Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #61
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Better to burn up/outgrow a 250 than get hurt bad first time out on a heavy bike. Just ask my ankle.

Sarah
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #62
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Better to burn up/outgrow a 250 than get hurt bad first time out on a heavy bike. Just ask my ankle.

Sarah
It's not a matter of simply "outgrowing" this 250. She's driving 200 highway-speed miles, round trip, to get this bike into the mud. It's a matter of buying a bike that is going to fit the job. It actually blows my mind that everyone is suggesting a 250, and I'm alone in suggesting a 650. I feel like John Hammond sitting in the projector room in Jurassic Park. I think everyone read "single track, first time rider" and just jumped to a 250 without also reading "100 highway speed miles," "to and from work," and "around town." There are more than manageable 650's out there, i.e. the DR650 (which comes with the option to lower) that are forgiving of new riders. It's not a heavy bike, it's well suited for 200 miles of highway driving, and absolutely perfect for what OP will REALISTICALLY be doing with it.
kid_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #63
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,199
You are one opinion...and duly noted.

If you don't think your DR is heavy, come riding with me for a day...I'm not far (you can ride down...watch the Boston/Cambridge DS thread), and you can see the difference first hand

There appear to be plenty of first hand accounts of long distance riding on the WR250R.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #64
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Very true and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
She said shes 5 foot 8.Shes probably taller than half of the guys on here.
Don't forget a 33" inseam... I have a 30" inseam, and with my WRr lowered with the factory adjustments I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet. She could probably flat foot it, and at nearly 100 lbs lighter than me, dust me in a drag race.

I love my WRr and my previous bike was an XR650L. The WRr can commute and do single-track with easy (14-49 gearing on my). Excellent 6spd gearbox, F.I. , and a really great engine

Not too mention, my WRr is far more comfortable than my XRL with corbin seat on long distance rides, and has no problem going 72mph on the interstate for hours at a time. overall it is a far superior bike than my old XRL, even if it is only a 250. I had given up on commuting on the xrl and decided to get the WRr for more off-road. Much to my surprise, it was more versatile, and began commuting on a bike again. I put more miles on my WRr in one season than the last 3 combined on the XRL, over 7000 in it's 1st season for the WRr.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next

byron555 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:23 AM
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #65
kid_A
who dat ninja

I ride a G650GS. The only reason I brought up the DR was because I just test road a 2012 last week and absolutely loved it. I still say for what OP's bike is going to realistically (not ideally) be used for, a 650 is the way to go. I just don't want OP to swear off all 650's because she's just starting out and it's what everyone tells her she's "supposed" to be riding. Personally, I'd rather grow into a motorcycle than out of it. If you're responsible with it, take your time to get used to it, and respect the bike's power, you won't be shattering ankles.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #66
kid_A
who dat ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Don't forget a 33" inseam... I have a 30" inseam, and with my WRr lowered with the factory adjustments I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet. She could probably flat foot it, and at nearly 100 lbs lighter than me, dust me in a drag race.

I love my WRr and my previous bike was an XR650L. The WRr can commute and do single-track with easy (14-49 gearing on my). Excellent 6spd gearbox, F.I. , and a really great engine
Central WI? Where abouts? I grew up in Burlington/Lake Geneva area.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #67
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post
I ride a G650GS. The only reason I brought up the DR was because I just test road a 2012 last week and absolutely loved it. I still say for what OP's bike is going to realistically (not ideally) be used for, a 650 is the way to go. I just don't want OP to swear off all 650's because she's just starting out and it's what everyone tells her she's "supposed" to be riding. Personally, I'd rather grow into a motorcycle than out of it. If you're responsible with it, take your time to get used to it, and respect the bike's power, you won't be shattering ankles.
Agreed.

I also think these threads are a complete waste of time/space/electrons
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #68
kid_A
who dat ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Agreed.

Also think these threads are a complete waste of time/space/electrons
It sure beats doing actual work during the day though
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #69
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
It's not a matter of simply "outgrowing" this 250. She's driving 200 highway-speed miles, round trip, to get this bike into the mud. It's a matter of buying a bike that is going to fit the job. It actually blows my mind that everyone is suggesting a 250, and I'm alone in suggesting a 650. I feel like John Hammond sitting in the projector room in Jurassic Park. I think everyone read "single track, first time rider" and just jumped to a 250 without also reading "100 highway speed miles," "to and from work," and "around town." There are more than manageable 650's out there, i.e. the DR650 (which comes with the option to lower) that are forgiving of new riders. It's not a heavy bike, it's well suited for 200 miles of highway driving, and absolutely perfect for what OP will REALISTICALLY be doing with it.
Yes it is. So are the dual sport 250s.

The real answer is two bikes. Even if the bike that can do miles of commuting and be light enough for singletrack exists, the tires for that don't. You're either smoking knobbies every two weeks, or playing slip and slide with Trailwings on wet Washington trails, or playing the tire change game every friday and sunday night.

You're in a plateable dirt bike state: get a WR250F (about 255 lbs) or CRF250X (same) or even a KTM 250XCFW (230 or 240) and plate it for your riding to the trails dual sport.
Commute with it for a while. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you'll decide you want a bigger bike for the street. Maybe that bigger bike will even be a DR650, hopefully it won't be a KLR.
Either way beats trying to learn off road on a DR650 with traditional Trailwings in sloppy clay (which is probably what you'll find)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #70
kid_A
who dat ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Yes it is. So are the dual sport 250s.

The real answer is two bikes. Even if the bike that can do miles of commuting and be light enough for singletrack exists, the tires for that don't. You're either smoking knobbies every two weeks, or playing slip and slide with Trailwings on wet Washington trails, or playing the tire change game every friday and sunday night.

You're in a plateable dirt bike state: get a WR250F (about 255 lbs) or CRF250X (same) or even a KTM 250XCFW (230 or 240) and plate it for your riding to the trails dual sport.
Commute with it for a while. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you'll decide you want a bigger bike for the street. Maybe that bigger bike will even be a DR650, hopefully it won't be a KLR.
Either way beats trying to learn off road on a DR650 with traditional Trailwings in sloppy clay (which is probably what you'll find)
I dunno, I didn't think it was that heavy. I'm pretty huge though, so....*sniffle*
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #71
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 87
The "living spirit of Aten"; very interesting screen name.

How 'bout one more opinion to add to the pile? After re-reading your original post & profile, it seems that if you're gonna put on that many miles commuting & riding to the hills, the best "bang for the buck" would be the Honda CRF250L. Low price, warranty, F.I., fuel mileage, low seat height, low maintenance, and the aftermarket has gone crazy with parts for it. Handguards, skidplate, gas it & go!

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to ride 100 miles to the dirt? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of places a lot closer to your location for that kinda fun. I'm sure the locals would be happy to show you around.
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #72
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
>"outgrowing" this 250. She's driving 200 highway-speed miles, round trip, to get this bike into the mud."

I typically ride the WR250R 400 miles a day... and that's on a dualsport ride. Couple hundred pavement, couple hundred USFS dirt. WRR will do pavement fine. Honda 250L... probably fine too.

I'd NOT pick a 650 as a starter bike.
If the rider out grows a 250... I'd pick a KTM690.
Pretty light, good power, strong suspension, good lifespan on the engine.

I have 6 bikes, from an FJR 1300 down to a XT225. If I had to eliminate all of the stable but 1 bike... as of right now, I'd pick the WR250 as the bike I'd keep.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #73
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I get what you're saying ... and I'm a long time DR650 owner. But am also a dirt bike instructor and have taught many women and re-entry riders in the last 20 years.

Key element is FUN. To have FUN you have to build confidence. A low, light weight, Un-intimidating bike seems to be the answer for Dirt Noobs.
Yes ... a 100 miles on highway is a long way on a 250. So maybe she can get a ride with her boyfriend in his truck? Or find trails or fire roads closer by? Lots of options. Sure, the DR650 is the LOWEST (if modified) of ANY bike in the 650 class ... including the F650 BMW's. But it's still 370 lbs. wet. A good 250 like the CRF230 is 100 lbs. lighter.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #74
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Earth to OP... Over?

ADVrider is filled with a bunch of can-do people. We've taken your 5 bike options and narrowed them down to 20 in no time.

Nice post BTW. It's clear to me you have a priority to learn and ride more technical offroad on a dualsport. The 250s are your friend. Seems like the best four choices are:

WR250R
KLX250S
CRF250L
DRZ400S

All of those bikes are pretty good. If it were me, I'd favor the KLX because you can get a used one for less and it has a pretty good performance aftermarket if you want more power (300 or 351) and suspension upgrades. So it's a bike you can grow into or sell without a big depreciation loss if you decide you want bigger after getting some experience.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #75
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
KTM free ride 350 cc.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote