Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #106
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,844
"I have heard it described as a smaller, lighter Heritage Softail" Hmm.

The Yamaha V-Star 950 is a better bike. It has cast wheels and tubeless tires. Plug and go. If you have a flat on the Vulcan you will have to call for road service. If your cell phone works. Could also cost you a fortune depending on your plan and where you are.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #107
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
yesterday we did a nice ride up to Palomar Mountain and all in all 380 miles, we were a total of 9 motorcycles 7 cruisers, 1 cbr 600rr and my klr.

i was leading the group and when the road turn extremely twisty only 2 other follow my super fast KLR, as you might expect the CBR and a Vstar 650, my friend Ruben with HIS wife never fell behind and I am sure he could have pass me in several turns if he had wanted... I have new respect for his bike, for him and his wife! I can see myself riding that bike!

Damasovi
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #108
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Stay away from Shaft drive. It is a horrible way to transfer power to the rear wheel.
I have a Suzuki Boulevard S50 and the shaft drive is 2nd on my list of dislikes. I still like the bike and it makes a good commuter and its the only bike the wife likes for 2-up, but the shaft-jacking can get old. Number one dislike is the gigantic engine cradle under the engine that likes to lever the back wheel off the ground when going around fairly mild corners. Lots of pucker moments, but haven't dumped it yet.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #109
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I love shaft drive, and have never experienced this "jacking" issue everybody complains about. I understand what supposedly causes it, and could see it being an issue on a high powered sport bike, but they all use chains. BMWs Paralever system was supposed to eliminate it. But I never noticed it on my Vulcan 750, Goldwing 1200, Goldwing 1500, and going back a ways, my '81 Silverwing 500 or my '87 Magna 700.

On some bikes shaft drive is nearly maintenance free. But not on the Goldwings and Vulcan. The rear end has to be disassembled every so often and the shaft splines lubricated with a moly paste. It's a real PITA. It's a really big job on the Goldwing, because the saddlebags and all the supporting framework have to come off. But on the other hand, you don't have to constantly deal with a chain. For me the biggest advantage to shaft drive is that it positively locates the rear axle in the swingarm, eliminating the need for elongated holes, and the possibility of the wheel becoming misaligned in the swing arm.

I am familiar with the footpeg support on the Intruder if that is what you are talking about. The big chrome piece that wraps under the frame that the pegs are attached to. I'm pretty sure it was put there for looks, but it is certainly substantial enough to lift the bike off the ground if it drags. Cruisers are not known for their cornering ability.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #110
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
well, the other weekend a friend asked to borrow my klr for a test, and he has a yamaha vstar 650, one like the one in the pic bellow.

I like it, at first I was like "does it have a flat? or two?" it was so short! Remember I was getting of the 35 in. seat of the KLR to this what? 27? Then I was amaze at how my 5"3?-5 friend was climbing on my bike!

Of course this being my first ride on a cruiser in over a year and only the second time ever, I was wondering where everything was, things like that. Up to 60 mph it was fine then I wanted to go 70 but the thing started vibrating a lot! not on my arms or hands, but on the top part of my butt, you see the seat (not the standard) has a small lower back support, but it was transmitting all the bad vibes.. so I just maintain 60-65 and all was good.

It did feel with power, not too much to scare me, not too little, along the lines of the KLR but with no Beatles sound.

Damasovi
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #111
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
yep, your highway experience describes just about every 900cc or smaller cruiser. They are great around town, for shorter rides, and can do highway, but not for long, and not very comfortably. For that reason, I think you should be looking at bikes of 1100cc and above if you go on long rides. Just my humble opinion
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #112
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
yep, your highway experience describes just about every 900cc or smaller cruiser. They are great around town, for shorter rides, and can do highway, but not for long, and not very comfortably. For that reason, I think you should be looking at bikes of 1100cc and above if you go on long rides. Just my humble opinion
I put over 20,000 highway miles on a Honda 250 Rebel. It was uncomfortable because it was too small for me, but it had no problem doing highway speeds for hours at the time. Today's cruiser engines are poorly designed. The early Honda Shadow 750, Vulcan 750, Yamaha Virago 750, and Suzuki Intruder 750 had no problems cruising at well over today's highway speeds for as long as the rider could hold out. I find it amazing that a 900cc engine is not capable of highway travel. There is nothing small about 900cc. The first Japanese 900cc bike was the KZ900, and it was a rocketship. The first Japanese cruiser was the KZ900 LTD,, and it blew Kawasaki's "muscle cruiser" the Mean Streak into the weeds. And with 600cc less. Suzuki's late S50 800cc would blow away pretty much any current v-twin, no matter what size it was. V-twin cruisers don't have to be slow, the manufacturers choose to make them that way.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #113
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Try out some models and see what you like.

I did 4300 miles in 9 days (Tucson to Calgary, Vancouver and back) on my Vulcan 1500, shaft drive, FI, and liquid cooled. No problems.

Had to keep changing positions but I think I would do that on any bike.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #114
buck80mph
"Power Junkie"

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Riding with cruisers.. I want one!!

HI, well it has been 2 weekends straight, and 3 in this year that I have been riding with fellow cruiser guys, I ride a KLR 650 and love it, as always I am looking and comparing their bikes and mine.

At the beginning (2002) I wanted a cruiser but at the end of the cost-benefit analysis I did for my bigger bike (I started on a 125 cc ) so my criteria was simple (or so I tough) 60-70 mph all day capable, big tank (dreaming of +200 miles per tank) some dirt capable and 2 up friendly, and yes not over $6,000, and new. So all cruisers were gone from the analysis except the vstar 650 that seen to fit me very well then I was told this cruiser was not for 2 up nor dirt.

Now that I have been next to some cruisers I saw 2 v-star 650’s 2 up and they were not slow, nor did they had panic braking, and most important is I no longer need the cruiser to do 200+ miles on a tank. So that got me thinking… I am looking to add bike #3 (KLR + scooter at the moment) so I am missing a better 2 up bike and I do like all the chrome that comes with a cruiser. At first my ideal bike would be a DL650, this bike is what I call the offspring of a klr+cruiser.

All that to ask you your input first on the small vstar, the 650, I saw my friends do very well on them but overall impressions that you may have, how is maintenance? Brakes? on so on.

How about other options? V-star 950? The 750 hondas? suzuki’s c50 and yamahas Vulcan 900. As you can see they are all “middle weight” for cruisers since I do not think I need more and the price range is about the same.

I want new because I will drive it to the ground and I don’t buy bikes for 1-2 seasons, more for until my economics set us apart.

The only down side that I see on cruisers is their low clearance and here it’s tope land (speed bumps). Here is where I do notice the lack of clearance and it worries me, but I have only driven once a cruiser and except for the loud pipes it was nice. Also the other bad part of cruisers that I no longer care (as much) are the small range (still needs to be over 140 miles), so any info that you may have is welcome.

Thanks
Damasovi
I know the feeling!
buck80mph is offline   Reply With Quote