Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #451
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Please keep in mind that this is an amateur event, it does reflect for example in their language skills (beside german) and time keepers etc.

Just because some people enter with 450RR's and the like (or fly half way across the world to attend(the Japanese riders from last year for example)), it is not organised with any other ambition then to provide a fun week of riding.

Competitors and the internet have hyped the event (for good reason, as it does take you out of your comfor zone) but it doesnt compare with most of the FIM events or Australasian Safari for example.

Not meant to be mean, just to make a realistic point of what to expect.
Thanks Ant, I see what youre saying. Did not intend to denigrate the event- Just meant it left a lot to my imagination

I have been snapping cell phone pics of my time cards here for a year or two.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #452
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Well, that was an ass kicking. Mark Smits gave us a lesson, I think he beat me by half an hour. Well done to him, I had a stroke of luck in early nav and caught him, only to have front row seats to his sand mastery. Strong winds, no piste, and soft dunes meant it was the first stage I can't honestly claim to have enjoyed.

Nap time now!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #453
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Well, that was an ass kicking. Mark Smits gave us a lesson, I think he beat me by half an hour. Well done to him, I had a stroke of luck in early nav and caught him, only to have front row seats to his sand mastery. Strong winds, no piste, and soft dunes meant it was the first stage I can't honestly claim to have enjoyed.

Nap time now!
We're still well impressed with your progress and results! Dont go crazy and make sure that to finish first, first you will have to finish!

Night nigh :)
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #454
gwenduro
Mom!

Oddometer: 170
Another Day . . .

Okay, so I'm biased, but you've got to hand it to Ned. He readily, generously, gives credit where credit is due, and freely acknowledges high quality performance when he sees it. Attaboy!!!!

I'm proud of you, Ned, for the way you approach this whole experience. I'm watching from afar, but feel like I'm near. Hugs and love to you.
gwenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #455
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Please keep in mind that this is an amateur event, it does reflect for example in their language skills (beside german) and time keepers etc.

Just because some people enter with 450RR's and the like (or fly half way across the world to attend(the Japanese riders from last year for example)), it is not organised with any other ambition then to provide a fun week of riding.

Competitors and the internet have hyped the event (for good reason, as it does take you out of your comfor zone) but it doesnt compare with most of the FIM events or Australasian Safari for example.

All good points, sir.

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #456
Mike The Swede
Mike, The Swede

Oddometer: 47
Team Rally Raid Sweden

Results after day 5

I don't know anything about the result for today more than that Calle and Morgan made it to the finish line.
Mike The Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #457
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:

I don;t know if I agree 100%, I have seen much cheaper events with ace organization, safety & world-level tracking & timekeeping. I'll keep it in mind to discuss later. Also, some aspects are not cost related (just common sense): like the cars starting before the bikes. For an entry fee of 1700 euros, charging an extra 40 for rolls instead of A5 pages sounds cheap.

Regardless, on with today, just got a message from Timi, she is exhausted, said today was difficult and not very fun.

Congrats to Ned & Smits & Calle & Ed and everyone that finished

Now to wait for Jenny's podium & party pics
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #458
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
From Guillaume via FB:

I slept very well. No frustration. No disappointment. I'm very proud that the driving was going very well, in the sometimes very difficult terrain, which is not easy with the heavy 690RFR. I always filled up to maximum, so the conditions where harder then when filling up only half.

After having so much penalties on the first competition day, this race became a preparation for the next Africa Race (AER). The navigation at the Tuareg rally btw is totally different from the AER. My main goal for this year is PHARAONS rally and AER 2014. I will try to start training in motocross and enduro. To get better in navigation, I will do some eastern Europe rallies (Hellas, maybe to early, Albania & Serres of course).

The accident I had was just a little unlucky, because the guy in front of me was driving slow and he suddenly went of his line, so the only way around him was driving over a camel grass hump. With about 80km/h and a fully loaded bike (36 liters gas on board) it was not possible to tame the bike. It was kicking like a wild horse, so I made a nice hi-sider and landed on my chest and helmet eating some sand & dust. Took me only 2 second to get on my feed, so I thought everything is OK. After driving on for another 3 km I noticed that my hand was not having enough power to occupy the clutch handle. I stopped, took of my left glove and yes: my hand was swollen quet a bit, I was not able to hold on the handle bar in a proper way, so I had to return to the start.

After that it took a long time to get photos in the hospital in Douz and the rally doctors told me that my bone needs a little operation to put it back in place. So next week I will visit my doctor in Switzerland.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #459
TheCadman
Old school

Oddometer: 14
Winner party pictures

If Jenny is going to provide us with photos of the 'Winner Party' after the event, I hope that the Orga have upgraded the entertainment from that in Spain for the last couple of years. Rammstein in the mornings was one thing, but Eurodisco and a very tired stripper revealed all too much about the German sense of fun!

Of course, such things may be a bit harder to arrange in Tunisia..
TheCadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #460
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
iPhone update from Mike Krynock (# 137):

=======================
I'm still sick but not as bad but today was the toughest stage and I think I did pretty good.
I had problems with the electrical system the GPS kept shutting off and I would have to restart it then go back to routes day6 navigate range 300 feet etc took forever each time and I had to do it a 20 times today.
But no crashes and no fever or shivers but I am still sick and my ears won't stop ringing and I have a splitting headache and dizziness and shortness of breath.
But for a sick guy I rode my ass off and didn't pull out. I was "hamlet" in a helmet to race or not too race.
I was really debating pulling out.
It is not smart to crash riding sick but who gets to ride Africa so I had to pull the finger out.
One short day and then head home.
========================

Way to hang in there, Mikey! We're pretty dang proud of ya', mate.

Now be safe and enjoy the last day, eh!

E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #461
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
A nice video again, featuring a local hero;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfmPj...e_gdata_player
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #462
BocaLupo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Schnitzel Gate
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #463
gnuttis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Can anyone tell me where the music came from about the 5th day shown right above this post. The music after the map scene please. Many thanks!

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2
gnuttis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #464
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
I totally agree! The time-keeping IS the responsibility of the rider(great suggestion to photograph the time-card, Brodo) and if you want FIM organisation, the total cost would probably rise from ~3000EUR to ~10000EUR. This is not in the world series and nor should it be! Please accept it for what it is; a great adventure and a little taste of how a Dakar could be.
No. The time keeping is the responsibility of the orga. Checking the time keeping is the riders.

Mistakes happen, but should be corrected as soon as possible. It can't be that difficult.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #465
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 223
sending rally bikes up that rock field looks like a rather useless exercise.

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote