ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
TanasiRob
Squid Emeritus

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
Definitely hit up the Asheville, NC area. I'd recommend spending the time there instead of Knoxville. Knoxville is rather lacking. It is an industrial town. From Asheville to Nashville, consider taking 64/74 to Chattanooga instead of 40 thru Knoxville. There are a bunch of awesome towns all along the way. Plus Chattanooga is pretty sweet. If you spend any time in Chattanooga, I'll be happy to show you around. Great food and lots of history here.

In Nashville, go to Swett's. People will say to go to Loveless Cafe. Don't. Go to Swett's instead. Loveless is where all of the tourists go. Swett's is where the locals go.

ding ding ding WINNER!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #32
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Worth a look........

Check out the bluegrass at Floyd Country store and the Blue Ridge Music Center...........bet you cant stand still.......local people having a good time.
As for the food.......look for where the locals eat, they know where the good stuff is.......
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #33
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
Gentlemen please, these folks are interested in more than BBQ, take the infighting elsewhere.
Travel destinations are more than filling one's belly, consider other cultural alternatives. How about your microbreweries for instance, life is better with a beer.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #34
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
Gentlemen please, ...... How about your microbreweries for instance, life is better with a beer.

PLENTY of those throughout the south. We have several of those in the Franklin/Nashville area alone. In fact, there is a downtown festival...the Brewfest....held every year in Franklin on the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day.

Also, places to pick up some good "shine" if you have the right connections.

patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #35
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
[QUOTE=High Country Herb;20816815, but I'm in the mood for BBQ and bourbon. [/QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of the "Bourbon Trail" in Kentucky?
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #36
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Beware!!! For some completely unknown reason, the folks in SC think that mustard is an acceptable ingredient in barbecue.
Not all of us But then I'm a transplant, I grew up in AL

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #37
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,816
I'm definitely interested in micro-breweries and distilleries. There's more than one way to fill a belly.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it as far as the Kentucky bourbon trail on my short time frame. I had planned on making a stop at Jack Daniel's. I grew up on Old No. 7, and my favorite spirit is a bottle of Barrel House 1 I've been sipping on since 1994. I'd love to find some small batch distillers along the way. I'll have to fight my wife for the passenger's seat, though, since she likes the smokey stuff too.

I was looking into pig hunting in the area. The pay-to-play ranches sure are cheaper there. Most in California charge north of $600, and that doesn't include the pig! I found a few in the $200 range, including two pigs. I may look into public land hunting, like I do here. I hate to pay to hunt. None of the outfits mention shipping the meat home, though. What are the chances I could trade a hog for a bottle of shine somewhere?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
The Opa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591

South Carolina breweries: http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...r/default.aspx

North Carolina: http://www.beer100.com/brewpubs_l_to...thcarolina.htm

Opa Rides
The Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #39
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Opa View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely be checking out Southend Brewery in Charleston, since it seems everyone agrees we should spend some time there. I'll probably spend some time in Ashville, too.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #40
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 132
BBQ competition season starts early around here.

We have a BBQ Cook off at the city park here on Saturday, the 2nd.

Over 10 teams will be competing. Quite a few for a cold season opener.

Smoke will be rollin' all morning and afternoon over there.

I'm a mile away and downwind!

And it's mostly pulled pork! Tender, succulent smoked pork....

Beef, beagle and goat are the supporting cast.

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #41
KemoSabe1943
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh Want to see Redneck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
My wife and I would like to see the South.

Unfortunately, this will be a car trip, (unless someone wants to contribute a loaner bike). We plan to use air miles for travel from California, then rent the cheapest car we can get for about 2 weeks of driving around, on a very low budget. A rough route might include Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Greensboro, Knoxville, Nashville, Huntsville, Birmingham, and Atlanta. Depending on time, we may have to skip one leg of that rectangle. The trip would be in late July - early August.

I have been to Mississippi, Louisiana, and Florida tourist areas, but would like to experience the old culture of the Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee. I don't need to see the sanitized modern culture, as I can read about that in Garden and Gun magazine, and can't afford it anyway.

We would like to eat BBQ (especially if it is at some town function), listen to bluegrass (especially an informal jam), and attend church at an Assemblies of God church. We currently attend church at an AG church in California, but it is very conservative and low key. Something more charismatic (don't care if it is black or white congregation) would be inspirational frankly. A swamp buggy race, truck pull (I'm on a pit crew for a Pro-Modified), or drag race (I'm also on a pit crew for a Nitro Funny Car) would be a blast. I could even check a rifle/shotgun on the airplane for a hunt of some sort. We want to experience what most Californians might consider backwards or redneck, and embrace it instead. I need a break from the fruits and nuts of California. Get the idea?

So does anyone have suggestions of events, places to see, places to eat? Let the suggestions fly!

You need to stop in at Bob's Place, the Oldest Beer Joint in SC. Located on Hwy 178 about 4 miles north of Hwy 11/178 four way stop. Head toward Rosman, NC.

There are many bikes stopping in here, and it looks like a killer joint, and has been. Locally known as Scatterbrain Bob's,cause Ms. Romain's husband, Bob, scattered several live brains over the porch with shotguns. He's dead now, but no one has been shot there in many years. I even stop in for a water sometimes. Friendly folks, but many locals, and sometimes the 's*it' gets deep.

A fellow from down in Columbia (Bubba Cromer) made some really great, funny videos using some of the locals while they were three sheets in the wind, and talking about Bigfoot, and how they had seen them. They are on youtube, but I could not find but one. You'd laugh your butt off at them, if you could find 'em.
YOU GOT TO WATCH THIS ONE:
http://www.myspace.com/video/bigfoot...-of-3/28009073

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9TXrqYSwA

Miss Romain talking about Big Foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LEHgozVLck
Some riders at Bob's place.

I found another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6vTr...4E24153013716F

I hope they will open, etc. But, search for Bob's Place on You tube...bubba cromer, or miss romain///I'll try to find them.

A trip there is worth the effort, and make sure you stop in on a Sat, if possible, when it's warm. But, Miss Romain lives in the white house across the road on the back of the property, next to the Road Kill Grill where they cook out or make music when that place is a stop for a Poker Run of some kind or another.

We have quite a few bootleggers in this part of the country, too. On up 178 toward Rosman is Transylvania County, NC. (Brevard,NC). They have caught only two or three cases of bootleggin' in Trans County,and up that road is where they were caught. Pretty riding, primitive riding...not all that far from Rosman up to The Blue Ride Parkway on Hwy 215, then the high point.

If you happen to come up this way, you cold come to my church, MFBC-SC.org as we are, as some of the outa towners would say, a Bible thumping church. (Marietta, SC) It's located right on Hwy 276 out of Greenville, SC, and on the way to Brevard, NC, another great ride.

Wishing you the best, and if you want some good laughs, find the other videos from Bubba Cromer and Bob's Place in the Search for Bigfoot.

Have a great trip.

KemoSabe1943 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 09:56 AM
KemoSabe1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm definitely interested in micro-breweries and distilleries. There's more than one way to fill a belly.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it as far as the Kentucky bourbon trail on my short time frame. I had planned on making a stop at Jack Daniel's. I grew up on Old No. 7, and my favorite spirit is a bottle of Barrel House 1 I've been sipping on since 1994. I'd love to find some small batch distillers along the way. I'll have to fight my wife for the passenger's seat, though, since she likes the smokey stuff too.

I was looking into pig hunting in the area. The pay-to-play ranches sure are cheaper there. Most in California charge north of $600, and that doesn't include the pig! I found a few in the $200 range, including two pigs. I may look into public land hunting, like I do here. I hate to pay to hunt. None of the outfits mention shipping the meat home, though. What are the chances I could trade a hog for a bottle of shine somewhere?
Catoosa WMA has hog hunting. It's public land.

End of July - Early August, plan on spending a day at Burgess Falls or Cummins Falls, both mid-way from Nashville to Knoxville. It's hard to beat a day at a Tennessee swimming hole with a bottle o' #7.....
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
KemoSabe1943
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh WANT TO SEE A sc Redneck at ScatterBrain Bob's Place

This was filmed inside Bob's Place, the oldest Beer Join in SC on Hwy 178 between Hwy 11 and Rosman, NC.

http://www.myspace.com/video/bigfoot...-of-3/28009073

http://www.myspace.com/bigfootsmovie...video/28533618

KemoSabe1943 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:06 AM
KemoSabe1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #44
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Take in a Nascar race if you can. It's quite popular south of the Mason-Dixon. Watching cars turn left on an oval hasn't really caught on with us Yankees.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #45
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur

Bob's Place seems like a good place to spend the afternoon. Believe it or not, I live in one of the few places in California that has bars like that. The Motherlode has lots of hermits who mine gold in the woods, and come out for supplies and social night with the boys. Good times!

The Nascar track closest to me is Sears Point (now Infineon Raceway), which is one of the road courses in the Nascar circuit. I'm into pretty much anything that has a motor. If I can get a bucket of beer and catch tire shreds in the stands, I'm happy. The crash last week was bad, though.

Speaking of redneck, I just got tickets for Ron White here in Stockton. He has a new routine called "A Little Unprofessional". The cheap seats sold out in 3 days.