Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #31
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,483
OP, I saw one of your last statements that indicated that price wasn't an issue. I think that narrows it down to the KTM690. If you're really needing a bike to run the occasional off road situation and then transition to running 80mph on the highway, the 690 probably does it better than anything else. And when I say "off road", I'm not talking about dirt roads and mediocre 2-track. If you want one bike that car truly do both ends of the spectrum with some respectable competency, the 690 is probably the best compromise.

Honestly, you're just about asking the impossible of a motorcycle, but the 690 can probably just about deliver in all categories...and it only weighs about what your WRR weighs.

The WR450 is a great bike, but it would suck on pavement for the way you're describing its use.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post
Unless things have changed the Beta's 400/450/520 RS have the old KTM RFS motor in them. I use a beta shop manual for my 03 450EXC because its more detailed.
Things have changed.
Since 2011 I think, Beta has been making their own motors. Pretty sure it's a DOHC.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #33
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,653
Personally I think you have the right combination already. But I know what you mean about the WR lacking a little torque. I recently picked up a KTM 450 to fill that need, but the WR still makes a better lightweight touring combo.

KTM 500 looks like a great bike, but unless you are going minimalist I sure wouldn't want to "Adventure Tour" on it. Hauling luggage is an issue, gas range, hwy ergo's, etc. Just not the right tool for that job. Now day trips! You bet!

The 690 seems like the logical choice for what you are looking for. I think you're going to have to give up your kickstart dream. Join AAA instead. I think you're limited on some farkles, but looks like a kick ass platform.

Personally I'd wait on the Terra. First year models scare me...especially from Husky.

My local dealer has a Beta Enduro set up that looks kick ass. But it's not cheap, and parts could be an issue. I think they went away from the KTM power plants recently, but could be wrong.

On the cheap, a well farkled DR650 is also a good choice. Those can be set up as great bikes, but could be big $$$ to get it even close to a KTM, and even then...it's still a Suzuki

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post
The name had crossed my mind a few times but I never really checked them out.

Beta has 3 new dual sport offerings. The 400/450/520 RS... and they have a pretty neat BYOB (Build Your Own Beta) customizer that has some really nice looking farkles.

I wouldn't even know where the hell to go to purchase a Beta. So far they look right along the lines of what I am looking for... kickstart and all. I'll have to do some digging to find out their reliability.
Hey X , I can hook you up with a Beta. Just up the road (when you get home) in Leoma, TN. http://www.tnaor.com/ If you get serious PM me. I know people I can even get you a demo ride on one of the offroad models. I don't know if he stocks or plans to stock the dualsports or not.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
the 690 can probably just about deliver in all categories...and it only weighs about what your WRR weighs.
Well, 336 lbs. vs. 301 lbs. -- according to Cycle World's scale. The 690 is lighter than the Japanese competition, but it's no EXC.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
On the cheap, a well farkled DR650 is also a good choice. Those can be set up as great bikes, but could be big $$$ to get it even close to a KTM, and even then...it's still a Suzuki
"still a Suzuki" ? Yep, and in terms of long range service life ... that is a GOOD THING. My DR650 has 50,000 miles with lots of dirt riding. Not ONE problem. Many DR's out there have similar mileage nowadays. The DR650 has been re-discovered by many here on ADV. Just check out the 14 million view BIG DR650 Thread. Not all that much money to bring it up to snuff. Really, about $1500 is what it takes. No ... won't be a Ready To Race KTM, but as a broad use dual sport and travel bike, not bad at all.

How many regional, national AMA Motocross, GNCC, AMA Enduro, Road Race or SuperCross championships have KTM won? How about Suzuki? Answer: Hundreds going back 30 years. KTM now make good dirt bikes ... but Suzuki is decades ahead overall as a motorcycle company making dozens of models in ALL segments. KTM's future is now uncertain
given Bajaj are now calling the tune. I hope Bajaj let Pierer continue to guide KTM.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
"still a Suzuki" ? Yep, and in terms of long range service life ... that is a GOOD THING. My DR650 has 50,000 miles with lots of dirt riding. Not ONE problem. Many DR's out there have similar mileage nowadays. The DR650 has been re-discovered by many here on ADV. Just check out the 14 million view BIG DR650 Thread. Not all that much money to bring it up to snuff. Really, about $1500 is what it takes. No ... won't be a Ready To Race KTM, but as a broad use dual sport and travel bike, not bad at all.

How many regional, national AMA Motocross, GNCC, AMA Enduro, Road Race or SuperCross championships have KTM won? How about Suzuki? Answer: Hundreds going back 30 years. KTM now make good dirt bikes ... but Suzuki is decades ahead overall as a motorcycle company making dozens of models in ALL segments. KTM's future is now uncertain
given Bajaj are now calling the tune. I hope Bajaj let Pierer continue to guide KTM.
Wow...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #38
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

How many regional, national AMA Motocross, GNCC, AMA Enduro, Road Race or SuperCross championships .
dr 650 won hundreds of these championships?
Im not into trashing bikes, i can apreciate them all but Im curious how many dr650s are used for rally races (690 is the choice for many).
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
Sharan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
IMHO AG referred to Suzuki motorcycles in general, not specifically to DR650.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #40
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
Well, 336 lbs. vs. 301 lbs. -- according to Cycle World's scale. The 690 is lighter than the Japanese competition, but it's no EXC.
I see all kinds of diverse weights thrown around the magazinge world constantly on this bike. Here's Cycle World claiming 295 wet in another article.

http://motorcycles.cycleworld.com/l/...-Yamaha-WR250R

I have two acquaintances with these bikes, though both have aftermarket pipes on these to drop a little weight. Their best methods of weighing on two different scale systems were between 298 and 301 with about 1/2 a stock tank of fuel.

I don't think anyone will claim that the 690 is going to be a 530, but the OP's obvious requirement of relatively high pavement speeds for sustained periods kind of removes the 530 from mix IMO. The 530 is another great bike like the WR450, but they just don't do well when you're really going to be traveling on them for any distance.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #41
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post
Right now it seems as if the 690 is winning. I could sell the Tiger and the WR250R and the 690 could replace them both. I just wish it had a kick start.
No you don't

Ain't no way you are going to kickstart a 690cc engine. Or want to, for that matter. I doubt you could do it.....and/or probably just break your leg trying. Ho-Chi-Momma!

This Thread is pretty funny, actually...

Personally, I never let a Spec Sheet get in the way of a good ride. There's just no substitute for some time in the saddle to form your own opinion.

Doesn't matter what you buy, if it's just eye candy in the garage. I hope you get the chance to ride a lot more soon.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #42
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
No you don't

Ain't no way you are going to kickstart a 690cc engine. Or want to, for that matter. I doubt you could do it.....and/or probably just break your leg trying. Ho-Chi-Momma!

Personally, I never let a Spec Sheet get in the way of a good ride. There's just no substitute for some time in the saddle to form your own opinion.

Doesn't matter what you buy, if it's just eye candy in the garage. I hope you get the chance to ride a lot more soon.

HF

Best post in this thread... Especially the part I bolded.
amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #43
28marcb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I've owned a dr650, ktm690, wr250 and now a 350exc. I owned the dr, ktm690 and wr simultaneously; and can say the 690 is the best street bike and in most instances the best dirt bike of all three. The 690 on the road has enough power that it accelerates as hard from 60-80 as it does from 40-60. It's smoother than the wr at 75 and is just barely humming along. My old 525 felt similar in power but was nowhere near as smooth. In the dirt is where it's dual sport nature is most noticed. Yes the suspension is light years ahead of the dr's and about a century ahead of the wr, the 690's lack of steering stop to stop turning, super tall seat height, the aforementioned power and 325 pounds of well hidden weight keep it from the prowess of a true dirt bike.
My dr was tricked with drz front end, cogent shock, procycle 190 cam, high comp piston, pumper carb and two bros pipe. On the dr I did several multi hundred mile days with many of those miles at 75 down I-10. Not as smooth as the 690, but not bad either. I paid 2200 for the bike and sunk another 2 grand in mods so for under 4500 ended up with a bike that performed about 85 to 90 percent as well as my 11000 dollar 690. Granted there is no amount of money that could get a dr to the performance level of the 690, my point being the dr is a real value that responds very well to mods.
I weighed all three bikes at an aluminum can recycling place: wr 298lbs tank full of gas. 690 327lbs tank full of gas. Dr650 343lbs little to no gas, but with 18-20 lbs of rack, top case and tank bag. As you can see all three bikes are substantially heavier than true dirt bikes. All three are true dual sports designed to have less rigorous maintenance schedule and travel many miles.
What I have taken from this is that for long mileage runs, mild to medium off road work and and a maintenance schedule that fits in the average working class family man's schedule a well setup dr650 is a hard value to beat.
Ktm 690R
28marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #44
xathor OP
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
Hey X , I can hook you up with a Beta. Just up the road (when you get home) in Leoma, TN. http://www.tnaor.com/ If you get serious PM me. I know people I can even get you a demo ride on one of the offroad models. I don't know if he stocks or plans to stock the dualsports or not.

The 520 is a pretty slick looking bike. Especially with the carbon fiber skid plate. I'd never rock one (the CF skiplate) because I'm sure I would destroy it. I'm wondering about the subframe and what the maintenance intervals are.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #45
xathor OP
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
No you don't

HF
When I was 127lbs in college I could kick start a XR600R... I also had no problem kicking an older DR650.
With a bike that is kick/electric it is easy to use your foot to suppliment a weak battery. Having had my battery die on the WR250R (because of my negligence and leaving the heated grip on) has worried me about possibly making the same mistake out on a distant ride. When I get home I am going to pull the tank off and install proper fuses and relays as well as a LED indicator for the future owner... if I ever sell it.

Like I said previously... I'm 27, no kids, not married, no girlfriend. I'm an engineer for a defense contractor and I get paid to travel... paid a lot. 6 figures. You're right about the eye candy.

I suppose I could always have the suspension worked on the WR250R... add a Lynx fairing, do the 290cc kit, full exhaust and steering stabilizer... oh and gas tank. If I go up on the rear it might make cruising on the interstate in 6th easier. Or I could just sell it and get a KTM 690.

Personally I would rather start with a better base for my needs. I'm pretty indecisive at the moment on what I want to do... I have a lot of time to think about different scenarios. This whole thing stems from my TAT trip I am planning. I'd take my 800xc but I am afraid that I will have too difficult of a time in some of the sections to enjoy the trip. I'd take the WR250R but I think I would dread riding all the way back across the country. I don't want to ship the bike, that's not really an option.

I made this thread in the intent of finding something that is not only TAT worthy but comfortable to cross country superslab. You throw enough money at something... anything is possible right?

It appears that the KTM 690 is everything the WR250R wants to be. If it's as nice on the road as people say it is, then its a 800xc replacement for me. If it's as good off road as the WR250R then its a WR250R replacement for me. Win win right?

The Beta 520RS and the KTM 500EXC look like excellent fun bikes... but they wont do the long distance I am really wanting to end up doing eventually.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sick :(
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote