Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
biker2hiker OP
4dirt

Oddometer: 100
Anyone riding To BMW MOA Rally from NY ?

I'm planning to leave upstate NY around 7/8/13 for Salem Or. and slabbing to the midwest before finding more interesting back roads/dirt. Hope to arrive in Salem on the 15th and spend the week there riding locally. I'm looking for a riding buddy or buddies that are comfortable riding off road and want to take the 'scenic' route. I'm willing to meet anywhere that makes sense along the way between NY & Oregon. I ride a 2012 BMW R1200GSA, plan to tent most nights, but eat local unchained when possible. I have a Spot Connect but I would be more comfortable riding with a companion in case of an emergency. The ride home is wide open but I would hope to explore routes different than the westbound routes. Any takers ?
biker2hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,469
I am not 100% sure if I can pull it, but I hope it will happen. I'll be riding from Baltimore. If everything will align, I'll start on 7/4 to take advantage of the long weekend.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
biker2hiker OP
4dirt

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I am not 100% sure if I can pull it, but I hope it will happen. I'll be riding from Baltimore. If everything will align, I'll start on 7/4 to take advantage of the long weekend.
Sounds like you'll be a few days ahead of me. That's my anniversary so I can't leave earlier, plus traffic on 4th of July weekend will be heavy. Good luck, keep me updated as time gets closer , perhaps we could meet up farther west.
biker2hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,469
My trip will mostly depend on my work schedule, which will be more certain by May. I attempted a cross country ride 2 years ago, just to turn back after one day because of the work emergency. I still have the planned routes, and my friends confirmed that the planning was good. The routes are pavement only because they rode street bikes. Without them I plan to include some dirt, but nothing too crazy: I don't want to spoil a remarkable vacation with a snapped off fragile Vario case or worse. The route is just like yours- ride fast through the "flyover country", then explore the interesting roads, return home fast, but by different route.

I plan to modify the 2 year old route to include the rally, some dirt roads and Banf N.P. in Canada.
2011 D01-03 1578m 27:25
2011 D04-06 876m 22:10
2011 D07-12 1470m 31:45
2011 D13-19 1817m 37h
2011 D20-23 1543m 30h40m

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
HazMan
Gettn' Dirtier by the Day

Oddometer: 16
I did this ride last year - I agree with slabbing it through the Midwest but make absolutely sure to cross Washington State on Route 20. It is an absolutely amazing ride. Twisties, scenery and impeccable road. No wonder its often listed as the best MC road in WA. I ran into some rock slide debris near Mt. St. Helens and ended up with broken bones in the middle of nowhere without cell service. You are obviously smarter than I.
HazMan is offline   Reply With Quote