ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #511
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer
 
gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: ((kg*m)/s^2), IA, USA
Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho klr View Post
If your uncle is the same guy that 2whlrcr has the pic of, I think it is the same guy. He was good. They all were...very good. The young kid with no helmet or other gear in Biosci's pics was ridiculous. He balanced one of the other guys bikes, stopped, not moving, for about 1 minute, while going from standing to sitting, to standing again while waiting for a guy to finish a stage.
The guy in 2whlrcr's pic is definitely my uncle - and judging by the bike, boots, and helmet, he's the same guy from Biosci's pic as well. I've got videos of him off roading a 305 scramler in the 60's with my dad and other uncles, but he didn't start doing trials til the late 90's. It's good to see him on a proper bike. I know his first trials bike was an XR250 with rear sprocket nearly the size of the rear wheel.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #512
rokklym
one man wolfpack
 
rokklym's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Westby Wisconsin
Oddometer: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
The guy in 2whlrcr's pic is definitely my uncle - and judging by the bike, boots, and helmet, he's the same guy from Biosci's pic as well. I've got videos of him off roading a 305 scramler in the 60's with my dad and other uncles, but he didn't start doing trials til the late 90's. It's good to see him on a proper bike. I know his first trials bike was an XR250 with rear sprocket nearly the size of the rear wheel.
Is he the guy that hauled the trials bike around behind a Honda PC800?
__________________
Check out the Blog!
MotoGraphic
MotoGraphic Tumblr
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #513
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer
 
gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: ((kg*m)/s^2), IA, USA
Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Is he the guy that hauled the trials bike around behind a Honda PC800?
Yup, that's the guy. I was really surprised when he bought the Pacific Coast. He's owned a 305 Dream since it was brand new and I want to say his pushing a 1/4 million miles on it. I guess the 305 didn't quite have the guts to pull another bike, though.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #514
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer
 
ysr612's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Beaumont, texas
Oddometer: 9,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Yup, that's the guy. I was really surprised when he bought the Pacific Coast. He's owned a 305 Dream since it was brand new and I want to say his pushing a 1/4 million miles on it. I guess the 305 didn't quite have the guts to pull another bike, though.
I met him riding the dream last year when he had some place between 200-230k on it. I had thought I had put many miles on that basic engine as I had a Super Hawk the had between 97-99k miles on it. At the trials we discussed our maintenance on the bikes I told him I had put rings in it every 30k and he asked if I had changed the gaskets I truly can not remember but I believe if they came off whole I put them back on. He told me he would do a rebuild at about every 30 as well but I am sure his was a much better job then mine was.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #515
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,435
Homer is infamous around here. Is your dad the brother who builds hovercraft? Or is he the brother who built the airplane? Or one of the other brothers?
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #516
regg
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPowered View Post
Thanks Rob and Craig for planning this ride. I had a great time. That area would be even more awesome the second weekend in October. Count me in for a fall ride next time, and will be looking for the Jackson county ride planning.
I had to bail out on Saturday night to catch my sons' tournament games on Sunday, which put me over 300 miles for the day. Mapped gravels all the way home and found this:


Looks like the view from the bridge in Mederville?
regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #517
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer
 
gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: ((kg*m)/s^2), IA, USA
Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Homer is infamous around here. Is your dad the brother who builds hovercraft? Or is he the brother who built the airplane? Or one of the other brothers?
It seems several of those brothers are infamous! My dad is the one who builds airplanes - he's on his second now .My uncle Vernon lives 20' from where I grew up. He and his twin brother Verdon are the ones who built hovercrafts. I could derail this thread further - I've got several videos on youtube of their hovercrafts, and flying machines.

If anyone is interested, I can post them up over in the "Iowa Roll Call" thread. I think I've taken this one far enough off the tracks!
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #518
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
It seems several of those brothers are infamous! My dad is the one who builds airplanes - he's on his second now .My uncle Vernon lives 20' from where I grew up. He and his twin brother Verdon are the ones who built hovercrafts. I could derail this thread further - I've got several videos on youtube of their hovercrafts, and flying machines.

If anyone is interested, I can post them up over in the "Iowa Roll Call" thread. I think I've taken this one far enough off the tracks!
I know Joe.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #519
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer
 
gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: ((kg*m)/s^2), IA, USA
Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I know Joe.
Huh. I wonder if I know you! You have a PM.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #520
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UnderPowered's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: CRish, IA
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by regg View Post
Looks like the view from the bridge in Mederville?
Yes sir!
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #521
Mr. Salty
Pretty quiet. Mostly.
 
Mr. Salty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Dav.Iowa- Wishing I were up in da North Woods...
Oddometer: 97
Eek Training Video




Maybe some of you have seen this video- This proves that we should have been able to do what these guys were doing! Check out this training video. Especially the stacked trees...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_wyAUcyPqKE#!
__________________
-Salty >><>
Tacit?! I thought it said "Take-It"!
Mr. Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #522
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post



Maybe some of you have seen this video- This proves that we should have been able to do what these guys were doing! Check out this training video. Especially the stacked trees...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_wyAUcyPqKE#!

Piece of cake.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #523
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Piece of cake.
To quote Top Gun, "Son, your ego is writing checks that your body can't cash!"

I couldn't afford the medical expenses.
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann
"Loud tires save lives." -- Unknown
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #524
Backwaterdogs
Adventurer
 
Backwaterdogs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 39
Thanks posting all the pictures!

And a big thanks to Rob and Craig for organizing this, had a great time! Look forward to the jackson county ride, too!
Backwaterdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #525
shortbritches
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: FT.MADISON IOWA
Oddometer: 99
A few more pics.

The morning campground

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Orangecicle do a little pre-ride fishing.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Time to take a ride.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks to all that made the ride possible!
__________________
"I will not follow where the path may lead, but I will go where there is no path, and I will leave a trail". Muriel Strode,1903
2012 KTM 350 EXCF - 2008 WR250R
Kelley Joe
shortbritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014