Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #436
StefanW
Explorer

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
As I mention above, Ned got re-seeded to the second row, and started next to 5th place Carl Hagenblad - I have a great sequence of them racing off the line (will post shortly) - in the meantime, here is Ned just winning their sprint start!

Jx
Go Calle go!!
StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #437
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 6,998
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #438
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
They may be in shock that an American is kicking butt. Would be excellent to have a Neduro/ ADV victory!
Yup, we are in total shock! Who knew there were talented American riders!?

Go Calle!!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #439
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by david p. View Post
yup, we are in total shock! Who knew there were talented american riders!?

go calle!!

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #440
stretch the wire
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It's all in the timing!

Jenny...

Thanks for your coverage and on-the-spot reporting, it has been really good to be able to keep up with events, compared to recent years where getting information back to friends and supporters has been an issue.

Firstly I would like to say how gutted I am at the news of Wes's death on the rally, it has knocked me for six. I know it has affected many of us "back home" and my thoughts are with his family and close friends.

With regards to the incorrect results for Ned, unfortunately this is nothing new. I would urge all competitors to check the signature and time on your timecard at every checkpoint, I know that you are in a rush and need to get going, but the rules state that the checking of the record your responsibility, if there is nothing in the box or it is incorrect it is your responsibility, there is nothing you can do about it....unless perhaps you have a special relationship with Orga.

It has happened to me twice, once they missed a secret check and I was penalised four hours, the other time they stated that I did not make any of the checks for the whole day! For both I had to submit official protests, both were upheld and the reason given: "Clerical Error". I did not get the benefit of "Seeding" to the second row I had to start towards the back of the field for the following days whilst the protest was being checked. This happened in subsequent years, both whilst running in the top 10 of the events.

I wonder how many errors go unchecked by riders who are not sure if they made that check or not...many could be far higher up the results, but heh they may never know. The antiquated system used by the Orga is problematic, and when you invest so much time and money to participate, amateur or not, the recording of results should be accurate and fair to all. This is one of the main reasons I did not return this year.

I must state that the Tuareg is a fantastic event, at an excellent cost but, for me, there needs to be a better timing/results system in place for it to be fair. GPS routes should not be distributed before the event, and free beer and tall blondes on tap.

Good luck to you all and keep it on two wheels!

PS. Jenny please can you advise list of our Brit riders positions in profi and amateur classes so that we can get behind them!

Greetings to Team "All Torque" Racing!

Regards

John Freeman
stretch the wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #441
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
Quick update & photos of day 6: I made the start line this morning with barely a minute to spare before Ned left the line - courtesy of a lift with regular Tuareg Rally UK Assistance Team manager David Lambeth (who was taking a year off this time) and had travelled down to Tunisia in an aging MGF, complete with sand tyres and a spare wheel mounted on the boot-lid!

The hydro-pneumatic suspension on the little RWD two-seater can be pumped up to increase ride-height, and it is so light it would go almost anywhere - he delighted in telling us how he'd made it as far as CP2 while reccying the first day's stage before the start of the rally!

Ned and Calle, moments before the off!

Having seen Ned away to a convincing lead of the second row of 4 riders, I turned my attention to the rest of the Moto Profi pack...

#116 Lukas Matzinger kicking up a storm...

#75 Charlie Rauseo powering off the line...

Wind and dry sand made for a lot of dust...

#86 Ed Taylor on the 300EXC 2-stroke...

Campaigning the Moto Amateur class, I caught up with Ed's Macad team-mate #22 Polytimi before she headed to the startline:

#332 Ollie Lloyd is on a roll with a back-to-back stage win in the MA class:

#332 Ollie and the others, waiting for the start of the MA group:

This is what they would face today on SS6 - a sea of dunes...

cont.

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 09:48 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #442
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,657
Polytimi

Snoopy Power !!!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #443
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Great post and insight on the man, sir ... thank you for sharing.

- ET
Thanks for that... hard to stop thinking about this.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #444
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Keep 'em coming Jen, awesome pictures
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #445
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
cont.

getting all arty farty, waiting for the MA group to start:

And they're off - first bike away was stage winner from yesterday #332 Ollie Lloyd... his father (who had ridden down from the UK to support him) had the feeling the rest of the pack might hold back and let Ollie open the course, as navigation is one of his strong points...

#133 Dirk Kessler - team IYSK Wine:

#22 Polytimi away from the line...

At first I thought some wag had draped a giant tarp over this key statue... but I think it's art...

Some of the Rally Raid UK kitted bikes (who's riders have withdrawn) in the paddock:

Your Media Monkey's nutritional lunch...

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 08:21 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #446
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch the wire View Post
Jenny...

Thanks for your coverage and on-the-spot reporting, it has been really good to be able to keep up with events, compared to recent years where getting information back to friends and supporters has been an issue.

Firstly I would like to say how gutted I am at the news of Wes's death on the rally, it has knocked me for six. I know it has affected many of us "back home" and my thoughts are with his family and close friends.

With regards to the incorrect results for Ned, unfortunately this is nothing new. I would urge all competitors to check the signature and time on your timecard at every checkpoint, I know that you are in a rush and need to get going, but the rules state that the checking of the record your responsibility, if there is nothing in the box or it is incorrect it is your responsibility, there is nothing you can do about it....unless perhaps you have a special relationship with Orga.

It has happened to me twice, once they missed a secret check and I was penalised four hours, the other time they stated that I did not make any of the checks for the whole day! For both I had to submit official protests, both were upheld and the reason given: "Clerical Error". I did not get the benefit of "Seeding" to the second row I had to start towards the back of the field for the following days whilst the protest was being checked. This happened in subsequent years, both whilst running in the top 10 of the events.

I wonder how many errors go unchecked by riders who are not sure if they made that check or not...many could be far higher up the results, but heh they may never know. The antiquated system used by the Orga is problematic, and when you invest so much time and money to participate, amateur or not, the recording of results should be accurate and fair to all. This is one of the main reasons I did not return this year.

I must state that the Tuareg is a fantastic event, at an excellent cost but, for me, there needs to be a better timing/results system in place for it to be fair. GPS routes should not be distributed before the event, and free beer and tall blondes on tap.

Good luck to you all and keep it on two wheels!

PS. Jenny please can you advise list of our Brit riders positions in profi and amateur classes so that we can get behind them!

Greetings to Team "All Torque" Racing!

Regards

John Freeman
fantastic first post, and must say I have to agree with many of your points. I've had a good friend quit a race mid-way through, disgusted at the inadequacies of orga time keeping which kept seeding him 60 positions lower than what he rode each day. Infuriating to say the least, especially considering how much money is spent to get to a race (the entry fee is just a fraction)

Some thoughts of my own to share on this event (and how it relates to other "low budget" events which have been popping up lately), best saved for the end of the race.

Till, then, cheering for all the usual suspects and wishing them a safe last day
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #447
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,434
honestly just reading the entry and regs on the website didnt fill me with confidence.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #448
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
cont.

Your Media Monkey's nutritional lunch...

Jx
Jenny: if our paths ever cross -- lunch is on me.

Thanks for all your effort and the great coverage.

Cheers! E-Ticket

P.S. You ought to show your coverage -- and this thread -- to the organizers and see if you can have them just let you *run* things on the media side next year for free air travel, lodging, and "other consderations."

:^)

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i

E-Ticket2 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 09:52 AM
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #449
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
honestly just reading the entry and regs on the website didnt fill me with confidence.
Please keep in mind that this is an amateur event, it does reflect for example in their language skills (beside german) and time keepers etc.

Just because some people enter with 450RR's and the like (or fly half way across the world to attend(the Japanese riders from last year for example)), it is not organised with any other ambition then to provide a fun week of riding.

Competitors and the internet have hyped the event (for good reason, as it does take you out of your comfor zone) but it doesnt compare with most of the FIM events or Australasian Safari for example.

Not meant to be mean, just to make a realistic point of what to expect.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #450
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Please keep in mind that this is an amateur event, it does reflect for example in their language skills (beside german) and time keepers etc.

Just because some people enter with 450RR's and the like (or fly half way across the world to attend(the Japanese riders from last year for example)), it is not organised with any other ambition then to provide a fun week of riding.

Competitors and the internet have hyped the event (for good reason, as it does take you out of your comfor zone) but it doesnt compare with most of the FIM events or Australasian Safari for example.

Not meant to be mean, just to make a realistic point of what to expect.
I totally agree! The time-keeping IS the responsibility of the rider(great suggestion to photograph the time-card, Brodo) and if you want FIM organisation, the total cost would probably rise from ~3000EUR to ~10000EUR. This is not in the world series and nor should it be! Please accept it for what it is; a great adventure and a little taste of how a Dakar could be.