User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,087
I agree With Jim....

Liz how do you know so much about this obscure sh!t.....

I'm equally amazed

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Liz - This is brilliant! Thanks so much.

I think I'm going to throw down for a hot air welder from HF. I can probably also use it to repair some of the brittle fairing panels on my GTS should such become necessary.

Will post pics and let you know how I get on of course.

Cheers!
Slart
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,500
Huge hijack ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Liz,

Every time you post you impress me more and more! Great info!

Jim
Jim, hi!

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. That means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
I agree With Jim....

Liz how do you know so much about this obscure sh!t.....

I'm equally amazed

sdpc2, Hi!

Oh gosh, let's see, it's partly in the genes, I think.

Short story is my dad was in the car business, me being the oldest of all girls, it was me who he took into the shop to help out. Believe it or not, at 12 I was sanding cars in the body shop.

My grandfather started the business, as one of the first Ford dealers in New England in 1922. When he passed away in the 1950's, my dad took it over. Unfortunately Ford closed the doors for him in the 1970's when the energy crisis hit and Ford closed 3200 other small dealerships. But I grew up around cars and bikes and snowmobiles.

In my adult life, somewhere along the way in the 1980's, the opportunity creeped up for me to drive a Porsche on the track. Over time my driving skills sorted themselves out, with me being faster than most of the men on the track. That led to someone approaching me about driving a rally car, and one thing happened after another, with me ultimately racing pro rally cars for a dozen years, winning US National Championships, Canadian National Championships, North American Championships, Regional and Provincial Championships, and setting records at the Mount Washington Hill Climb. All those were regular championships, not gender specific.

VW became my behind the scenes sponsor, and my biggest sponsor was myself. As you may or may not know, back then I had my own CPA office, with staff, and lots of clients. And you know, even racers need their taxes done. So at the time, I got tax work out of the racing too.

But where I learned most everything was after the first couple of times at the track with the Porsche, when I came home and the car needed a bit of work, like tires swapped, or tune up, or whatever. Sending it out to the mechanics after every race became costly.

My first move was to trade a bunch of a clients tax work for a Snap-On top box, then reading, reading everything I could get my hands on, and this was before the internet. Once I started racing rally cars, next was an F250 tow vehicle, two car trailer, tire changer, compressor, bead blaster, parts washer, etc, etc. There were a couple of guys who loved going to the rallies with me, and loved working on the cars. We did it together.

I learned pretty early on that I would never be able to get pregnant due to some medical issues when I was young, and that was okay. So instead of having a family, I had a business and a team.

If you look at my little photo in my profile, not the one of me in my leather dress, but the one in front of the car, you'll see one of my rally cars, and one of the bicycles. That was taken when the Boston Globe had come up here to do a feature article about me being the only person to race up Mount Washington by foot, by bicycle, and by car, in the same year. I was in better shape back then.

My rally world ended in the early 2000's and motorcycles came back into my life more.

Here's a bit more history, from when someone was picking on me about my rally lights on my GS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=148

So to finish with how I learned all this stuff, it's mostly been out of necessity, and enjoying being hands on.

I married late in life, and subsequently went through a horrific 9 year long divorce, in which my lifestyle was turned upside down, and I had to give up my business, most of the properties, and had to file bankruptcy to pay off my ex's debt. So now, my world is more austere, and instead of buying new parts, I fix what I have.

One of the skills I learned from my dad was " ... don't be afraid ... figure it out and make it work ... " and the skills I learned from rally racing give me the confidence to do things like redo Hall Effect Sensors, and weld plastic.

One other thing from rallying that I learned is to not be afraid. When you're sliding sideways at 100mph on ice and snow, with trees four feet on either side of you, fear isn't what you need, it's finesse and confidence.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Slart. Mostly, I don't speak up about how to fix bikes, because most times there are a lot of people on here who do know, and they would say things that I would probably say anyway. But with your fixing the plastic, it seemed like it was time to help out. ADV is truly a man's world, and I'm sort of out of place, so I pick my posts carefully.

Does that help explain?

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Hope you don't mind me suggesting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Liz - This is brilliant! Thanks so much.

I think I'm going to throw down for a hot air welder from HF. I can probably also use it to repair some of the brittle fairing panels on my GTS should such become necessary.

Will post pics and let you know how I get on of course.

Cheers!
Slart

Slart, hi!

You're so welcome!

Getting the welder from HF totally makes sense. As is common, you'll probably find a lot of things that you can fix with it, that you never thought of.

For what it's worth, you might want to get a book on fixing plastic. I confess, that's where I learned. Let me see if I can find the book I have.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Repair-Pla.../dp/1884313809

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/books/...rk-2nd-edition

Please do let us know how it goes.

Enjoy,

Liz
Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

MsLiz was absolutely right (of course). The seat base is indeed marked to indicate polypropylene with 20% talc

I picked up a HF plastic welder and a burr for my Dremel

Had a bit of practice on an old steering column shroud - with mixed results. I think the welding was ok but the shroud was so brittle it was cracking in new places faster than I could weld it up.

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:23 PM
Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

I cut a 'V' groove along the line of the split and went to work - first welding the inside, then grooving and welding from the outside

Finished off by grooving out the remaining deep cuts on the inside (that had not split yet), welding those up then dremeling away the raised weld

I can't say I'm terribly proud of the weld quality - but for a first attempt, I'm reasonably happy. It seems like it's going to do the trick.
Now on to the seat installation - at last!

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:23 PM
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Synisalo
Adventure wannabe

Oddometer: 103
Dont be too hard on yourself... that looks like a pretty damned good weld period, not just for the first try!

---------------------------------------------------

I often wonder why I am still alive with all the dumb things I have done... Then logic gets the better of me, and I wonder why I am not dead.
Synisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Yay!

Did the original plastic melt enough to blend with the new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I cut a 'V' groove along the line of the split and went to work - first welding the inside, then grooving and welding from the outside

Finished off by grooving out the remaining deep cuts on the inside (that had not split yet), welding those up then dremeling away the raised weld

I can't say I'm terribly proud of the weld quality - but for a first attempt, I'm reasonably happy. It seems like it's going to do the trick.
Now on to the seat installation - at last!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

There was no sign of weakness at the weld while I was fighting with the cover - and short of impact in a wreck, I can't see how the sides ofthe seat would ever be subject to more abuse. I had to warm the cover up a bit to get the final stretch applied.

And voila! Here it is fitted - showing about the same height as stock (next pic). In my unscientific 2-minute sit, it seems more comfortable and supportive than stock but not as firm as the Corbin. Fortunately it's nowhere near as heavy as the corbin either, although noticeably heavier than stock. It's also noticeably higher at the front so I will probably remove the 3/8" stand-off I fitted ages ago to raise the front of the stock seat a bit.

I haven't finished stapling down the corners of the cover yet and I expect the slight wrinkle will go away once things bed in and it sits in the sun once or twice (that's what happened when I did the stock cover). Pleased that the color matches the pillion seat so well, although I'll probably install the new cover that came with the front seat.

Here's the old seat for comparison - which I re-covered with some heavy grade marine vinyl about 9 years ago.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Looks good!

Why yellow?

Jim

PS Definitely recover the rear so the seams match!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #26
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Looks good!

Why yellow?

Jim

PS Definitely recover the rear so the seams match!
9 years ago, the original cover was split and I just wanted something to keep the water out before a trip. The local fabric store had several yard off the end of a roll of heavy duty vinyl for just a few bucks - It just happened to be yellow (I think the other choice was purple metalflake). I meant to replace the cover with black but the yellow just sort of grew on me.

When I placed the order with Seat Concepts, I didn't know they were going to send a passenger seat cover too so I sent them a pic and asked for a similar yellow in any combo (i.e yellow top, black sides, vice-versa, or all yellow.) This is what they sent.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Question seat pan curvature?

So how does the seat fit next to the tank? My seat fit nice and close to the tank until I got a Bill Mayer Saddle put onto my OEM seat pan. Now it bows out horribly on the right side and too far on the left side, too -- it has big gaps between the seat and tank.

I've tried a heat gun and heavy straps to "pull/squeeze" it into shape (both on and off the bike) to no avail. It's irritating on the knees. No, BMS doesn't want to do anything about it or hear about it - been there, done that - just got blown off when I told them about it. " Bad BMW seat pan, yada yada yada." I love the saddle, except for the shape around the tank.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
So how does the seat fit next to the tank? My seat fit nice and close to the tank until I got a Bill Mayer Saddle put onto my OEM seat pan. Now it bows out horribly on the right side and too far on the left side, too -- it has big gaps between the seat and tank.

I've tried a heat gun and heavy straps to "pull/squeeze" it into shape (both on and off the bike) to no avail. It's irritating on the knees. No, BMS doesn't want to do anything about it or hear about it - been there, done that - just got blown off when I told them about it. " Bad BMW seat pan, yada yada yada." I love the saddle, except for the shape around the tank.
Sounds like a cover installation issue. They pulled the cover on too tight and bowed the seat pan. Likely Slart didn't get his that tight. I know I didn't when I installed mine. It fits just like stock.

Nice and snug.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #29
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Finally got to put a few miles on the new seat yesterday. It's a bit tough to say how it would do on a 500-mile+ day (I hope to find out in a few weeks) but in the couple of hours I sat on it yesterday I noticed nothing - and that's a good thing! It's definitely more comfortable than the Corbin and does not make it so hard to get my feet down. Friends noticed the seat, and commented on its good looks.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
Yay!

Did the original plastic melt enough to blend with the new?

It certainly seemed to. There was no sign of any weakness along the old split when I was fighting with the seat cover. It will obviously take quite a bit more practice before I can get the settings and motion for the welder just right so that the base material and welding rod melt just enough but not too much.