User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,670
Tennis elbow and bike riding

Does anyone have this complaint or recovered from it, if the latter, how long, what treatment. I had a sharp pain in my right elbow whilst dirt biking in November, seemed to go away but has now flared up at work and riding bike, Sharp pain and reduced grip strength, any suggestions, and no it's not wankers elbow
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
mickp
n00b

Oddometer: 7
A friend of mine had a quarterzone injection in his elbow to allow him to keep riding. He reckons it worked great and rides virtually every weekend

Mick
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,135
My doctor is a bike rider (BMW) and diagnosed me with tennis elbow. Told me to rub Emu Oil into it for two days. I giggled to myself but it worked! That was 4 yrs ago and nothing since.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
ckjackson1
High Country Red Neck

Oddometer: 144
Throttle arm or Clutch arm??

I play a bit of Golf (Handicap of 3) and I have Golf Elbow - which is basically the same as Tennis Elbow but the inside of the arm....... If that makes sense.

Basically as far as treatment goes, in my humble but experienced opinion, surgery is not the answer - it is the muscle that upsets the tendon which in turn give you the Tennis elbow or similar. Deep tissue massage by a person who knows what they are doing o. The muscle and then the tendon is the way to go - tennis elbow braces are not only uncomfortable to wear but are also a wank. After treatment smother in Voltaren and use Elmore Oil nightly prior to bed (careful, can burn the old fella......)

Now about the bike........ Throttle rocker has improved my endurance 10 fold, regular stretching of fingers / thumb and wrist during riding. And if it is that serious, chuck in a Rekluse clutch and piss the left hand issue off altogether ( if you have a bike that they make them for)

I am not a doctor so this is just my first hand experience, it must work as it has not affected my golf game and I can ride the bike without an issue, it's all about regular and correct maintenance.............. And when you tap the wife on the shoulder and she says no, do it yourself - simply remind her of your medical condition and carry on soldier!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,670
Thanks for the replies, it's the right elbow and I don't know if my golf game is shot because I don't get much time to play ,but I'm trying Physio atm and will resort to injections if no luck, although not much luck with quarterzone for previous probs. Anti-inflammatory cream Diclofenac not much help i think time will tell and perhaps help.At least i can use it as an excuse to not do jobs around house
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
trgbox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I had it in right elbow, tried everything nover 8 months until surgery.....6 weeks post op and back at work @ 80% 12 weeks later 100% and wore brace for heavy work or riding for six months. Have surgeons details if required, he's in Sunnybank Briso.
Now left one playing up recently....seen Phyiso and wear tennis elbow support. Getting better. With the brace, don't have it too tight, just slightly tighten enough that you don't feel the pain in sore area ......and loosen it but don't take it off when ever you get the chance. Tiger balm red dot on the sore area to warm it up prior to use and do the exercises the physio gives you. Good luck...a prick of an injury!

trgbox screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 03:51 AM Reason: typo
trgbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
duckslider
unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer: 2,722
have tennis elbow (epicondylitis)in left arm for about 4 years.had the quartersone injections.worked for a while.tried different ointment rubs from chemist.they never worked.
Doc reckons tendon is tearing away from bone.need operation.
probably will have in the future.have had physio and wear elbow strap most days.this does stop the pain.does ache occasionally when riding,even with elbow strap.I enjoy riding,so I just put up with it.
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.

duckslider screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 04:20 AM
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
wyno
guzzi 750

Oddometer: 94
I used to get tennis elbow when I played tennis. I found out that I was using a grip that was too small for my hand. I went up one grip size and the pain went away. I found out if the grip is too small, you hold on tighter because you think the thing you're gripping is going to slide out of your hand. With a bigger grip you don't need to hold on as tightly and yuor muscles near your elbow are more relaxed and you don't get tennis elbow. So all you might need is an over grip.
wyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Mine constantly flares up in my left elbow after long rides with lots of clutch work , doc said stop riding , so far I just put up with it.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Does anyone have this complaint or recovered from it, if the latter, how long, what treatment. I had a sharp pain in my right elbow whilst dirt biking in November, seemed to go away but has now flared up at work and riding bike, Sharp pain and reduced grip strength, any suggestions, and no it's not wankers elbow
My kid had tennis elbow so bad she couldn't hold a pencil at school. Over six months of active rest and treatment, with emphasis on treatment, and she was good to go. Years later, and fingers crossed, no recurrence. Cortisone is helpful for knocking down the inflammation (i understand its success varies by individual), but the key is consistent physical therapy exercises, which include stretching the area, and the strengthening exercises are as simple as flexing a rubber band to using bands of greater resistance in various exercises. Her Doctor, Dr. Nirschl, is a pioneer surgeon in the TE field, and really does everything he can to avoid surgery. His view was to strengthen the core, the shoulder, in general, the body, and the elbows, to avoid a recurrence of whatever prompted the TE to flare up. Good luck.

Here is a link from his site:
http://urlorthoinfo--aaos--org.reach...m?topic=A00068
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Probably very different but I found I had to make sure my elbows were bent on the bike and when lifting loads etc to avoid getting tennis elbow a while ago, havent had a problem since.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Eric66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I had it real bad after hitting my elbow in a work accident, could not even hold up a cup,tried all the usual stuff and nothing worked until I got some acupuncture! Gone after 2 days and I had been in pain for 18months previous This was over 20yrs ago and not many people were using acupuncture (my 1st time), worth looking into as it is noninvasive and is an amazing feeling when they put pins all over ya body and just by twirling one say on ya head you can feel the response in ya foot
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
dewe74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I have also been diagnosed with Tennis elbow in my right arm recently. Similiar to you i am getting physio and wearing a support. I have a big ride coming up in May which is a worry if i don't get it sorted before then. I might have to try the emu oil or elmore oil for a bit.
dewe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 723
+ 1 on the acupuncture treatment - provided you see someone who really knows their stuff. Essentially it speeds up the natural healing processes and removes blockages to repair AFAIK. I have used it for knee, back and shoulder/elbow issues with great success. I see Shaun Price in Bris. He is a highly trained acupuncturist and an extreme sports person and understands offroad riding.

Shaun Price
2/711 Stafford Rd, Everton Park QLD 4053
(07) 3855 4188 ‎
Category: Acupuncture Clinic
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,220
After a particularly tough day on my trials bike, coupled with working with a computer mouse every day, I got this in my right elbow real bad, couldn't pick up a tissue even.

Acupuncture did it for me, the wanky braces simply didn't work. The releif from acupuncture was fairly swift as well. The bloke who did mine was a workmate, he trained in Sydney and had a degree in chinese medicine. He used the electrical impulses through the acupuncture needles as well, to get some of the other muscles involved, it worked a treat.