Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #76
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
i must be the only one who thinks this is the perfect "single track" offroad starter bike:

+

=

As we have all said there is no bike that is going to be accommodating to the novice both on road and off. Bikes that are good for beginners offroad lack the get-up-and-go required for safe beginner street riding (ie 100miles on the highway). Beginner street bikes are too heavy for single track and "real" offroad riding.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #77
Akhenaten OP
"I wanna go fast!"

Oddometer: 12
Thanks again for all your help! I was going to look at the WR250R that was for sale on Craigslist in Amboy, WA (the ad pnw mentioned) but it was sold just hours before I got there I agree with everyone who said I should probably start small - though I'd love to get a bigger cc engine, I'm just learning how to ride off-road and coming from the mountain bike world, I realize I'm not anticipating the weight of a motorcycle laying on top of me on a muddy slope.

RideNow - yep, that's what's Akhenaten means! He was the only monotheistic pharaoh during a time when polytheism was huge.

And yes, I realize my numbers are a little off, and I just found an OHV spot near my apt, so I'll probably be looking for people to ride with soon. I'll put up pictures when I finally buy - should be soon!!! And then I'll buy another and another and....

Thanks again. Everyone really helped me out. I was about ready to throw up my hands and let the loan expire. But now I'll be looking seriously at the WR250R and the CRF250L.
Akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #78
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Excellent call. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed with a 250. I was inspired by riding with a friend who brought along a TW200 to run some nasty and muddy rock sections this past fall. Me mate is a full-grown guy, and I was sniggering a little bit we he showed on a low-seat girly bike with 15 huge horsepower and silly looking tires.

I know that the bike would do road, because the first time I met him, he'd ridden the TW back from the dark wilds of Maine on tarmac in acceptable time.

I was on my DRZ400 E, which easily doubles the horsepower of the TW.

When it came to the really snotty sections, the SOB SAT DOWN and purred up the roughness with nary a dab. I was getting tossed around pretty well. I made it up the worst section chucking rocks, sweating freely, and dabbing more than I'd like.

If you want to prove that you've got huge ovaries, buy something that breathes fire. If you want to enjoy trail riding and have no intention to be a racer, buy something that's as light as you an find, but still tractable for road riding. I'm seeing lots of experienced riders going back to light, smaller displacement bikes and enjoying the hell out of it. The modern 250ish class is pretty refined, and can be a hoot to ride. They run at a speed where non-professional riders can have a good time at safe and sane speeds.

Would you rather be sitting at a wonderful mountain overlook admiring the view, or sitting in a recliner comparing the rods and screws in various parts of your anatomy? Most of the hell-for-leather folk I know look like Frankenstein somewhere.

I hope you enjoy the journey, and hope to see you on the trails.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #79
BBeck
Adventurer to be

Oddometer: 23
I have a 2010 WR250R you can try, if interested

Hi Akhenaten:

I have the above bike that I'm thinking of selling. It only has about 500 miles on it with a few aftermarket parts. I'm the original owner and bought it new in 2011 locally.

I live in the Seattle area, so it would be a bit of a drive. PM if interested.

Regards,
Brad Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Thanks again for all your help! I was going to look at the WR250R that was for sale on Craigslist in Amboy, WA (the ad pnw mentioned) but it was sold just hours before I got there I agree with everyone who said I should probably start small - though I'd love to get a bigger cc engine, I'm just learning how to ride off-road and coming from the mountain bike world, I realize I'm not anticipating the weight of a motorcycle laying on top of me on a muddy slope.

RideNow - yep, that's what's Akhenaten means! He was the only monotheistic pharaoh during a time when polytheism was huge.

And yes, I realize my numbers are a little off, and I just found an OHV spot near my apt, so I'll probably be looking for people to ride with soon. I'll put up pictures when I finally buy - should be soon!!! And then I'll buy another and another and....

Thanks again. Everyone really helped me out. I was about ready to throw up my hands and let the loan expire. But now I'll be looking seriously at the WR250R and the CRF250L.
BBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #80
Akhenaten OP
"I wanna go fast!"

I did it!!!! I bought a used 2012 WR250R and it is absolutely perfect for me and my current skill level. Thanks so much!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #81
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,428
Quote:
I did it!!!! I bought a used 2012 WR250R and it is absolutely perfect for me and my current skill level. Thanks so much!!!!!!
Pics wtf
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #82
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,444
Congrats
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #83
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,685
Nice bike!! Be sure to check out these links:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

Sarah
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #84
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Akhenaten - In case you have not figured it out yet - your original stipulation of capability requiring 200 miles of highway speed is a huge factor. Currently, there is *no good dirt bike* that is capable of fulfilling that requirement. Any of the big 650's make horrible dirt bikes, IMO. A mighty KTM 500 *might* do it, but it will not like it, nor will it last very long pulling that kind of duty, unless you gear it very high, pretty much destroying its dirt capability.
Around here, highway duty means holding a sustained speed of 75-85 mph indicated. A small WR250R *might* do it, but you will feel really bad for its motor.
Again, IMO, you would do better to buy a good dirt bike, and haul it to your destination with a small single rail trailer.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #85
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Well, Good for you! That is probably the best bike for what you intend to do.
Have fun, and stay safe!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #86
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen...

Congratulations!
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #87
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Akhenaten - In case you have not figured it out yet - your original stipulation of capability requiring 200 miles of highway speed is a huge factor. Currently, there is *no good dirt bike* that is capable of fulfilling that requirement. Any of the big 650's make horrible dirt bikes, IMO. A mighty KTM 500 *might* do it, but it will not like it, nor will it last very long pulling that kind of duty, unless you gear it very high, pretty much destroying its dirt capability.
Around here, highway duty means holding a sustained speed of 75-85 mph indicated. A small WR250R *might* do it, but you will feel really bad for its motor.
Again, IMO, you would do better to buy a good dirt bike, and haul it to your destination with a small single rail trailer.
Not all of us plan on riding East Coast Woods conditions. The OP is a NOVICE off road rider. My guess is he'll stick mostly to two track and Fire Roads for the first year or so. Out West things are a lot more wide open, you can go hundreds of miles on dirt roads. Even my DR650 does all that easily. The WR is a great choice ... and perfect for a Novice rider to learn off road riding ... and still have fun!

I agree ... at 85 mph a WR250R will be spinning up. But once again ... is the OP really going to ride that way around Vancouver, WA? I doubt it. You're ridden around there, right?

The definition of "dirt bike" obviously varies among riders. My DR650 has got me round Baja on several major rides ... and I rode there on the interstate ... 700 miles each way. NO truck involved thanks. In Baja I did another 2000 miles ... about 500 of that off road following parts of the Baja 1000 course.

So Horses for Courses ...
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #88
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
I've been lurking around here for many hours each day, trying to find myself just the right bike to buy. I have my loan in my sweaty hand and I'm ready to buy.... something.

A few details about me:

1. I'm a 140lb, 32 year old female - I lift heavy weights so bike weight is of less concern. I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam.

2. I live in the Pacific NW and have very little riding experience and very rusty mechanical skills. I love the power of motorcycles so I'm not afraid of something that suddenly goes fast.

3. I intend to ride around town and to/from work (20 highway miles each way). I also intend to ride it approximately 100 highway-speed miles to the mountains on the weekends, where (my main goal) is to learn how to ride off-road. If I had to assign a ratio, it would be 40 on/60 off.

4. Comfort on the highway is less important than having a decent platform on which to learn how to ride off-road. And off-road meaning fun singletrack with mud, creeks, obstacles. I'm not really into crazy jumps and boulder-hopping.

So there it is. The perfect dual-sport, which I know is impossible. I've been two seconds shy of laying down money on the following bikes:

- BMW G650GS (not as good off-road)
- Kawi KLR650 (not as good off-road, too top-heavy)
- Suz DRZ400 (I forget why I knocked this one off my list)
- KTM 450EXC (KTM dealer said too much bike for my experience level)
- Husky TE310 (definitely not an on-road bike to get to the mountains)

I'd appreciate any thoughts/insight/wisdom/advice/jokes, any info anyone might have to share in the torture of finding just the right bike.

Thanks so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not all of us plan on riding East Coast Woods conditions. The OP is a NOVICE off road rider. My guess is he'll stick mostly to two track and Fire Roads for the first year or so. Out West things are a lot more wide open, you can go hundreds of miles on dirt roads. Even my DR650 does all that easily. The WR is a great choice ... and perfect for a Novice rider to learn off road riding ... and still have fun!

I agree ... at 85 mph a WR250R will be spinning up. But once again ... is the OP really going to ride that way around Vancouver, WA? I doubt it. You're ridden around there, right?

The definition of "dirt bike" obviously varies among riders. My DR650 has got me round Baja on several major rides ... and I rode there on the interstate ... 700 miles each way. NO truck involved thanks. In Baja I did another 2000 miles ... about 500 of that off road following parts of the Baja 1000 course.
I think you need to edit your post. You got the wrong gender.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #89
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
I think you need to edit your post. You got the wrong gender.
Whoops ... been a while since this topic was active ... my mistake! But everything I said ... is still relevant. the WR, if low enough, is ideal.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #90
Akhenaten OP
"I wanna go fast!"

Here it is!!! PROOF!!!!

[IMG] photo Vancouver-20130309-00121.jpg[/IMG]