ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho klr View Post
I see the Madison BMW Club Rally is being held in Soldiers Grove the same weekend so we may run into some of the more adventurous attendees of that rally while we are on the road. I have heard that they aren't normally dangerous, but that they can be easily provoked. Anyone who has met Rapid Roy can attest to that.
I'm pre-registered for the Madison Rally and last year camped next to Roy and clan... It'd be great to run with you guys for a while that weekend. The nice thing is this narrows down my bike choices for the weekend.. KLR or GS???

Last year I went gravel riding while gathering GLMC grand tour towns..

Nobody says you HAVE to ride a BMW to a BMW rally..

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #32
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Well I think I have the route put together. Some old roads some new ones it should be a good mix of gravel, paved and a few level - B's. We will be crossing the ferry in Cassville. (http://www.cassville.org/ferry.html) I am working on some extras that will explain more about if / as I get them worked out. Just suffice to say they will be interesting. As soon as I get it figured out how to up load the route I will. If anyone wants the route before I get it up loaded just PM me and I can send it to you.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #33
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
I'm pre-registered for the Madison Rally and last year camped next to Roy and clan... It'd be great to run with you guys for a while that weekend. The nice thing is this narrows down my bike choices for the weekend.. KLR or GS???

Last year I went gravel riding while gathering GLMC grand tour towns..

Nobody says you HAVE to ride a BMW to a BMW rally..
The GRGR is crossing the Mississippi at Lansing heading in the general direction of Gays Mills as we head back South so we won't be too far from the Rally and would welcome you and any other that wanted to join in the ride.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
psycho klr OP
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig6785 View Post
The GRGR is crossing the Mississippi at Lansing heading in the general direction of Gays Mills as we head back South so we won't be too far from the Rally and would welcome you and any other that wanted to join in the ride.
This +1.
psycho klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
Collarbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Like to make this one again had a great time on a couple of them. Have to see what work throws at me though , never know about Saturday Ot. until friday afternoon half the time.
Collarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #36
psycho klr OP
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collarbone View Post
Like to make this one again had a great time on a couple of them. Have to see what work throws at me though , never know about Saturday Ot. until friday afternoon half the time.
Hope you can make it Roger.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #37
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
I really am going to try and join up with you guys - at least for some of it. It'll take some fancy scheduling, but I think I can do it. My wife and I are both from Platteville WI, but currently live in the middle of IA. But, if I can convince my wife that she needs to visit her parents that weekend - Gramma and Grandpa can help her with the kids, and I can go out and play.

I'm going to PM Craig for the route, but if you guys are starting in Watertown, and crossing at Casseville, I'm guessing you'll be coming pretty close to Platteville. It'd be tough for me to drive to Platteville after work, drop the family off, and then drive the KTM 2 hrs north. But, if I can spend Fri night in Platteville and find good place to meet up with you guys, I might be able to make it work.

Really it depends on the route.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #38
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Glad to see this is living on! I really wanted to make it happen last year but the season just kind of slipped away. I think its a great idea that we get different people to organize it every few years, keeps it interesting!

Mike certainly was the pioneer of this route, he got us all together for that ride back in 2005, and that is how a lot of us met. Also, due to his ride, that encouraged me to get out and map out gravel up in my neck of the woods and put on a ride. Once I combined that ride, and Mike's route, we ended up with the GRGR route. Craig has probably had more involvement in this route over the years than anybody, he has really helped come up with some interesting routes!

I was going to go to the Madison BMW Rally, but this will be more fun.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #39
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Mike's 2005 ride was a great route! This was my first introduction to Iowas fun Level B roads

A few months later, I put on a little gravel ride too, Craig was the only one that ended up camping at the meeting spot I think Oops.

2006 Was the first year the Wisconsin and Iowa routes were combined and called the GRGR. We had a pretty good turnout for this ride and it was a lot of fun, even though the rangers at the Yellow River SF in Iowa where we camped were kind of dinks. Big Dog and Critic rode up from Illinois and we had a 280+ mile route. Lots of fun!

2007 was another big year, we had riders from all over the place show up! We were based out of Soldiers Grove Wisconsin, same spot that the Madison BMW club has their rally. Its a great spot to stay as long as it doesn't rain, but what are the chances of that!

Late in 2007, Craig hosted a gravel ride based around Jackson County Iowa. Once again he sniffed out some great roads and put together a great route that would be added to the GRGR in 08.

It was cold so I decided to just bring my chase vehicle

Craig can't afford front tires, so he tries to avoid using them.

Not much dust this time of year!

2008 was probably the biggest year as far as mileage goes, and it was a 3 day route where we stayed at different spots every night. I mapped part of the route, and Craig did the southern section. This year was a rainy one, and floods had caused a lot of damage this year and we got plenty of rain during the ride.

2009 - Craig put on a ride towards the end of the season, and some of the level B roads were slightly sloppy!

One guy missed a corner, went over a fence and garbage and I think landed on a mattress! Not sure what the chances of that are, but I bet its pretty slim.

Craig is afraid to get his front tire wet for some reason.

I didn't ride this year, I just followed in my chase vehicle.

Looks like 2009 was the last "big" year for the GRGR. I'd like to see it take off again since its fun riding, but hanging out with all of you goof balls is by far the best part!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #40
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post

2009 - Craig put on a ride towards the end of the season, and some of the level B roads were slightly sloppy!

One guy missed a corner, went over a fence and garbage and I think landed on a mattress! Not sure what the chances of that are, but I bet its pretty slim.

Looks like 2009 was the last "big" year for the GRGR. I'd like to see it take off again since its fun riding, but hanging out with all of you goof balls is by far the best part!
That was me that used the mattress to cushion my fall!
Here's a pic of the group that year
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #41
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
You certainly got lucky that day!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #42
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Those are some great pictures posted by all. They sure do bring back some great memories. I can only hope this ride turns out as good as all of those did rain,dust,crashes and all.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
psycho klr OP
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Quote:
Hey! That's me!

You gonna make this one VFR?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #44
psycho klr OP
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Glad to see this is living on! I really wanted to make it happen last year but the season just kind of slipped away. I think its a great idea that we get different people to organize it every few years, keeps it interesting!

Mike certainly was the pioneer of this route, he got us all together for that ride back in 2005, and that is how a lot of us met. Also, due to his ride, that encouraged me to get out and map out gravel up in my neck of the woods and put on a ride. Once I combined that ride, and Mike's route, we ended up with the GRGR route. Craig has probably had more involvement in this route over the years than anybody, he has really helped come up with some interesting routes!

I was going to go to the Madison BMW Rally, but this will be more fun.
Awesome! Glad you are going to make it Chad. Craig seems to have another killer route laid out.

Thanks for the history lesson for us noobs.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #45
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Wish I could have seen the show.
You coming up for this one? I'm not sure if the mattress is still there but you could check for us. I would suggest stopping and walking down this time.