Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
what are the dates for next year?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #317
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
From Ned's Facebook

Another good day. 320kms of sand and dunes, felt solid and enjoyed myself. Story of the day was following Rob Smets (son of Joel) thru camel grass, he was making some awesome doubles. Luckily I was forcing him to open the track so I could keep up.

Naptime now!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #318
Deadly99
Fast and Far

From Jean-Luc Solans Facebook page...

We could not finish the day without dunes, of course ;)

I'm so glad that after a tiring day I can at least rest in a hotel room and not in the tent stuck between trucks.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #319
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Day 3 video from the organizers

Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #320
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,396
Go NED!!!!!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #321
Wild Man
Escape Artist

Oddometer: 1,471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
oh man this is awesome. Any news of Bart (Wildman?) COngrats to Tony S, as well, he must be having a ball
Hey Jason,

I suppose you need to start the race to actually be something other than last place. Fact is, I came here only 4 weeks after collar bone surgery which slapped together the four pieces of bone onto a plate with eight screws. Seeing that I'm 50 now, things just don't stitch together as fast as when I was younger and I elected not to race and allow my body to heal properly so I can race another day.

It's certainly not what I had planned but the bike was already shipped and all payments already dispersed before I crashed in the dunes of Nevada while training for the Tuareg. The best concession was to come and see what the rally was all about from the backside. That being said, I've learned quite a bit and still had fun riding throughout Tunisia on the liasons and riding out to some of the CPs. I even got a little dune riding in today out near the Star Wars set before my shoulder started aching a bit. Overall, it has been a blast to be out here and meet some of the other inmates that I didn't know previously. They are all a great bunch of people and many are quite the characters.

I'll be racing again soon enough and I certainly have the bug to get back out for another rally race like the Tuareg or others at some point soon. In the meantime, I'm not wasting the opportunity to learn as much as possible from the backside so my next effort is substantially more successful. Lemonade out of lemons and all that stuff.

Sorry I missed you guys at Sandblast and thanks again for the inquiries and words of encouragement from my ADV friends.

I'm off to do some work on the bike.

-Bart #331 - DNS... But having fun just the same.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #322
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Making the best of it man! Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
Hey Jason,

I suppose you need to start the race to actually be something other than last place. Fact is, I came here only 4 weeks after collar bone surgery which slapped together the four pieces of bone onto a plate with eight screws. Seeing that I'm 50 now, things just don't stitch together as fast as when I was younger and I elected not to race and allow my body to heal properly so I can race another day.

It's certainly not what I had planned but the bike was already shipped and all payments already dispersed before I crashed in the dunes of Nevada while training for the Tuareg. The best concession was to come and see what the rally was all about from the backside. That being said, I've learned quite a bit and still had fun riding throughout Tunisia on the liasons and riding out to some of the CPs. I even got a little dune riding in today out near the Star Wars set before my shoulder started aching a bit. Overall, it has been a blast to be out here and meet some of the other inmates that I didn't know previously. They are all a great bunch of people and many are quite the characters.

I'll be racing again soon enough and I certainly have the bug to get back out for another rally race like the Tuareg or others at some point soon. In the meantime, I'm not wasting the opportunity to learn as much as possible from the backside so my next effort is substantially more successful. Lemonade out of lemons and all that stuff.

Sorry I missed you guys at Sandblast and thanks again for the inquiries and words of encouragement from my ADV friends.

c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #323
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
Hey Jason,

Ahhh! AH well- Thats disappointing :frown-- but oh! You have good spirit! Its sure worth going like youre are, if you elect not to go as you first intended. I applaud your sportsmanship- I'm sure Jonah's ex-bike will be looking forward to racing again as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #324
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Many thanks for the spot-on 2T rally bike thoughts, Jenny.

E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #325
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Now Looks Official

http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/...l#.UT9YANF4Zuc
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #326
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Woo-hoo!!!! That is just awesomw news!
Go Kurt!!

KTM Motorsports has announced a new era for its factory rally team, which as of 2013 will ride under the name of Red Bull KTM Factory Racing.
The new team will field a strong three-rider lineup of Marc Coma, Ruben Faria and Kurt Caselli.
The KTM factory team presence will be further enhanced by top Chilean rider Francesco ‘Chaleco’ Lopez who will be supported with a full factory package.
Lopez will be competing on the same factory rally machine as the other three riders. ......

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #327
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

iPhone update from Mike Krynock (# 137):

Well I must say today's riding was amazing except for the fever, chills, coughing,dizziness and constant ringing in my ears.
I thank my lucky stars that the KTM 525 is so easy to ride.
I had a couple of tip overs in the deep sand but no crashes. Well I did sail over a dune that I couldn't see the edge (snow-blind) and sunk the bike up to both fenders.
But I'm just riding at the speed of fun and the road book was really good today. No giant mistakes by the people who laid it out.
But there was a lot of dune to dune way point chasing.
But I still think I may skip tomorrow or just ride some of it because the heat and me being sick has me on the ropes.
I'm just not well enough to ride hard. Anyway I think the tracker might have shut off during the ride.
Anyway tomorrows another day and hopefully I will feel better soon.

-- MK

=================================

I had walking pneumonia a couple of weeks back.
And I am struggling to imagine how tough it must be to be racing, and picking up your bike in soft dunes ... over and over, while being that sick.

Man, Mikey is one tough dood.

GO MIKEY ...!!!!

Cheers, E-ticket

Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #328
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Woo-hoo!!!! That is just awesomw news!
Go Kurt!!

KTM Motorsports has announced a new era for its factory rally team, which as of 2013 will ride under the name of Red Bull KTM Factory Racing.
The new team will field a strong three-rider lineup of Marc Coma, Ruben Faria and Kurt Caselli.
The KTM factory team presence will be further enhanced by top Chilean rider Francesco ‘Chaleco’ Lopez who will be supported with a full factory package.
Lopez will be competing on the same factory rally machine as the other three riders. ......
That is great news!!! Good for Kurt!
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #329
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
A fleeting wifi connection on the phone...

I think rumors of my performance today may be off a few places, but that doesn't change how much I enjoyed it.

Only thing that I did not like was having to make so many passes, it's a bit sketchy when there are so many different speeds coming together on a loop. But overall, a fun ride. Plus, I got to visit the set of star wars, so life is pretty much complete.

Absolutely loving the 505, it rips in the sand. Lyndon jetted it when I loaned it to him last summer and it is absolutely perfect.

Final thought- I love how many people I know in the bivouac through this place. Some great company made better by the power of the web. Thanks baldy!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #330
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
thanks for giving us a connection to the rally, jenny. The news of wes is sad, may he race in peace.
Glad there is a reporter on location to share real news, not gossip. Again, thank you very much, jenny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeo45 View Post
jenny,

thanks so much for the first person coverage of the rallye and the daily pictures. It is great to hear the interview snippets from each of the competitors and the wide difference in perspectives. Also, very thoughtful that you list the sponsors in each segment. you are clearly someone who understands the challenges on both the rally route and on the path to getting there.
+1
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote