User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
kalaharigeorge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Mexico: Overstaying 180 day vehicle import

Does anyone have experience with overstaying the 180 day vehicle import rule in Mexico? What are the consequences?

Thanks
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaharigeorge View Post
Does anyone have experience with overstaying the 180 day vehicle import rule in Mexico? What are the consequences?

Thanks
If this has actually happened, you have lost your bike's bond, but that's all (so far).

Assuming you still have the bike and the TVIP, you can proceed to an aduana and cancel it (and you should) if you are still in Mexico or in the U.S. and close to the border.

If you are out of Mexico and far away from an aduana, you can return with that bike at a later date and still cancel the TVIP, get another TVIP, and go back into Mexico.

The issue arises when you don't cancel the TVIP, and wish to return to Mexico with a different vehicle.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
kalaharigeorge OP
Adventurer

Questions

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been more explicit. I wish to leave my bike in CA for 9 months while I return to Australia. It's a USA registered bike (my name) and I have a TVIP.

One of my options is to store my bike in Mexico and return home, then go back to Mexico in 9 months. The bike would remain in Mexico and the TVIP would expire.

Am I correct .... I will lose only the bond I paid (I paid $400)?

Will I be able to get another TVIP when I return?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If this has actually happened, you have lost your bike's bond, but that's all (so far).

Assuming you still have the bike and the TVIP, you can proceed to an aduana and cancel it (and you should) if you are still in Mexico or in the U.S. and close to the border.

If you are out of Mexico and far away from an aduana, you can return with that bike at a later date and still cancel the TVIP, get another TVIP, and go back into Mexico.

The issue arises when you don't cancel the TVIP, and wish to return to Mexico with a different vehicle.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I know in the past you could get a 3 or 4 day permit to get your bike out of the country legally if the permot expired. I don't know iof that is still true.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
quadman
ex pat in Mexico

Oddometer: 15
TVIP expired

Just turned in my TVIP after 14 months in Baja. Aduana's only concern was tha I understood that the bond would not be returned. They took photo of vin and gave me a copy of exit paperwork then they went to lunch.....no big deal. Crossed at Mexicali.
quadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
kalaharigeorge OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadman View Post
Just turned in my TVIP after 14 months in Baja. Aduana's only concern was tha I understood that the bond would not be returned. They took photo of vin and gave me a copy of exit paperwork then they went to lunch.....no big deal. Crossed at Mexicali.