Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
29andSingle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Recommendations for vehicle storage in San Diego?

Heading to Baja for a week starting next weekend (3/10). Any good places to leave our truck? We are driving over from Denver and crossing at Tijuana or Mexicali.

-Jason
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
29andSingle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Open to other locations as well if anyone has any other recommendations. I have no issues crossing at Tijuana, Mexicali, or Tecate.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,098
You can cross at Tecate, head east out of town on the Mex 2 libre (not the cuota), then after some miles, but before the turnoff to Rancho Santa Veronica, on your left is the Tecate KOA which is called Rancho Ojai. They have cabins for rent, a store, restaurant, and secure parking in the back for 5 bucks a day. Lots of riders park their rigs there without issue. I've parked there many times.

Just a thought if you dont find something on the north side of the border.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 09:07 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
29andSingle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
You can cross at Tecate, head east out of town on the Mex 2 libre, then after some miles, but before the turnoff to Rancho Santa Veronica, on your left is the Tecate KOA which is called Rancho Ojai. They have cabins for rent, a store, restaurant, and secure parking in the back for 5 bucks a day. Lots of riders park their rigs there without issue. I've parked there many times.

Just a thought if you dont find something on the north side of the border.
This sounds like a good option. Will I need any paperwork for the truck crossing the border? My research says no, but first time for me crossing this border in a vehicle.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29andSingle View Post
This sounds like a good option. Will I need any paperwork for the truck crossing the border? My research says no, but first time for me crossing this border in a vehicle.
Nope, just your normal registration if you get stopped for any reason. However, since you are taking your truck across the border, it is a good idea to at least get Mexican liability insurance for the truck. Any fender bender will by default be your fault if you don't have it. You can buy it at the gas station right before you cross, or just get it online from Baja Bound. FWIW, I don't cross the border without Mexican liability insurance.

Once a city bus in Ensenada made contact with my passenger side mirror, no damage to my truck or the bus, but any vehicle contact at all requires that you stop and call 066 (the number for the cops) The cops were all ready to try shake me down (good luck to them) and say it was my fault, until I showed them the insurance, and got out my phone to call the number on the form. They quickly told me to move along and have a nice day.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 09:11 AM
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
29andSingle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Was just thinking about the insurance. Was planning on it for the bikes. Sounds like I would need additional policy on the truck. Thanks again for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Nope, just your normal registration if you get stopped for any reason. However, since you are taking your truck across the border, it is a good idea to at least get Mexican liability insurance for the truck. Any fender bender will by default be your fault if you don't have it. You can buy it at the gas station right before you cross, or just get it online from Baja Bound. FWIW, I don't cross the border without Mexican liability insurance.

Once a city bus in Ensenada made contact with my passenger side mirror, no damage to my truck or the bus, but any vehicle contact at all requires that you stop and call 066 (the number for the cops) The cops were all ready to try shake me down (good luck to them) and say it was my fault, until I showed them the insurance, and got out my phone to call the number on the form. They quickly told me to move along and have a nice day.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29andSingle View Post
Was just thinking about the insurance. Was planning on it for the bikes. Sounds like I would need additional policy on the truck. Thanks again for the info.

If I'm going to be mostly off road, (which is almost always the case when I go to Baja) I dont worry about it for the bike since I won't be sharing the road with any vehicles to speak of for the most part. YMMV.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Storage

If you cross at Calexico/Mexacali Theres a storage yard on the right side just before the border, 3 bucks a day last time i was there, also the Quality inn Calexico will let you store the truck for 5 bucks a day, Leaving the truck on the US side also makes easier crossing back to the US for you, as bikes go to the head of the line.
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
29andSingle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
If you cross at Calexico/Mexacali Theres a storage yard on the right side just before the border, 3 bucks a day last time i was there, also the Quality inn Calexico will let you store the truck for 5 bucks a day, Leaving the truck on the US side also makes easier crossing back to the US for you, as bikes go to the head of the line.
This looks like a good option. Prefer to leave on the US side to avoid the insurance issues. Already buying three moto policies. Would prefer not having to buy additional insurance on the truck just to leave it parked for a week in Mex.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Algodones

Actually if I were you coming from Co I would really think about Yuma/Algodones crossing, Theres a parking lot right at the border, and as soon as you cross the Customs and Banjercito is on your right. Easy to get down to San Felipe 1st day. assuming you guys are riding dirt?
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote