User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #301
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,359
Tuareg Rally Day 3 (Monday March 11th 2013) summary - #116 Lukas Matzinger

Lukas was delighted to see that he had finished the second day stage in a very respectable 28th position in the Moto Profi class. “To be honest I was completely surprised - I only every came here to finish [the rally] and learn about navigation, so this is a pretty competitive result out of over a hundred bikes in the class!”

His enthusiasm was clear when he described the stage in more detail: “The good thing for me [today] was my navigation - I didn’t ride particularly fast, as I don’t really have the skills for that, but I made very few mistakes, didn’t miss any checkpoints, and I think this is critical for getting a good result.”

There were two very technical sections today for the Profi class: “The Scuba Pass was basically a long rocky decent - not particularly difficult, but if you made a mistake you could easily drop over the edge about 10 or 20 meters, which would have made recovering the bike very difficult” he explains. “The second section [named the Thomas Garden] was more like a hard-enduro course - very difficult and challenging, but the Husaberg is perfect for those conditions as I could pop a wheel up [over rocks and hazards] with no problem.”

Lukas explained that may of the riders on larger bikes really struggled in that particular section, and that he stopped to help around 10 fellow competitors before accepting some help himself and moving on.

I caught up with Lukas in the paddock at the end of Day 3 (where as a mark of respect regarding an accident on the rally yesterday, the timing element had been suspended), and he was busy changing his rear tyre and mousse that had melted on today’s stage. “This is actually still the same tyre [and mousse] that we fitted for the world record altitude ride last year” he revealed “And although it had only done maybe 100 kilometers in total before this event, it has completely disintegrated - clearly enduro mousses are not suitable for rally racing!”

Stage result: day 2/7: 28th Moto Profi

Overall position: day 2/7: 48th

Photo: Lukas is competing 'Malle Moto' style without an assistance team - living out of a tin trunk carried by the Orga each day.

Links: www.facebook.com/HusabergAdventureTeam
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #302
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,974

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #303
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Day 3 (Monday March 11th 2013) summary - #97 Ned Suesse - Team IYSK Wines

Ned Suesse has consolidated his successful first day result with a 3rd place stage finish in the Profi Moto group on the second day of competition, and was characteristically upbeat as usual:

“It’s a good event, and to be honest I was surprised that the riding today was much harder than I thought they would include... for example there was a short section about 800 meters long, that was more like Erzberg or King Of The Motos than a traditional rally... I mean it was really difficult - I had to wheelie-turn to place my [front] wheel over these huge rocks, just to get through it!”

“I loved it! I thought it was really fun - but it is certainly more technical than I though I would see...”
he added. Ned then explained how he had witnessed a fellow competitor really struggling “He was on a Yamaha rally bike with a low slung exhaust and wide tanks, and he was just beating the crap out of it - it really wasn’t pretty, [and] he was really upset!”

“There was also a pass early on in the day that looked like it was an old road through the mountains from WWII or something, and it had been completely washed out - you had to be really careful with your line to avoid sliding down into a six or eight foot deep gully...”

“The whole day was really neat - the scenery was gorgeous, it reminded me a lot of Utah - and it definitely was the kind of riding that I would want to come back and do again...”

Stage result: day 2/7: 3rd

Overall position: day 2/7: 5th

Photo: Ned about to start the third day after a night of rain.

Links:

www.doubletakemirror.com

www.dualsportriding.com

www.ifyouseekaywines.com
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #304
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146

Awesome.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #305
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
I love how Ned classifies rally stages, with the good ones as "Ones I'd definitely come back and ride again."

Thanks so much for the coverage Jenny!
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #306
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Jenny,

Thanks for the great rally reportage

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #307
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 182
Jenny,

Thanks so much for the first person coverage of the Rallye and the daily pictures. It is great to hear the interview snippets from each of the competitors and the wide difference in perspectives. Also, very thoughtful that you list the sponsors in each segment. You are clearly someone who understands the challenges on both the rally route and on the path to getting there.

Everyone, keep it fun and keep it safe.

"The Dakar is not a reasonable thing to do.... It simply is not reasonable to start with, so don't go looking for it to be reasonable later on." Neduro
leeo45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #308
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
A few Guillaume pics from his FB

the Boiler pass was not very kind to his 690RR.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #309
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Howdy all!

We're riding buddies and fans of Mike Krynock, # 137.
He's been sending us some text updates here and there.
I'll try to post some of the more ... ummm .... "appropriate" sections.

Mikey is a very solid racer and quite quick -- but is trying to race with a diagnosed case of walking pneumonia.

=================
From Mike:

Morning of day 4 and now I'm sure I'm going to be sick the whole time.
It looks like a fun course today but the amateurs ride 100 kilometers and the pros 300 normally I would love the pond stuff.
But right now a flight of stairs has me winded and dizzy. But hey I'm riding Africa.
=================

Yup. Sick as a dog -- but he's still hanging in there.

GO MIKEY!!!!

Cheers, E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #310
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Another 2stroke spotted;

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #311
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quick question: Why aren't there more big-bore two-smokes in rallies?
Is it a mileage issue? Mixing the gas?

Not to trying to start any 2T/4T wars -- just curious.
(I was really cheering for the guy on the Bultaco in the Dakar ...)

E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #312
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Best in the Desert?!

Breaking News from day 4...

Just got back from the start of today's special - the profi bikes have 3 x 100kms loops to complete - a mixture of big dunes, and fast open piste - first bike away (in groups of 4) was at 8.00am and included Ned who finished the previous stage in 3rd place...

The Orga expect the profi bikes to finish in around 7 hours (there is a cut-off for all competitors at 5pm, giving the profi bikes a margin of two hours as required)... Just before the last of the Amateur bikes were leaving the start line at approximately 9.50am - Ned came tearing into the refuel and sped out again - total dialed in!!!

He had completed the first lap in well under two hours - and was at least 5 minutes ahead of the next fastest bike on the stage... in fact as I write, I imagine he is well into his third lap by now - and on target for a comfortable stage win!!!

All together now: GO NED!!!

I climbed to the top of the big dune that was about 500 metres from the start, and you could see the route snaking through the big dunes, before heading across a barren plain on what I imagine is sandy two-track style pistes - seems like Ned is totally in his element today!

More soon - just sorting photos now!

Jx
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #313
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Quick question: Why aren't there more big-bore two-smokes in rallies?
Is it a mileage issue? Mixing the gas?

Not to trying to start any 2T/4T wars -- just curious.
(I was really cheering for the guy on the Bultaco in the Dakar ...)

E-Ticket
Fuel economy mainly I would imagine - and the fact 2-strokes don't like being held wide open for prolonged periods of time... Most rallyes have a significant proportion of liaison to cover each day, typically on tarmac - the Tuareg this year is different as the bivouac locations mean over 90% is off-road, and the majority of that is special stage.

There is also the issue of fuel mixing at the remote refuels - in practice you can measure out the correct amount of oil carried with you (as Ed Taylor is doing each day) and just throw it in the tank before filling - but typically the stage refuels are not measured, so unless your tank is marked externally, it can be difficult to know how much fuel you've used/need to add, and get the correct mixture?

You could of course have a personal/dedicated pre-mixed fuel can, but you'd have to make sure they picked up the right one!

Speaking to Ed yesterday - although he enjoyed riding the technical terrain on the profi route on Sunday, he is conscious that with a close ratio gearbox and only 5 gears, the engine (and fuel economy) takes a hammering at prolonged high speeds... He conceded it was "Not the best choice for a rally bike", but added that it was his only bike, so it would have to do!

Jx
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #314
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Breaking News from day 4...

Just got back from the start of today's special - the profi bikes have 3 x 100kms loops to complete - a mixture of big dunes, and fast open piste - first bike away (in groups of 4) was at 8.00am and included Ned who finished the previous stage in 3rd place...

The Orga expect the profi bikes to finish in around 7 hours (there is a cut-off for all competitors at 5pm, giving the profi bikes a margin of two hours as required)... Just before the last of the Amateur bikes were leaving the start line at approximately 9.50am - Ned came tearing into the refuel and sped out again - total dialed in!!!

He had completed the first lap in well under two hours - and was at least 5 minutes ahead of the next fastest bike on the stage... in fact as I write, I imagine he is well into his third lap by now - and on target for a comfortable stage win!!!

All together now: GO NED!!!

I climbed to the top of the big dune that was about 500 metres from the start, and you could see the route snaking through the big dunes, before heading across a barren plain on what I imagine is sandy two-track style pistes - seems like Ned is totally in his element today!

More soon - just sorting photos now!

Jx
Fantastic read to start my day! Go Ned!!!!!
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #315
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

These are not the droids you are looking for...

Day 4 "Star Wars" (you'll see why in a moment)...

I went up to the start/finish refuel point with Donna and Martin from Torque Racing this morning to see all the bikes off, as the Orga had said the backdrop to the start line was very picturesque... they weren't wrong:

This is not the film set you are looking for...

View of the desert, and parking for one Land-speeder...

I almost missed the start of the Moto Profi riders, but fortunately made the kessel run in 12 parsecs and just caught #97 Neduro going off the line:

Not long followed by #119 LukasM on the big 'berg:

#22 Guillaume Martens on the 690RR:

And not least bivouac hero #87 Tony Schattat, who had spent another long night replacing the barrel and piston on his WR in an effort to cure the lack of compression... he was confident all the work had paid off!

Moto Amateur group:

#332 Ollie Lloyd (far right):

#317 Jean-Luc Solans:

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 07:37 AM