Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I had a new Gen 1 Concours many years ago. I hated a few things about it. The riding position was very uncomfortable with your upper body weight on your wrists. The engine had enough vibes to put your hands to sleep in short order. Plus it was a very top heavy beast. I would not recommend one to a new rider. I traded mine after one year of ownership. Some of its shortcomings could have probably been reduced with modifications but this was before the internet was popular so I didn't have access to a lot of information.
It wouldn't be my first choice either, but check his requirements and his budget. It fits.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,880
Is the early Ducati Multistrada 620 available in your budget there? They never sold well here and are relatively cheap as a result.

Otherwise there is always the Triumph Tiger, the early 855 and 955 models. I'd think an old 855 would have plenty of jam for two-up.

The Yamaha XJ6 and XJ9 Diversion were available there for a long time and would be about right - the more adventurey model would be the TDM 850. I'd love an old TDM - they were only sold here for a couple of years.

Just some random thoughts with a nod to Euro availability of ~90s models.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
Halky OP
Σερ

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Is the early Ducati Multistrada 620 available in your budget there? They never sold well here and are relatively cheap as a result.

Otherwise there is always the Triumph Tiger, the early 855 and 955 models. I'd think an old 855 would have plenty of jam for two-up.

The Yamaha XJ6 and XJ9 Diversion were available there for a long time and would be about right - the more adventurey model would be the TDM 850. I'd love an old TDM - they were only sold here for a couple of years.

Just some random thoughts with a nod to Euro availability of ~90s models.
There are a few multistradas but they go over budget as well. Plus, I find them extremely ugly! The same goes for the Tigers. Some are affordable but apart from ugly (imho) they're too tall too. I never looked at the XJ's, might be worth a look... As for the TDMs I can find quite a lot of them but after some research they don't seem really reliable, I've read about numerous problems, weak brakes etc. and I'm reluctant. The 900's seem to get good reviews but they go over budget as well.

A friend of mine suggested the fazer 600 as an alternative but I don't really see it. Is it really a viable alternative? I can find a few of them within my budget (older models). One more I was considering (again) is the aprilia caponord (ETV 1000). Seems like a good choice, despite being a liter bike. Any opinions on that?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halky View Post
As for the TDMs I can find quite a lot of them but after some research they don't seem really reliable, I've read about numerous problems, weak brakes etc. and I'm reluctant.
The more of them around, the more likely there will be internet whining. Beyond that, I don't know any specifics about the TDM.

A friend has a Caponord, they have their own issues - fuel lines that pinch and crack under the tank, electrical gremlins. Plenty of power from that big twin, I don't know that it is a great n00b bike.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #20
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
The more of them around, the more likely there will be internet whining. Beyond that, I don't know any specifics about the TDM.

A friend has a Caponord, they have their own issues - fuel lines that pinch and crack under the tank, electrical gremlins. Plenty of power from that big twin, I don't know that it is a great n00b bike.
Well I'll look a bit more in the TDMs since I always liked them, there are a lot to be had relatively cheap too. I'll probably dismiss the Caponord as well. Seems that a TA might indeed be the best, most affordable choice after all.

Thanks again! :)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Halky OP
Σερ

Well, a little update.

I may be a little crazy, but I got a good deal on an older CBR600F and turns out, I like the look, the ergos fit nicely and it isn't uncomfortable for the lady either. Should I go for it or will it kill me first chance it gets? I couldn't test drive it yet, but considering how quickly the CB500 bored me (and how much the wind bothered me at higher speeds) perhaps it might be an interesting alternative.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Those are really nicely constructed bikes.

Is it the F3, F4, or F4i?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
Those are really nicely constructed bikes.

Is it the F3, F4, or F4i?
It's a '98, so I assume it's an F3. I was looking into some fazers a friend suggested when I found this one, and I must say I'm tempted since it's cheaper than the fazers as well, and, like the fazer, the power surge seems to come on at higher RPM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

It is true, if you stay out of the revs it will be a polite bike.

But it won't be ideal for two-up, compared to a two-cylinder bike. Keep that in mind if you intend to ride with a passenger frequently.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #25
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
It is true, if you stay out of the revs it will be a polite bike.

But it won't be ideal for two-up, compared to a two-cylinder bike. Keep that in mind if you intend to ride with a passenger frequently.
How do you mean? The pillion and the passenger's position is uncomfortable or something engine-wise?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halky View Post
How do you mean? The pillion and the passenger's position is uncomfortable or something engine-wise?
Engine wise, you'll be slipping the clutch at starts and have to keep the revs high to make decent power. It makes for a herky jerky ride around town. I know this, I ride an FZ6.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #27
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
Engine wise, you'll be slipping the clutch at starts and have to keep the revs high to make decent power. It makes for a herky jerky ride around town. I know this, I ride an FZ6.
Well, pretty much every single bike I had had that issue so I guess it's no big deal, I'm pretty used to the whole clutch circus with both cars and bikes, so I guess I'll consider those as well.

Once again, many thanks! :)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
When it comes to engin size, bigger dosent need to be mean more dificult to control.
A CBR600 has a more aggressive riding position then a Varadero 1000 and your easyer provoked to ride harder with the CBR then the Varadero.
I dont mean that you shouldent buy a CBR, becouse the CBR is a bloody good,rock solid and a fun 600cc.
You also have Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat and Kawasaki ZZR600 that are the same type as the CBR.
You could have a look at Honda VFR750/800 and Triumph Sprint ST955i.
Havent tried a TDM but after what i have heard from lots and lots of riders, i think it is the best allrounder for your budget.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
When it comes to engin size, bigger dosent need to be mean more dificult to control.
A CBR600 has a more aggressive riding position then a Varadero 1000 and your easyer provoked to ride harder with the CBR then the Varadero.
I dont mean that you shouldent buy a CBR, becouse the CBR is a bloody good,rock solid and a fun 600cc.
You also have Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat and Kawasaki ZZR600 that are the same type as the CBR.
You could have a look at Honda VFR750/800 and Triumph Sprint ST955i.
Havent tried a TDM but after what i have heard from lots and lots of riders, i think it is the best allrounder for your budget.
Thanks man but I'm not really that interested in sportbikes mainly due to their pillion (or lack thereof in most cases!), it's just that the CBR seemed comfortable enough both for me and the mrs and I got a pretty good deal on it. The thundercat kinda scares me, to be honest and I just plain don't like the ZZR. Plus, the CBR seems a lot more "tame" than the rest R-ending models. VFR's and sprints seem equally scary to me, never was one for extreme speed, I suppose.

Now the TDM seems nice enough, I sat on one and it seems very comfy but I'm getting mixed reviews all over about the 850 and even if I decide to fork over the extra dough for the 900 I got way better choices in that budget. Ah choices...

Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Yamaha YZF600R and CBR600 are about the same in riding styl,engin power and seat. Maybe your thinking of Yamaha R6?
VFR and Sprint are not extream bikes either in theyr power or handlig, thay are sports tourer. They are very smoth and easy to ride and you dont have to be sceard to use the throtlle.
I have owned a Sprint for two years, toured europ with it. Its forgiving and comfortable in a sport touring way.
Bikes like CBR,VFR and Sprint are good allrounders for road use, good at everything but not best at anything. They combine sport and touring but are more focused on the sporty side.

But the CBR is a good bike, if its for you or not, you dont realy know before you have driven it for som time.