Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #271
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
The service crews arrived at the 3rd Bivouac (Nefta) in plenty of time this morning due to a short assistance route - and am testing the wifi... if you can read this, then it works!

As the stage was to be run without timing today (as a mark of respect for Wesley), some of the teams elected to ride directly to the next hotel along the assistance route, while others took the start to enjoy the stage without the pressure of timing, or simply teamed up for a 'trail ride' along the rally route - and all are expected to arrive in good time this afternoon as the stage itself is only around 200kms.

#25 Charlie Rauseo kicking the Big Red Pig this morning:

#504 (Service team) Dave Peckham warming up the RMS/IYSK Wine bikes this morning - most of the team had elected to take the stage start and ride the route together today.

After what was without a doubt the best breakfast pastry so far on the rally, together with a halfway decent cup of coffee this morning - I hitched a ride with Patsy (and Bernard) from Desert Rose again for the transfer:

Typical North African chaos in town:

British burger van:

More later... Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 01:26 PM
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #272
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
wow! Ned

Bart and Tony- excellent job, guys!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #273
gwenduro
Mom!

Oddometer: 170
Watching with bated breath

Time to stop "lurking," and join the conversation. My heart is heavy with the news of Wes' death. My thoughts and prayers reach out to his family . . . I can hardly imagine their pain.

Meanwhile, I watch, heart in my mouth, hoping for the safety of all. I remember Ned's approach to the Dakar, and hope he is sticking to the same game plan, riding his ride . . .

I usually aim for the "cheerleader" approach, but this occurrence has touched me deeply. Stay safe out there!
gwenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #274
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Godspeed Beaney.
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #275
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Preliminary results so far;

http://tuareg-live.com/wp-content/up...sTotalDay2.pdf

Loads of penalties.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #276
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Tuareg Rally Day 3 (Monday March 11th 2013) summary - #87 Tony Schattat

The second stage (Sunday 10th March) was a series of frustrations for Tony, with his bike refusing to start at the beginning of the special stage.

“At first we thought it was a fuel issue as I had changed a pipe that had been leaking in the middle of the night” he explains - “I eventually got it running again, but throughout the first part of the stage it kept cutting out, and was increasingly difficult to start - so that lead me to believe the valves may have gone out of adjustment. “Finally my battery died, and after trying to kick-start the bike, eventually a local guy in a pick-up truck gave me a tow-start. “It ran for maybe ten minutes more then cut-out again and would not start. “Ultimately after about two hours I had no choice but to contact the organisation and wait for the sweeper truck to collect me. "I broke down at around 11am and it was not until after 6pm that I finally arrived at the bivouac.”

Tony spent much of last evening inspecting and adjust the engine to the correct specification, only to find there was no compression. So he elected to also change the piston, finishing work at 5am this morning and getting just a couple of hours sleep.

Due to an incident on the rally yesterday, the timed section of the route today (Day 3) was suspended, and Tony [who is competing without an assistance team] again travelled in the sweeper truck to the next bivouac, where he can continue to repair his bike before the rally resumes tomorrow morning.

Stage result: day 2/7: 83rd

Overall position: day 2/7: 83rd

Photo: Tony worked into the evening adjusting the valves, only to have to continue all night with a piston change in an effort to resolve the lack of compression:

Links: www.rallyenavigationsolutions.com
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #277
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all your updates Jenny!!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #278
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
If anybody can fix it, it will be Tony. How frustrating, though.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #279
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
From Hagenblad's FB:

Tuareg raceday 2 Douz - Gafsa

Woke up feeling a bit better and drove in sandstorm to the start as no 10 with no pennalties. Felt great and the first special went without any real problems. More gravelroads and then another special. This time high speed and easy navigation. At one time I followed the Belgians and thougt, this can’t be right, and turned around, found my track and wasted about 10 min. Morgan, Tony and Mattias was already there, and that means the Swedes are climbing, since the Belgians where ahead yesterday. A bit later there was a ravine where I got my max pulse so long I had to lay down and take a nap. Fever and max pulse are NOT recommended.

Got to the hotel feeling like shit and found our Brittish friends devastated. Wesley had broke his neck and died on a liason. I just talked to him this morning Lost the will to everything. Left the bike, and fell asleep. John, his best friend came over and gave me a hug, and are now leaving. Now I’m beat, sore, and feverish. Good night.

Wesley, I will miss you.

/Calle

Raceday 3 Gafsa - Nefis ta:

Because yesterday's death today is without time. Cruised through the two cities like a tourist, stopped for a coffee in a beatiful oasis even. Quick maintenance and fleed from the sun, which made me dizzy. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow, but if not, the special is 3 laps, and I CAN just do one if im dying or something. But maybe not.

/Calle

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #280
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

I got Timi's 2nd day phone ins this morning, obviously no use sticking on here because they are in Greek, but here is a recap:

- The roadbook directions are painfully small in size, plus the fact that it runs backwards, so most racers used to the normal size & way of doing things are still trying to get used to it.

- Lots of dust, at one point she was genuinely scared shitless after falling, wondering at which point a car was going to pop out of the dust and run her over...

- Her Touratech roadbook failed her yesterday (well it was to be expected, those and sand really don't mix), so she followed some Italians for the majority of the day. Changed to her spare (TT again) in the afternoon and is trying to find a solution to make them sand-proof with lots of duct tape.

- Yesterday had some really tough technical sections, there's a photo somewhere by Alessio Corradini that looks like it belongs in a hard enduro race and not a desert rally.

Hopefully will know more late tonight / early tomorrow morning.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #281
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

- Yesterday had some really tough technical sections, there's a photo somewhere by Alessio Corradini that looks like it belongs in a hard enduro race and not a desert rally.

Hopefully will know more late tonight / early tomorrow morning.
Thats the boiler pass 2.0 , 1.0 wasn't 2 hard, so I guess 2.0 was slighty harder, normal for profi class only. Did she swap classes again or did she follow a group of 'Profi' Italians?

I followed the amateur route last year as I had forgotten to remove that part of the roadbook while taping it all together on the ferry
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #282
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Thats the boiler pass 2.0 , 1.0 wasn't 2 hard, so I guess 2.0 was slighty harder, normal for profi class only. Did she swap classes again or did she follow a group of 'Profi' Italians?

I followed the amateur route last year as I had forgotten to remove that part of the roadbook while taping it all together on the ferry
I think when she found out her RB was bust she didn't think of asking for Amateur or Profi

something to consider in the future I guess
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #283
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Ned at 2:19!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #284
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #116 Lukas Matzinger

...- this is my first time riding in sand, and soft dunes...
First time riding in sand and enters a rally?

Isn't this a bit unusual? I got the impression that someone should train and train and train and train in the sand...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #285
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Was offline yesterday and just caught up. Such sad news, condolences to friends, family and team mates of Wesley
RIP