Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #61
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,805
IMO, '81-'84 R65's are great bikes. I have never had any trouble getting parts for them? A good friend of mine got tired of me out motoring him on his R50/2 so he got a R75/6. He said he was going to take me. He said that R75/6's made more power than R65's. I said maybe when they were new but yours doesn't. My R65 could walk away from it. Then he got a R90/6. Same story. Then he got dual plugged, pistons, a 336, and Dellorto's for the R90 and he could out motor me. What the book says and what they are are often two different things entirely.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #62
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I passed on this R100RS a while back. Was really tempted but the guy wouldn't budge from $1500.00.

The Bad:
the bike had sat dormant outside for a number of years, Paint was shot, seat rotten, Front master cylinder broken, rear master cyl. stuck, all calipers stuck, tires dry rotted, fairing / plastic had scrapes, scratches and UV damage.
gauges were in poor condition and a multitude of other minor issues were evident.
....plus It appeared to have sat out under a tree with birds crapping on it for a few years.

The Good:
It actually ran, though poorly, Had the "pop out" fairing driving lights (with one burnt out).

This was a tempting project but re-fitting properly would have ran into some serious dough.
After some thought, I threw a little lower price at the guy and he about had a fit.

A couple weeks later I saw a pretty decent looking similar speciman, that I could ride accross the country for $3200.00. Glad I passed on this one....maybe $1500.00 was a decent buy, but not for me. .

I spent $1800 on my '83RS. Original owner, extensive service records mostly from the same shop, all the mods: Stainless brake lines, San Jose Upper triple clamp, Telefix fork brace, Brown side stand, Reynolds ride-off center stand (which I later found out was vital), Konis, LED brake light flashers. Brake disks were good and came with spare pads, racks and full luggage (original), 90K with some headwork in there somewhere. Good seat, all lights and gauges worked, started and ran nice. No bunged up screws in evidence. Nothing broken. Tires half gone.

BUT

Lot of scrapes and chips in the paint. He had tried to clean it up for sale and whatever he used stripped half the paint off the engine. This told me it was probably weeping more than a few places and that he was wise to trust his service to a shop. Had a shiny new GS and wanted to sell old faithful. I could run it all I wanted but wouldn't let me ride it. (probably smart because of where he lived but it cost him more than a few hundred). The hurtin' cosmetics meant he really couldn't get much. I think he figured that out. I looked at one other that day, a '77RS that the guy wanted over 6k for and it just wasn't THAT nice. Went back and bought ol'-faithful-but-kinda-ugly.

I had to replace the tires, get the tach repaired at one point but otherwise it ran fine. I did the same thing on it he did...run back and forth between the bay area and LA a lot. Recently blew a brake line. Everything else I've done is cleaning up cosmetics and my own changes, What I'd do with any bike. Time for new valves and some conrod bearings so that's happening. Some special farkels, etc. I'll do paint someday.

Look at that pic closely. looks like a custom seat. nice.

Plaka screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 01:38 PM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #63
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
1973 R60. Looks very original but a bit pricey, no?

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #64
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,897
don't forget to look in Adv classifies .... here's a R100 for $2,500 to give a reference point .. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866850

do a national search on craigslist .. from google: 1973 R75 site:craigslist.org
returns pages of hits ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=1973...w=1280&bih=647
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #65
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
For a running, cosmetically good /5, $3950 is actually quite fair. Looks like he has a toolkit and an original manual as well, which are a few hundred purchased separately. The R60s aren't quite as desirable as the R75s. And the SWB bikes aren't quite as desirable as the LWB bikes. Hard to tell if it's LWB from the photo. '73 was the transition year.

If that white toaster tank doesn't have any dings, is original paint, and the chrome is in good shape, it could sell for $700-$1000+ on its own. I just sold my completely dinged out toaster tank for 300 euros.
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #66
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
For a running, cosmetically good /5, $3950 is actually quite fair. Looks like he has a toolkit and an original manual as well, which are a few hundred purchased separately. The R60s aren't quite as desirable as the R75s. And the SWB bikes aren't quite as desirable as the LWB bikes. Hard to tell if it's LWB from the photo. '73 was the transition year.

If that white toaster tank doesn't have any dings, is original paint, and the chrome is in good shape, it could sell for $700-$1000+ on its own. I just sold my completely dinged out toaster tank for 300 euros.
To be honest, that bike's a little too nice...or at least too original. I'm looking to do a cafe project and I'd feel bad hacking that thing up.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #67
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,965
Eggsackkelly. I think R60/5 is a good choice for you but not that one.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #68
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Eggsackkelly. I think R60/5 is a good choice for you but not that one.
I've owned a number of different older BMW's (R65, R75's , R90's) but have become enamored by the R60/5's. Hope to find a good buy on one someday.
I had one last year but it was too much of a "Heinz 47" and was a conglomeration of different bikes.
Going to keep on the watch for one in the future.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #69
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Married Man View Post
I'm still throwing money into an R100RS I picked up for $1000. It had been stored under a tarp in the guy's backyard for 8 years without running. So far:
-rebuilt the carbs
-opened up and cleaned the transmission and final drive
-replaced the gas tank
-powdercoated frame bits
-new tires
-replaced the charging system.
Still to do:
-paint.
-valve seats

At the end of the day, I'll have spent what a running bike would have cost me and I'll know it inside and out. You're about to spend a whole lot more on a bike worth a whole lot less. Go back and find one good part on that bike. Buy that one part and bring it home. Then start looking for all the parts you'll need to build a running bike to add to it and you won't have to deal with a bunch of junk. I'm thinking $10 for the handlebars and go from there.
These bikes are like another passion of mine, Porsche's.

When I was doing my Porsche, a guy I worked with said he would like to get one and do the same thing. Wanted to know how much he should give for a beater to build up.

My statement: If it's free it would never be a deal, and the guy who gave it to you wasn't doing you a favor.

This bike immediately reminded me of that.

If this bike was free, it may not be worth the effort to haul it away.

I bought a Gold Wing in 4 or 5 boxes once.

Seemed like a deal at the time...
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #70
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
These bikes are like another passion of mine, Porsche's.

When I was doing my Porsche, a guy I worked with said he would like to get one and do the same thing. Wanted to know how much he should give for a beater to build up.

My statement: If it's free it would never be a deal, and the guy who gave it to you wasn't doing you a favor.

This bike immediately reminded me of that.

If this bike was free, it may not be worth the effort to haul it away.

I bought a Gold Wing in 4 or 5 boxes once.

Seemed like a deal at the time...
If you are new to them and looking at working on them as an active hobby, it seems reasonable to me to have some tuition money in there.

You just don't want to pay for stuff that you have to send out and where the only thing you learn is how much that stuff can cost. So you want good splines everywhere, good tranny and rear drive, good exhaust threads on the heads. Prolly some things I'm not thinking of.

Engine, front end, brakes, electrics, etc. are all good DIY material. And when you do them it's all fun and yes, more costly than starting with something that needed no attention in these areas.

Thrice now, first with my First BMW (a 75/5) and later with a K100RS and most recently with my R100RS, I ended up buying two bikes is reasonably close succession. My second /5 was in prefect running order, cost $1500 (looooond time ago). I parted it out to myself over many years, more than getting my money back. if I saved some of the parts I sold off, I would have made a fortune today. The K the bike I got was gorgeous and very dead (fuel left in it for a year). The second ran well but was more ratty. Between the two I got a nice bike and made good money on parts. (both had Staintune exhausts, lotta people were hitting deer and needed bodywork and the stuff I had was cherry). I got to learn the K fairly well. On the RS the second bike was in boxes sans frame. Parted some to myself and sold some. Sold the block for like $100 and I'm still kicking myself. I forgot it only had 40K on it! So it goes.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #71
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I would tackle a project like that, no problem.. just not at that price. I might go as high as $300, though. That's assuming the take is solid, the headlight is complete, the charging system was complete, and the extra engine was actually for a /5.
What he said.

But I'd part it all out and then go buy something nice.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #72
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

$2250 for a non-running 1974 R90.

That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Tipsy

Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #73
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post

That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Tipsy
Pffft..craigslist flakes strike again. Shoot him an email and ask if he can ship to Ghana. Then keep it up covering all the more flavorful parts of the world, but from different email addresses.

I'd go maybe 1200 If it's clean, low miles and fundamentally unmolested.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #74
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post

That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Tipsy
Over priced. About half what he's asking but that would be for a complete good looker. Pictures were no help so I suspect not all that good.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #75
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Over priced. About half what he's asking but that would be for a complete good looker. Pictures were no help so I suspect not all that good.
Goes back to my original proposition that some things are not a deal even if they were free!