says you'll wind up riding 75% street and 25% dirt. Honda all the way since they are priced the same.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
The klxs are great bikes but not for jumping! You want to jump get a MX bike.
Lots of upgrade parts out for the klx. Had a few klx s but now ride a wrr. Big improvement.
Get a red klx if you like red better, they look similar.
I think the klx would be cheaper and easy to make more power, mod the air box, drill out the exhaust and jd jet kit wil wake the klx up. For under $100. Klx has adjustable suspension and 20 lbs lighter.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...83.html?page=4

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.

rickcj7 screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 01:18 PM
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Hi all! Just did a bunch of research on these bikes . If low seat height is important get the Honda . It also depends alot on price , you didn't tell us the prices . The KLX is more dirt biased and the Honda more street ,this is a direct result of a little better suspension on the Klx and a little less weight too . Your best bet is to figure out what kind of rider you are and how you are going to use the bike . I was looking at the same kind of bikes . I wound up with a dr200 due to the low seat and low price , it is being used as a guest bike and just to mess around on our property with . It it was just for me I would have bought the KLX , as it is more dirt focused . Can't go wrong either way . Good luck .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I debated on these bikes as well. After extensive research i decide to pull the trigger on the Honda. The main reason was pricing and FI. There are after market parts popping up everyday for the Honda and with a few mods it will be nice in the dirt. Take a look at Ramsey's page as he has done some major modding. And I agree, if you like the way it looks it will be a better ride.

My new CRF250L will be in on Wednesday.
Dago52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Crooked Tree
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I looked at both real hard, but I will be about 90% dirt so the KLX is what I will get. I want to go with a 351, and for me it is much easier to set up a carb that works than to accomplish anything with fuel injection. KLX has more travel and a lot larger forks/rear suspension, and more travel. And I have had a KLX 300 in the past and loved it.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with the Honda, if I was going to buy my wife a bike,and I may, that would probably get the nod. Shorter, and she would not want it modded. Honda's are great bikes too, my street bike is a Honda. I'm sure someone will come up with go fast parts for it.

I have a 32" inseam and have no problem with height of either, but I have spent my whole life on bikes too. You can lower either bike, and then change it back if you choose in the future.

Tough call..........

Larry
Crooked Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I agree. If you don't love it, don't get it.

What is it that you don't like about the kaw? If you put a larger aftermarket tank on it that doesn't use the stock shroud, remove the decals, different pipe, etc, it will look different. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Honda
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
+1 on the Honda.

I too looked at both before going with the CRF250L.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,540
I wanted fi also because I like to spend time in UT at higher altitudes. But I pulled the trigger on the KLX cause it just looked better to me. After spending 10 days lst summer on it in the dirt and all above 5000' in UT, it performed just fine. I did no mod's to it. The light weight is just a blast. I'm older now and don't hell raise anymore, just like to kick-it on down the dirt roads.

In Ut
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
MasoBall OP
n00b

Hey thanks everyone for the input much appreciated! I went ahead and bought the Honda. I have not really been able to test it yet, but I will come back later tomorrow and let everyone know how I feel about it with tighter trails. So far it is perfect height for me, could be a little smaller, but it's great the way it is. Love the way it looks, and always did like the reliability of the Honda motors. I'm sure the Kawi has just as many pro's and con's as the Honda, but the Honda was just calling to me. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
MasoBall OP
n00b

Hey guys checking back in to tell you how I feel about my first ride with my bike. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! You honestly can't go wrong with it. It was really muddy out in the trails, but still handled wonderfully. It was also extremely smooth on the road. I see good times coming from this bike!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
De250r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasoBall View Post
Hey guys checking back in to tell you how I feel about my first ride with my bike. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! You honestly can't go wrong with it. It was really muddy out in the trails, but still handled wonderfully. It was also extremely smooth on the road. I see good times coming from this bike!
And that is all that matters. I love my klx250s more every time I ride it. And u can't go wrong with a Honda.

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
Live free and ride hard
De250r is offline   Reply With Quote