ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #16
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob578 View Post
"I hear you can hunt wild hogs all year in some places - not sure of the rules. I know a group of people that hunt them with dogs and they jump on the wild hogs and kill them with knives. I think jumping on a scared or mad wild hog with nothing but a knife would be quite a southern experience."

Not many rules at all, I think in SC you may even be able to blast them at night. Bring your AR for that. The smaller ones make excellent BBQ
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
Department of Wildlife website: www.dnr.sc.gov
Department of Wildlife Phone: 803-734-3886
Quote:
South Carolina Hog Hunting Laws
Feral Hogs - Feral or wild hogs occur in the wild in every county of
the state. They compete directly with native wildlife species, damage
plants, agricultural crops and threaten public and livestock health. Those
dressing feral hogs should wear rubber gloves and eye protection.
It is illegal to remove a hog from the wild alive unless it is taken pursuant
to a permit issued by the SCDNR at a cost of $50 (50-16-25). All hogs
taken pursuant to a permit must be tagged in each ear with tags provided
by the Department and may only be released onto the same tract of land
or into a permitted hog hunting enclosure within the county where the
hogs were captured. Hogs taken under permit within a county cannot be
transported into or through another county.
There is no closed season or weapon restrictions on hogs on private land
during daylight hours. Hogs can be hunted at night with or without the aid of
bait, electronic calls, artificial lights, or night vision devices using a bow and
arrow other than a crossbow, or a pistol of any caliber having iron sights,
a barrel length not exceeding nine inches, and which is not equipped with
a butt-stock, scope, or laser sight (50-11-710). Hogs may not be hunted at
night with a centerfire rifle or shotgun, unless specifically permitted by the
department
. Dogs can be used to hunt and bay hogs at night as long as the
hunter(s) complies with the equipment restrictions above.
From the last day of February to July 1, upon notification to SCDNR
at least 48 hours in advance, hogs may be hunted at night with artificial
lights and night vision devices using any legal firearm, bow, or crossbow.
Notice to SCDNR is required once per season for each property and
the names and hunting license numbers of each person participating in
the hunt must be listed. Hunters using centerfire rifles during this time
must be at an elevated position at least 10 feet from the ground. Persons
convicted of certain road hunting and night hunting violations during
the previous five years are ineligible to hunt hogs at night.The required
notification system will be in place by February 2013 at www.dnr.
sc.gov/nighthunt.
Hogs cannot be hunted at night on WMA lands, but can be hunted during
the day on WMAs where hog hunting is allowed.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #17
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
if you come to Memphis, don't get BBQ unless you go to the BBQ shop in midtown or Interstate BBQ. Whatever you do, avoid Rendezvous downtown.

Instead, get some fried chicken from Gus's downtown or Uncle Lou's Sweet & Spicy Love.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
SUMORYDR
Old school rookie

Oddometer: 15
If I could add something to the already incredible list of places I would agree with Charleston for sure but I would add Asheville, of course but then I'd throw in Bryson City, NC, Franklin, NC, the whole Deals Gap area, and everything West of there. The whole area is incredible!!
SUMORYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Check out the "Crooked Road" music trail for some info on traditional music and local jams along the NC / VA border region. Absolutely authentic. Also check out the Blue Ridge Music Center for schedules, free music every day along the BRP around milepost 205 (?). Frequent bluegrass and fiddling contests in the Floyd/Galax region all summer. Scenic and serene. Hard to believe but the region around Elkin NC produces some fairly decent wine in a low-key atmosphere that is quite enjoyable (corn squeezin's optional). The website "virginiablueridge.org" might warrant a visit. If you have a week to devote to the area I could keep you busy. Good riding area too.

The Greensboro NC newspaper (since you mention my city) as well as the Rhino Times usually have the info on local music happenings. If interested I can send you contact info for local bluegrass gathering spots as well as smaller interesting places to visit or eat. Chain restaurants are predictably similar. Got some seriously rockin' churches in the area.

Charleston SC is an excellent tourist attraction, outstanding area and deservedly popular. Wilmington NC is nice, smaller and less crowded- for a reason. New Bern NC and Beaufort are coastal towns I'm fond of. Asheville and Boone NC are quite popular mountain cities with lots to see.

If you spend every night in cities large enough to have an airport you won't get the feel of the region. remember - those reports of summer humidity are not exaggerated at all, we have bugs too. If you try and cover the entire area you mention you'll see a lot of the interstates. I'd suggest a week along the southern coast (the low country) and a week exploring the mountains.

4PawsHacienda screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 06:54 AM
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMORYDR View Post
If I could add something to the already incredible list of places I would agree with Charleston for sure but I would add Asheville, of course but then I'd throw in Bryson City, NC, Franklin, NC, the whole Deals Gap area, and everything West of there. The whole area is incredible!!
Definitely hit up the Asheville, NC area. I'd recommend spending the time there instead of Knoxville. Knoxville is rather lacking. It is an industrial town. From Asheville to Nashville, consider taking 64/74 to Chattanooga instead of 40 thru Knoxville. There are a bunch of awesome towns all along the way. Plus Chattanooga is pretty sweet. If you spend any time in Chattanooga, I'll be happy to show you around. Great food and lots of history here.

In Nashville, go to Swett's. People will say to go to Loveless Cafe. Don't. Go to Swett's instead. Loveless is where all of the tourists go. Swett's is where the locals go.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
If you spend every night in cities large enough to have an airport you won't get the feel of the region. remember - those reports of summer humidity are not exaggerated at all, we have bugs too. If you try and cover the entire area you mention you'll see a lot of the interstates. I'd suggest a week along the southern coast (the low country) and a week exploring the mountains.
That is kind of what I was thinking too. We may make the north-south legs (coastline and mountains) slow, and the east-west legs fast. I now have about 4 pages (4 states) of notes from this thread. I'm going to have to get the state maps for the area so I can start laying out the route.

I was looking at airfare from California to Raleigh, and found it pretty high ($530 per person). My air miles will cover some of that, but I want to find the cheapest place to fly in. So far, it looks like flying into Orlando, and out of Tampa is the cheapest combo ($390). I'll have to keep looking for deals, because that is a bit too far away. If anyone knows where to find cheap deals, that would be helpful.

I was happy to see they rent Mustangs and Camaros, so I could lay out an extra $100/week to make Deals Gap a bit more fun. I would love to take up patmo on the offer for a loaner/rental bike, too, if it is still available by then.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
No offense intended to all of our friends in the Florida region but I really wouldn't put that state high on my list of places to visit to experience "the south", unless your goal is some hot steamy summer weather.

Flights into Atlanta or TN?
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
No offense intended to all of our friends in the Florida region but I really wouldn't put that state high on my list of places to visit to experience "the south", unless your goal is some hot steamy summer weather.

Flights into Atlanta or TN?
I hadn't planned on visiting Florida on this trip, since I've seen it before. My wife spent about half her childhood there too. Nice beaches and snorkeling in Florida, but I'm in the mood for BBQ and bourbon.

Atlanta has much better prices! I should have thought of that, since it is a major hub.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 132
You can't get a cheap flight into Nashville?

You could loop over to Asheville, down through Cherokee to Atlanta, over to Birmingham and on to Mississippi, up through Memphis and back to Nashville.

Too bad you won't be near Memphis the first week of May. The BBQ World Championships. Never mind what they say about North Carolina BBQ...

BBQ and Blues...don't get better than that:

http://www.memphisinmay.org/

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
If you come thru Columbia Sc area give me a shout and I'll take you to for some really good BBQ.

Beware!!! For some completely unknown reason, the folks in SC think that mustard is an acceptable ingredient in barbecue.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
See Savannah and the Low Country of South Carolina

I highly recommend you stop in and see and "do" Savannah, GA. An evening strolling along the famous River Street and taking in the riverfront, to include a free ferry ride across the river to Hutchinson Island. Then, spend an evening listening to live Irish music at Kevin Berry's on the river. Seeing the sights in the large historic district is fun, City Market area and pizza at Vinni Van Go-Go's.

Take in the beach at Hilton Head, SC and avoid Tybee Island, GA. Tybee is a rip-off and not particularly visitor friendly. South Carolina low country is a wonder of coastal beauty and history. If you ever saw "The Great Santini" or "The Water is Wide," this is the area. Charleston is a unique and wonderful place to visit too.

If you make it to Atlanta..........I may even have tips for that area. Let me know if you need a room.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
If you ever saw "The Great Santini" or "The Water is Wide," this is the area.
I was just searching Netflix for southern stuff. Thanks for the tip.

BBQ: Most of we have here in California is Texas style, usually ribs or brisket. There are some chain restaurants that call their ribs "Carolina Honeys", so I always figured you guys like 'em sweeter, maybe even with brown sugar? Mustard is a new one for me, but I'm all for trying new recipes!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Beware!!! For some completely unknown reason, the folks in SC think that mustard is an acceptable ingredient in barbecue.
Don't paint us all with that mustard-colored brush. We Upstaters do things differently.

HC Herb, if you make it to the Upstate of SC, you could visit Abbeville, the town that I live in. The town bills itself as the birthplace of the Confederacy (the first secession meeting was held here) and the deathbed of the Confederacy (the last meeting of the Confederate cabinet took place in a house here in town).

If y'all come through here while I'm in town, I'll show you around. We also have a guest room. (Your timeframe is when I am typically out west, though. However, I'm not sure when I'll be travelling this summer.)

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
If you want REAL BBQ you are headed to the wrong place. TEXAS is where the best BBQ lives. All other is a cheap imitation.... Real BBQ does not need some crappy sauce to cover up the taste like they do in those other states.

All the above suggestions about towns and stuff is right on but the BBQ list is not for me. Pulled Pork, are you kidding me????? Stick to the Seafood and you will be fine. They do that right.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

I'm beginning to see why the BBQ World Championships are such a big deal. I'm looking forward to deciding which is my favorite.

So far, New Mexico holds the lead. One of my wife's relatives (who is an old rodeo champion) smoked some brisket all day for the family reunion. The smoke ring was about 1/2" thick, and he covered it in sauce.

Tonight my wife is making jerk shrimp over rice. She makes it really hot for me, then washes the sauce off of her serving. She's a keeper!

I'm getting so hungry, I can barely concentrate on work...