User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
F800GS: Hyperpro vs Progressive Fork Springs

I am 200lbs and feel the need to improve the forks. I am having a hard time figuring if I should go with the Hyperpro or the Progressive. I plan on changing the springs and oil to 10wt. Also Hyperpro comes in a kit with the fork / rear shock springs. Has anyone used these and is there a preference of brand?
thanks
-Jason
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
I'm interested as well....
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I was thinking about wilbers, for the front and rear. They don't make a rear spring by the looks of it but they do a complete rear shock and offer custom front springs. they are about $250AU for the progressive springs from Wulderlich, she shock is pricey though.
RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
OldCrock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Hpyerpro front springs

Hi Guys,
I have Hyperpro fork springs and am still waiting on delivery of the rear spring. I didn't change oil, just the spring.
The Hyperpro is a progressive spring.

Personal comments.
The front forks are in my opinion are now much better than stock (we have 2 x GS800's, so I can compare directly).
The initial fork movement is less harsh than stock and for me at 220lb with riding gear on, the front doesn't seem to botom out as hard as stock.
It will still bottom though.
After reading comments from itsatdm, I am eagerly awaing the rear spring to arrive as apparently that improves things a lot more.

I believe there is different rear springs for differing weight, so check it out before you buy.

Cheers
Crock
OldCrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
I like the Hyperpro's over the Progressive because each coil is wound incrementally closer to the next. The Progressive looks to me like a 2 weight coil. Some coils are closely wound then jump up the rest of the coils that are spaced further apart.
Just got back from some mountain/desert riding and can verify that the rear shock with the Hyperpro spring worked great for my 205# plus another 15 in a pack. The front was adequate, but did not feel very planted in some of the sandy flat and uphill turns. This was my fault in adjusting ride heigth too high in front, with my spacers.
If I was to do this all over, I would still go with the Hyperpro's front and rear, use the stock spacer and the supplied 10# oil, with the stock airgap.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,771
Good luck with Hyperpro... heres my experience with them
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...95&postcount=9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle
Hyperpro USA / Annitori Distributing ... They can munch on a big bowl of frosted dick...
I ordered a shock and springs in July... and after months of getting the runaround, no return calls, and lots of BS... I got my money back in November. I took my money to a local suspension guy and had two Penske 8993's and two sets of fork springs in hand ( One for the Strom and one for my fiancee's HawkGT ) in two weeks.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....

Wheedle screwed with this post 06-09-2009 at 10:44 PM
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,094
I tried an Ohlins shod f800gs, springs and shock, and I liked it. I'm over 220 and spent about an hour on the bike riding a familiar rough road and afterwards I felt good about adding the springs to mine. They're on order ... Once installed I'll see if the Ohlins shock will be needed. The difference was easy to feel. Less shock and dive in the front and the rear did everything a suspension is supposed to do. Nice plush ride and very good contact with the road. Damn, I'm talking myself into that shock....
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Any lightweights out there who've tried different fork springs, or is it all porkers? I'm maybe 160 all geared up and would like to lessen the sharpness of the front forks over small bumps and improve the overall ride.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Huesero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm about 150 lbs with gear, and did get different springs, along with different cartridges. The stock springs test to about 0.50 kg/mm, and Traxxion moved me to 0.85 kg/mm, which I think is perfect. I bet you'd be happy with those or with a 0.90 kg/mm.
Huesero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huesero
I'm about 150 lbs with gear, and did get different springs, along with different cartridges. The stock springs test to about 0.50 kg/mm, and Traxxion moved me to 0.85 kg/mm, which I think is perfect. I bet you'd be happy with those or with a 0.90 kg/mm.
I thought the front forks were a sealed cartridge unit so you couldn't re-valve or replace them????

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
I thought the front forks were a sealed cartridge unit so you couldn't re-valve or replace them????
They are a sealed cartridge unit. Meaning you can't replace or adjust the cartridge internals. They also don't have any external adjustability. But you can however replace they entire cartridge unit itself, as DockingPilot is doing.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,872
Yup, hoping they are in any day now. I also have a Hyper Pro shock coming. Klause at Wilburs USA is intalling everything. Ill keep ya posted. For me, the forks absorb virtually no initial hit and throw the bike off track, not to mention jarring my teeth loose.
Im hoping to have the whole shabang installed before the Durty Dabbers dual sport on May 30-31. A real test.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
RideThereNow
Fortunate One

Oddometer: 87
Hyperpro front springs

I had the Hyperpro front springs/oil installed on a BMW X about a month ago and am completely satisfied with the result. I weigh almost as much as the bike so hard stops on asphalt had the front end fully compressed with the stock units. The difference isn't dramatic, but is a noticable improvement.

I'm ordering the Hyperpro 461 replacement for the BMW air shock and will report on that later. The air shock works, but has too many quirks, it heats up with use dramatically changing the ride height and action, needs to be aired up (only the dinky hand pump and hose fits) periodically to around 125 psi which is a real pisser to do. And if it ever developed a leak while you're in the back country you are completely out of action as the rear end will be sitting on the back wheel.
RideThereNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
The Griz
North Forest Rider

BTW, I contacted Progressive Suspension and they told me they have nothing for the F800GS.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
got the hyperpro springs yesterday....going for test drive this morning....will see....
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote