User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Low Budget OP
Stuck for now

Oddometer: 526
Midsize Dualsport Suggestions ?

Im thinking of upgradeing out of a Yamaha XT 350. Not interested in going up to a full 650. Something in the 400 to 500cc or so range would be best.

It needs to be reasonable seat height, street legal, and for the most part able to cruise highway a bit faster and stronger than my 350.

It will be mostly gravel and sand roads for off road, with the occasional rocky or rooty woods and hillsides. No real hardcore rough stuff. A KLR 650 kinda bike, but lower, lighter, smaller. Had a few KTM's in the past, dont wanna go orange again though.

Maybe Suzuki DR series, or whats another option. Thinking in the range of '09 and older.

Thanks !

Low Budget screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 10:52 AM
Low Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Buliwyf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I chose a DRZ400 S for what you decribe.

I prefer hitting 55mph backroads instead of highway. But that's the way it's supposed to be with ADV travel.
Buliwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,383
DR350SE

factory legal, six spd... can be found cheap and they're XR reliable
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Low Budget OP
Stuck for now

The DRZ 400 was one of my thoughts. I have to wonder how much more capeable it is of 60 MPH on the pavement for a stretch than my XT 350 ?

I have rode a KLR 650 and found it more than adequate for the use Im intending it for. My old 350 just hasnt got the H.P. to comfortably swing 60 MPH into a headwind for any extended stretch.

I need a bike that can easily be happy for a 30 mile stretch of pavement at full highway speed without too much strain. The old XT isnt happy at those speeds if it goes on for more than a few miles........it will do it , but you can tell its a strain. What I need is something midway between the XT and the KLR 650.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
You want the bike that everyone wants, a Japanese built 450 with, 6-speed trans, water cooled, 6 gal. fuel tank, fuel injection, 320 lbs. total weight, rear rack, and for a list price of $6500.00. I want one too, in red, lime green, blue, or yellow, who can every get one to production 1st is the one I will buy.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
DR350SE

factory legal, six spd... can be found cheap and they're XR reliable
+1.

'98-'99 DS models came with the dirt suspension. Throw a big-bore, exhaust, and pumper carb on it. If you can find a more aggressive cam, that might give you a bit of boost on power too. I believe the DRs all have screw/locknut valves and are either air-cooled or air/oil-cooled. The SACS air/oil-cooling works great. The DR-Z400s have shims and liquid-cooling.

The DR-Z400 can be built for plenty of power, but it's tall and has a close-ratio 5spd. You can gear it for dirt or gear it for slab, but it doesn't have a great gearspread for doing both. You would think Suzuki would make it as easy to change sprockets as on the DR650SE, or spread the gearing out by now, but they don't seem to care.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
What don't you like about the XT350? I have an XT225 and was thinking the XT350 would be just right. Only 25 pounds heavier but with a larger more advanced engine.
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Low Budget OP
Stuck for now

Basically the XT 350 is about the right ergos Im looking for. However the suspension is very outdated, and it hasnt got the power to swing highway gearing at full highway speeds comfortably for any distance.

Like I said, it will do it but I can tell its not happy being pushed like that.

A KLR 650 is the right idea for what Im going toward.....its just a bit too big and heavy for my likeing. I wonder how bulky and tall a Suzuki DR 650 is ?

(By the way, I have been riding for allmost 40 years and have had a huge amount of all kinds of bikes.....just need to find the right midweight dualsport for semi-retiree easy going backcountry adventure. )
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
You want the bike that everyone wants, a Japanese built 450 with, 6-speed trans, water cooled, 6 gal. fuel tank, fuel injection, 320 lbs. total weight, rear rack, and for a list price of $6500.00. I want one too, in red, lime green, blue, or yellow, who can every get one to production 1st is the one I will buy.

John
Sign me up for one of these!

OP, I love my DRZ, but there are times when I'm in 5th on the highway and I find myself upshifting for a 6th gear that isn't there. It'll do 65 all day, I don't know that I'd want to.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Low Budget OP
Stuck for now

On the DRZ 400, I dont like the idea of a close ratio 5 speed. Also if its a tall bike to start with, thats not what will fit me well. Im aware of all the custom seat options, but want to start with a basically right machine as a start.

The lowish seat height of the XT and all the ergos fit my 5' 7" size nicely. It allows you to both kick start from a standing position and paddle with your feet in the tough deep stuff easily.

I suffered my share on skyscraper tall KTM's a decade ago !
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,320
KLR owner myself

As a dirtier alternative, I am considering a Yammie WR250R someday as a 2nd bike. They have lower links to cover you needs. Also plenty of aftermarkets, seats, bags, it's injected and has six speeds and gets great MPG.

Otherwise, check out the line of Husky's, they got one in every size you could ever need, 250-650 and several tweeners, great value for the money, I uncrate and assemble them at work.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
The DRZ 400 was one of my thoughts. I have to wonder how much more capeable it is of 60 MPH on the pavement for a stretch than my XT 350 ?
with stock gearing, the S model will cruise at 60mph all day long 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year without any problem (15,000 miles on my 2009...i've changed the oil and cleaned the air filter regularly...change the fork oil every now and then. i had to replace a leaky counter shaft seal and worn out wheel bearings. other than that no issues at all except broken turn signals, etc. from me crashing it in the dirt).

i have mine geared down to 14/47 and it still will cruise at 60mph comfortably for 30+ miles.

it's *heavy* in the woods, though.

btw, my plated KTM 450 xc-w is also geared down for tight single track, but is still happy to cruise at 70mph all day long (it has a 6 speed, wide ratio tranny)...and it is absolutely awesome in the woods. more fun on the street than my DRZ, too.

gotta change the oil fairly often, but if i were to suggest a bike for what you want to do, the KTM 450 exc or plated xc-w is what i would recommend...and whatever comes in 2nd isn't going to be even close.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Basically the XT 350 is about the right ergos Im looking for. However the suspension is very outdated, and it hasnt got the power to swing highway gearing at full highway speeds comfortably for any distance.

Like I said, it will do it but I can tell its not happy being pushed like that.

A KLR 650 is the right idea for what Im going toward.....its just a bit too big and heavy for my likeing. I wonder how bulky and tall a Suzuki DR 650 is ?

(By the way, I have been riding for allmost 40 years and have had a huge amount of all kinds of bikes.....just need to find the right midweight dualsport for semi-retiree easy going backcountry adventure. )
The Suzuki and Kawasaki websites have the weight and height specs. The KLR is heavier, taller, and more complicated than the DR650SE. It simply feels much bigger than the DR. No bike is going to be exactly what you want right off the showroom floor though. The DR is heavier than it seemed like you wanted, at around 325 dry and 367 curb. I usually have no trouble picking it up in the sand and mud repeatedly, at 5'8"/200lb/30" inseam, but I'm ridiculously strong for my size. Many people complain about the weight of the DR. Heck, many people complain about the weight of the DR-Z, and even the DR350SE. I'm guessing that they must not ride streetbikes much though, where 400lb is considered light. There are even people that complain about the seat height of the DR, but it's the lowest jap 650 dualsport, and it can be made considerably lower pretty easily...down to about 30" before one really has to get creative/custom.

The suspension on almost any new bike is going to need some work. The DR suspension is a bit antiquated and undervalved/undersprung if you're over 160lb. Most DS bikes are. Even the fully-adjustable WR250R is not really up to race specs. I have just heavier springs in my DR's suspension and it works fine for slow-to-medium pace offroad for me. I don't try to skim whoops or clear doubles with it though. I ride a more exploratory and playing around kind of pace. With a few mods, it runs 70MPH slab better than my Yamaha Radian 600 now, and I still ride it in the sand and mud like a dirtbike on weekends.

For the DR...Bigger tanks are easy to find. Better suspension is easy to find. Better seats are easy to find. More power is easy to find. Shaving much weight can be a challenge.

Take some different bikes for test-rides, and study their aftermarket options. See what is a deal-breaker for you and what isn't.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
Low Budget OP
Stuck for now

So, the Suzuki DR 650 is all around smaller and lighter than a KLR 650 ?

This is sounding like a possibility. 325 dry is not a deal breaker.......I rode alot of street bikes in the 500 pound range, and Im betting some of my older larger enduro's were a solid 300.

Are the DR 650's easy to maintain ? Do they last long with average maintenance? Are there certain years that they have substancial improvments over older editions ?

Im not looking for a serious dirt machine.......I woulda kept my 300 EXC if that was the case. No, its just a easy exploring bike mostly for fire roads and gravel / dirt roads. Just have to ride highway sections at normal traffic pace for 30 mile stretches in between off road areas.......this is where the old XT 350 is the biggest drawback, it just isnt strong enough for the 60 MPH pavement sections.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
DR650 or DRZ400S

Just sold the DR650 and got a DRZ400S. Both will cruise 60 to 70 mph all day. I'm 6' 1" and the seating is just a bit different on the two. For me the DRZ wears me out quickly at speeds above 60. Seems I'm more upright on the DRZ. Cruising 55 to 60 on the DRZ works for 6 to 8 hour day of riding.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote