Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #31
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
The most experienced riders I am aware of who have put them through their paces in both arid and wet conditions are MetalJockey and the Sth African Crew he rides with. Do a search on advrider for his ride reports. They trust them for 4000 km + trips through remote regions. Three RR's are below

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584006
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517112
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134368
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447931

WayneC1 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:30 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
Adrian V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Good info

Thanks for that WayneC1, I'll check those RR's out.
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

No worries, the Angola one sent shivers up my spine with the mistake they made tackling Skeleton Coast, they were lucky to get out in one piece, I grew up with coastal conditions and they made a basic beginners mistake with the beach, but my hat is off to them with what they take on
Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #34
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
I have no expierance with using Mousse tubes, however i'm surprized by the number of claims of lower pressure pinch flats on HD tubes. After doing 20,000 k on the DR i got my first pinch flat on the rear running at 16 psi, which is what i normally run offroad. Even rides like Captains Crossing with lot's of rock and ruts no flats. At Moto X we often run 10-12 psi on soft tracks and 14 psi on hard packed, and those tubes and tyres are getting compressed off 60 foot jumps continuously, we haven't had to many failures over the years. Are you guy's using Talc powder over your tubes, i swear by it.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #35
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
I have no expierance with using Mousse tubes, however i'm surprized by the number of claims of lower pressure pinch flats on HD tubes. After doing 20,000 k on the DR i got my first pinch flat on the rear running at 16 psi, which is what i normally run offroad. Even rides like Captains Crossing with lot's of rock and ruts no flats. At Moto X we often run 10-12 psi on soft tracks and 14 psi on hard packed, and those tubes and tyres are getting compressed off 60 foot jumps continuously, we haven't had to many failures over the years. Are you guy's using Talc powder over your tubes, i swear by it.
Another common cause of pinch flats is poorly setup suspension. Too much high speed compression damping means that the wheel doesn't move fast enough and the tyre takes the hit.

I run 10-12 psi in UHD tubes on my Bergs on rocks no worries and 14-15 with HD tubes in the DR with a load and don't have pinch flats.

What I do get is tyres spinning on the rim even with locks, and that for me was the major attraction of the Tubeliss, its bead lock function.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #36
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Another common cause of pinch flats is poorly setup suspension. Too much high speed compression damping means that the wheel doesn't move fast enough and the tyre takes the hit.

I run 10-12 psi in UHD tubes on my Bergs on rocks no worries and 14-15 with HD tubes in the DR with a load and don't have pinch flats.

What I do get is tyres spinning on the rim even with locks, and that for me was the major attraction of the Tubeliss, its bead lock function.
Your right i forgot to mention rim locks, most important with lower pressures on tube tyres.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
Adrian V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Nothing wrong with UHD tubes

I've done a fair few loaded desert trips now and plenty of day trips, fanging through the bush in rocky conditions and I have never had a puncture with UHD tubes. Luck perhaps, but as Begdonk says, good suspension must pay a part, that and keeping the pressures up a bit in the worst conditions. I have had the tyres creep round even with 2 rimlocks, but I just re-position the tyre when that happens.

What really interests me about Tubliss is the ability to really lower the pressure in sand, so allowing more control and a more measured approach in bottomless sand rather than relying on momentum and speed to get over the hard stuff.

Maybe I'm just getting soft , but steady away on a trip out bush is increasingly appealing to me and I'd rather sit around the fire at night nursing a port than an injury, from riding out of my comfort zone for too long............
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #38
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,104
how far and fast could you run a mousse before it got hot?
80 kph?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #39
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

One thing I noticed reading the RR's from the Sth African riders using Tubeliss in remote areas is that they keep a careful eye on the pressure to the internal bladder to ensure it has the 100psi. This may be the key in the failures reported and it would also be important to ensure the rim locking of the system
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #40
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer: 985
Road use?

Just say I were to install these in the dr650 and use them for adv type riding, including high speed transport sections, are there any likely negative consequences?
That is, legal and insurance issues aside.
Should they really be "off road only?"

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer: 985
bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
You mean other than not fitting DR650 rim sizes?

No...
More research next time.
Or an 18" rear

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #42
alfy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
hey numbers, sounds like you have had a good run with these things. Im bout to give them a crack on my 300, do you run slime in the tyre and / or the inner tube?? If so what sort of amounts?? Cheers.
alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #43
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Just the normal Michelin Bib Mousse - they have a pressure equivalent of 13psi

FYI all, there is no "normal" Michelin Mousse, there are various models with different consistency for specific uses.

For high speed riding on a heavier bike you definitely want the M16 in the front, and the M02 in the back. This is the same one that the Dakar guys use, harder than the Enduro mousses but it can deal with heat the best (just don't go blasting along the highway on a 950 with it).

It won't hold up as long as a tube can under ideal conditions, but if you have an unsupported trip of a few thousand kilometers and you want 100% reliability, I would chose it over the Tubliss system any day.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #44
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,326
just saw this thread... the only way I could get Tubliss to fail:

1- Nick / cut the liner with a tire spoon / rim burr. This will cause an eventual catastrophic blow out of the inner bladder some time later when you least expect. Happened easily on the first gen Tubliss. User error.
2- failure to run tire sealant. Slime and the like act as a lube and coolant. without such it will heat up and break down catastrophically.
3- Rim tape wearing through. I use the stock KTM rim strips, otherwise check the tape every tire change! I found it eventually wears through and the bladder will rub on the spoke nubs, leading to catastrophic failure. Just check it and replace once every 3-4 tires and you will be fine

Otherwise bulletproof. ridiculously bullet proof. I have hundreds of miles on completely flat tires with not a single dent in any rim
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,481
I have no experience with tubliss, but when I saw this thread resurface I thought of this post in the racing section from a day or so ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GezwindeSpoed View Post
I tried Tubliss in Tuareg rally 2011 with this result on day 2:

Stay with UHD tubes, I do not expect a lot of nails in Tunesia.
He didn't say what happened, and it was in regards to a rallye where someone said they were going to run tubliss in the Tunesia rallye (I'm not sure because the OP of that thread didn't give much info but did give a link that I didn't bother to open).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote