User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 807
Battlefield 1000 prep ride for Bike week aka Bobby Ginger tries a SaddleSore

A few years ago prior to having a touring machine, I was on a project with crazy Irish guy talking about riding nonstop for two weeks. My first reaction was this guy is nuts! After some research I decided the shorter rides might be something I was interested in. Said Irish guy goes on to place third in the rally in 2011. Anyways flash forward a few year and add a GSA, and I am ready to go. Initially I wanted to ride the Battlefield as part of the IBA bike week party but work got in the way. When I discussed this with the organizer he gave me the option to do a test ride as long as I would report back. Well here is the reporting. This long distance noob is getting an education. I spent tonight playing with my GPS and I think I have my route set including Ethanol free gas stops. Baring unforeseen circumstances Bobby Ginger don’t put no alcohol in his bikes.
The plan is to leave Jacksonville from my place around 2-3 in the morning. I am choosing to leave early because I would like to get as many dark miles out of the way in the beginning of the ride. Depending on my time I would like to finish my ride at the CADS meeting on Wednesday night around 8. This is extremely tentative, I will not push past my limits and will stop and sleep if need be. So far I have two 1.5 liters bottles of water, a couple 5 five hours, and a handful of power bars. Just running the tank bag, I do not see a reason for the panniers. I plan on wearing my heavy waterproof over pants because they actually make my seat pretty comfortable, and a jacket with a high-vis vest. I have a cheap helmet so will probably have plugs in most of the ride. Tomorrow I am going to focus on getting well hydrated.
Concerns:
First long ride
Forgetting to take a picture at a check point
Listening to my body and not pushing too hard
Getting totally addicted to this crazy challenge.

Some people go skydiving before they turn 30, I have chosen motorcycles. This week is the long ride; next week is off road rally across Florida.

Bobby Ginger screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 02:08 PM
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

pre-ride jitters

All packed up and clothes laid out. The doggies have a sitter and I think I am ready. Decided after all to bring the panniers. Bringing a water proof shell just in case and my liner for the morning. Shifted the water to the side case so I do not have to worry about ruining the camera. Revellie is is at two, so I am turning in soon. More to follow tomorrow...

Things added for the trip

Tooth brush
Lends cleaner
Waterproof shell
Jacket liner
Oil
Air gauge

Bobby Ginger screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 02:08 PM
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Talking Finished!

The quick and dirty

I did it! Unofficailly 19.5 hours and 1130 miles.
I backtracked 3 times.
I took one tank bag nap
I only told three people they were #1
I saw 11 deer
I drop a pannier on the highway, later recvered
I had three mojo bars, 1.5 liters of water, two sanwhichs, and 3 5 hours
I even saw Papa and Moma Ginger

More to follow after some sleep.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Rr

The day started as planned, I listened to my alarm for a few rounds before I woke up.
2 am was too early to be excited about riding, and this is how that looks

I get to my station to fill up and start the ride, after filling up I pull to the front spot. I parked next to a unmarked police car. When I was getting ready to go another cop pulls up in an unmarked police car in an aggressive manner. He gets out and ask me if I was pulled over, I say no and then he proceeds to tell me that the GSA is going to be his new bike. I like to talk to new people and even more about motorcycles but, I did not have time for this. He wants to know how I like the bike and blah blah blah, finally I get started!

I found out after the ride that I had my cameras on the wrong setting. The exposure was for too long and made one good photo and many bad ones, more on that to follow.

First checkpoint, it is still early but I am happy the GPS track is working.

Second check point, nothing interesting here but there were a few monuments so it took a few minutes to find the right one.

Wrong setting , but the sun is starting to come up.

It was a little tricky to find this on in the dark but not worries, starting to roll now

I have fond memories of fishing trips in Okeechobee when I was a kid. I enjoyed this part of the ride even though it was in the dark.

I find the first fill up, get 6 gallons of the good stuff and then the machine will not give me a receipt .
I go inside to get the actual receipt, but the attendant tells me that she cannot retrieve since someone else is filling up. All the fisherman are lining up to put ethnol free in their boat and I am feeling screwed.

I did not have a contingency plan for this, so I am a little lost. I decide the best plan is to get a splash at another gas station and keep that receipt.

Bobby Ginger screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 10:00 AM
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

rr2

The sun is up and I am happy, and then suddenly sleepy , not good only a few hours into it and I cannot be this tired already. I am doing the head bob and after five minutes I cannot shake it off. I stop at a filling station and take a tank bag nap. After 20 minutes I am feeling good and off I go. I was tired and my energy zapped at points in the trip but this was the only time I actually felt sleepy.

Here we go some good views and nice weather

Orange trees! This ride is sweet!

I have no idea what is going on here, I passed this guy and had to slow down for a picture.

Next battlefield, when I pulled in they were doing some sort of festival. I cannot find the monument and they want to charge me to get into the park. The elderly man is understanding and does not charge me to snap a picture.

At some point I start checking my gear. My tank bag is open, I hope nothing fell out . Well crap my flag is gone, so I make a new one.

Feeling pretty well, the bike is performing flawlessly, and making all the checkpoints

Harley guy enjoying the day

Favorite battlefield of the day

and second best pic

Hey can I ask you a question? says random guy at this check point.

You just did!

So I switched to BMW a few years ago and I find myself riding alone...

Get to the point!

Well all my frinds want to go to rallies...

Well sure if you want to drink beer and talk about riding, I want to ride!

So i was actually prety nice, but explained what I was doing and he went along his way

Bobby Ginger screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 10:00 AM
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

rr3

So in lake city my GPS does not want me to get to the next battlefield. One of the things I learned for my next trip is to map out the trip on paper. i find the place on my cell and I am off.

I leave lake city and decied that I am not making the CADS meeting and since my parents live 2 miles off of I75 so I stop by. Momma and Papa Ginger are happy to see me and make me a delicious sandwich. I take off reenergized and encouraged. I get some earplugs since I forgot mine. I also barrow long jon top, the sun has not been out in a while and I am getting cool. My ears were ringing bad, glad I picked up the plugs

On another 30 miles to a rest stop and another battlefield

Jimmy Carter park, famous Georgia boy

Hands down best part of the trip, back country in GA

I know my fuel strip is off but and my gauge tells me I am at zero, my GPS tells me I have 66 miles to go. I guess I was pushing it becaue the GSA takes 8.7 gallons

OPPS! just made it!

I am really pushing to make it to the last battlefield before sundown but I am enjoying the views

Oh no, what was that? Somthing is wrong! Is my engine overheating? Aw crap lost a pannier, oh man not good. I pull over and see a chevy sidways. Was that because he was avoiding my bag? Oh no, well he comes up and gives me my bag and with a smile tells me it should be more secure. That bag is a tank, because I cannot find damage when dropped going...well lets just say in excess of 70 mph.

I am so sore now, my neck is tight making head checks tough. My saddle is sore, my hands are cramping, and my feet are numb from vibration.

I am getting rewarded with these views

Sweet, last battlefield. I put on another layer up top and an extra pair of socks. Time to get home.

So due to my poor camera setting I get this amazing(IMO) shot, pretty cool.

The last stretch was tough, I was tired sore and ready to be off that motorcycle. I had to tell a few people they were number one for being left lane losers

I want to pull off on to 17 but Bobby Ginger's GF and puppies are waiting with promise of pizza and beer.

Face of acomplishment

Bobby Ginger screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 02:19 PM
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Take aways and advice

More clothes is better, just in case
Map out the route on paper
Try to get full pics of the monuments so you know were to go when you get there
When somthing is key to the ride/event pack two
Try to pay attention even more when off the bike

Edge traps

Just south of Jacksonville construcion and uneven road
Just below Georgia line on 75
Just south of the Jimmy Carter Check point

Deer
Six south of Jax on 95
4 on 16 just before 95
One on 95 just after 16
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,555
congrats n well done!

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
NotAFullDeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Nice pics. i bet i'm not the only one who didnt bother to read the dark text on the dark background though
NotAFullDeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAFullDeck View Post
Nice pics. i bet i'm not the only one who didnt bother to read the dark text on the dark background though
I think it is an issue on cetrain computers/browsers, I can read it fine, but I will change it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Missed pics

route

Wahoo Swamp