User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
wardie OP
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 198
DRZ-125L tire size change

I have a 2007 DRZ 125 L which comes with 19" front and 16" rear. I'd like a little more clearance and wondered if I could purchase an 18" on 19" rim or wheel that would fit without much or any modification and I wouldn't have wheen interference?

I am running this bike as a mini motard and with the 16" rear wheel and my weight I grind the pegs too much. Any/all help appreciated!

I am just looking at changing the rear wheel setup. Thanks Wardie
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
wardie OP
2 Wheel Power Hour

geez hard to believe

Come on man someones gotta know if an 18" or 19" will fit my swing arm?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 690
Try asking these guys, they seem to know a thing or 2 about the DRZ125: http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/drz125-klx125.html

There is also a DRZ125 specific forum on Thumpertalk that will likely turn up some results.

It would be easy enough to find out if a 18" or 19" wheel would fit, just measure how much free space you have in front of your rear wheel right now and then measure from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of the fender. I'd measure mine, but I have small wheels (shorter swingarm) and modified suspension so it would be different than yours. If you have room, these guys can get you a spoke and rim combo to work with your existing hub: http://buchananspokes.net/

I know you are just asking about the rear wheel, but another route to go that would get your pegs up higher would be suspension. Do you have stock suspension? The RM/KX 85/100 forks bolt right on as does a CR85 rear shock (I modified an RM85 rear shock to work) and these mods will raise your seat/peg height ~2".
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
wardie OP
2 Wheel Power Hour

thanks

Thanks The Letter J. I'll measure that space and see what I can fit. Since this is a road racing motard not dirt use can you tell me since I have a 19 on the front would it be better to have an 18 or 17 on the rear providing they fit?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 690
I'm no expert on motard setup (I don't even play one on TV) but I would think that running a 17" in the rear would give you better road tire selection as well as keeping chassis geometry closer to where it is now (vs taller 18" or 19" wheel/tire combo's.) The 17" definitely fits in the "L" swingarm too if you use a smaller/low profile tire (meant for front wheel applications.)

If you still have the stock swingarm, it would be VERY easy to just cut it and sleeve it with box tubing to make it long enough to fit an 18" or 19" wheel and then just do the same to the rear brake rod and get a longer chain.

Here is the DRZ125 forum at thumpertalk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/26-dr-z-125125l250/
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote