ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
kalaharigeorge OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 18
Mexico: Overstaying 180 day vehicle import

Does anyone have experience with overstaying the 180 day vehicle import rule in Mexico? What are the consequences?

Thanks
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaharigeorge View Post
Does anyone have experience with overstaying the 180 day vehicle import rule in Mexico? What are the consequences?

Thanks
If this has actually happened, you have lost your bike's bond, but that's all (so far).

Assuming you still have the bike and the TVIP, you can proceed to an aduana and cancel it (and you should) if you are still in Mexico or in the U.S. and close to the border.

If you are out of Mexico and far away from an aduana, you can return with that bike at a later date and still cancel the TVIP, get another TVIP, and go back into Mexico.

The issue arises when you don't cancel the TVIP, and wish to return to Mexico with a different vehicle.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
kalaharigeorge OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 18
Questions

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been more explicit. I wish to leave my bike in CA for 9 months while I return to Australia. It's a USA registered bike (my name) and I have a TVIP.

One of my options is to store my bike in Mexico and return home, then go back to Mexico in 9 months. The bike would remain in Mexico and the TVIP would expire.

Am I correct .... I will lose only the bond I paid (I paid $400)?

Will I be able to get another TVIP when I return?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If this has actually happened, you have lost your bike's bond, but that's all (so far).

Assuming you still have the bike and the TVIP, you can proceed to an aduana and cancel it (and you should) if you are still in Mexico or in the U.S. and close to the border.

If you are out of Mexico and far away from an aduana, you can return with that bike at a later date and still cancel the TVIP, get another TVIP, and go back into Mexico.

The issue arises when you don't cancel the TVIP, and wish to return to Mexico with a different vehicle.
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Mex City
Oddometer: 221
I know in the past you could get a 3 or 4 day permit to get your bike out of the country legally if the permot expired. I don't know iof that is still true.
__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/garryhostel/ Mexico City's Free Motorcycle Resort
garrydymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
quadman
ex pat in Mexico
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southern Baja
Oddometer: 15
TVIP expired

Just turned in my TVIP after 14 months in Baja. Aduana's only concern was tha I understood that the bond would not be returned. They took photo of vin and gave me a copy of exit paperwork then they went to lunch.....no big deal. Crossed at Mexicali.
quadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
kalaharigeorge OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 18
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadman View Post
Just turned in my TVIP after 14 months in Baja. Aduana's only concern was tha I understood that the bond would not be returned. They took photo of vin and gave me a copy of exit paperwork then they went to lunch.....no big deal. Crossed at Mexicali.
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014