Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #286
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
A quick question to Jenny or anyone else who has done this race. Is it true that the Pro cars start the day, then followed by the pro bikers half an hour later?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #287
divaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
A quick question to Jenny or anyone else who has done this race. Is it true that the Pro cars start the day, then followed by the pro bikers half an hour later?
Normally all cars (Porfi and Ama) start infront of Moto Profi followed by Moto Ama.
divaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #288
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,197
Jenny said day one was pro cars followed by pro bikes, amateur bikes then ameteur cars

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #289
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by divaha View Post
Normally all cars (Porfi and Ama) start infront of Moto Profi followed by Moto Ama.
Fuck me, in dusty conditions that's criminal. If the Profi bikes start 30 minutes after the cars, it takes the fast riders, what, 20 minutes to catch the slowest car? What the hell are they thinking? Don't they understand that the fast bikers will be pushing to get ahead and achieve a result?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #290
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Anyone know this guy?

Stylish Honda dude...

Images from Marcel @ Rallymaniacs.nl
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #291
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Fuck me, in dusty conditions that's criminal. If the Profi bikes start 30 minutes after the cars, it takes the fast riders, what, 20 minutes to catch the slowest car? What the hell are they thinking? Don't they understand that the fast bikers will be pushing to get ahead and achieve a result?

That is quite true and since most cars competing are crap compared to the bikes over this terrain you are constantly overtaking. In the dust. But luckily the are quite slow like I stated earlier and overtaking is usually quite undramatic. The quads on the other hand, that's a whole different ballgame; fast, wide and very dusty to pursuit!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #292
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
That is quite true and since most cars competing are crap compared to the bikes over this terrain you are constantly overtaking. In the dust. But luckily the are quite slow like I stated earlier and overtaking is usually quite undramatic. The quads on the other hand, that's a whole different ballgame; fast, wide and very dusty to pursuit!
Ι still cannot get over it. There is a long hard debate to be had on what we riders should expect as minimum safety measures before signing up for any event. It has been neglected too long, and I know that this thread is not the place for it, but it needs to happen at some point, especially as I see more and more "races" pop up.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #293
divaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Ι still cannot get over it. There is a long hard debate to be had on what we riders should expect as minimum safety measures before signing up for any event. It has been neglected too long, and I know that this thread is not the place for it, but it needs to happen at some point, especially as I see more and more "races" pop up.
You got a point but I must say that my experience from the two times I competed in the Tuareg wasn't dust from cars but from other bikes. (Last years quads weren't allowed but agree with David from other rallys I know quads are drama)
divaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #294
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
From Scotty Breauxman's FB:

5th.
What a slacker.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #295
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
First time riding in sand and enters a rally?

Isn't this a bit unusual? I got the impression that someone should train and train and train and train in the sand...
He's learning on the job (I will post his summary later this evening) and by all accounts doing rather well at it... to be fair though, he does hold the world record for riding a motorcycle* at over 20,000ft, so has a lot of desert experience - just not in the sand dunes...

*An interesting aside, the bike that Lukas is racing in the Tuareg Rally this year is actually the very same bike that the Husaberg Adventure Team took to the top of the Andes last year... and it still has the same tyre and mousse on the rear wheel!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #296
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,019
Quote:
It depends, they do mix it up a little according to the stage terrain and projected timing - for example tomorrow (Day 4 - the 'Star Wars' day) the Profi bikes will do three laps (of approx 100kms each) of the mixed dune and piste stage, the Cars two laps, and the Amateur bikes only one lap - but tomorrow all competitors follow exactly the same route ie. there is no difference to the route for Profi vs. Amateur, or Cars vs. Bikes...

The start times/order are:

8.00am Profi Bikes

9.10am Profi Cars

9.40am Amateur Bikes

10.00am Amateur Cars

Presumably they have worked this out so that everybody stays reasonably well spaced out, and has enough time to complete their alloted number of laps before the 5pm cut-off.

However, I imagine that the Profi bikes while staying ahead of the cars for at least the first of their three laps, are quite likely to catch up with the slower cars during their second lap - and certainly catch them when the cars are on their second lap and the bikes are on their third?

Other days are different - often the Profi bike route differs to the amateur bike route (which usually take the same route as all the cars) - perhaps with a more technical section, that takes longer than expected - and therefore it is possible that even if the Profi bikes left first, the faster cars could catch up and indeed pass them before the differing routes rejoin?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #297
Mike The Swede
Mike, The Swede

Oddometer: 42
Positions for Team Rally Raid Sweden Day 2

http://www.stilit.se/rallyraidsweden...uareg-2013.pdf

Calle Hagenblad is suffering from fever but still top 10

Tony and Morgan, both in their first rally are doing very well, top 15
Mattias E, seeking revenge after a crash on Day 1, stage 1 in 2011 is very pleased with his performance being top 15.

9 riders out of 12 made it without penalties after Day 2.

To be continued.

Mike The Swede screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 04:02 AM
Mike The Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #298
Iwan Suli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Stylish Honda dude nr 105

Whoa, cool, that "Stylish Honda Dude no 105" in the picture is my fellow Estonian countryman Toomas Triisa who is doing his first desert raid. Go Toomas!!!

Iwan Suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #299
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
5th.
What a slacker.

i thought similar
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #300
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwan Suli View Post
Whoa, cool, that "Stylish Honda Dude no 105" in the picture is my fellow Estonian countryman Toomas Triisa who is doing his first desert raid. Go Toomas!!!

Clap clap from me too!!