Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanjnc View Post
After a few days of preparation, I was ready.
Geared up, started the GS, and put in the GPS coordinates. I was off!
GPS showed 3.1 miles, so I planned a 15 minute (in town) traffic, with perhaps a brief stop at the post office to check the mail.
Made starbucks on Peace street in 11 minutes!! WOO HOO!!
A good Americano (venti of course) , and I started out for home.
The GSA (with full panniers and pillion case of course) performed perfectly!

starbucks in 11 min? you live in the middle of nowhere?
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
starbucks in 11 min? you live in the middle of nowhere?
He said he was testing out the gear, so he probably took the long way there.

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
I'm sorry for those of you from Ohio, all of the signs here say aviation started here
Aye, but they think they have good BBQ in NC too.

When the Bishop's boys were done there, they packed up and went back to Ohio for the debrief and product improvement.

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Always good to get a "shakedown ride" in before venturing on into the next town.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
motoree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Gear

I was wondering how the gear performed during the trip and how they held up.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
After a few days of preparation, I was ready.
Geared up, started the GS, and put in the GPS coordinates. I was off!
GPS showed 3.1 miles, so I planned a 15 minute (in town) traffic, with perhaps a brief stop at the post office to check the mail.
Made starbucks on Peace street in 11 minutes!! WOO HOO!!
A good Americano (venti of course) , and I started out for home.
The GSA (with full panniers and pillion case of course) performed perfectly!

Too much honesty and self effacing humor, didn't read.

OK, I read it after all.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Alanjnc OP
AlanjNC

Oddometer: 38
So, cooking report:
with a bottle of heat, a $5 military mess kit, some eBay titanium utensils (seriously, you can buy titanium, or not.....how can one NOT buy freaking titanium utensils??? Cool!) A alcohol stove from a inmate (who, after I bought it, slammed GS riders as snobs, if i didn't love the stove, I'd send it back!! JK), and basic "food in a can", you can easily do all of this for $40. Sweet. , food, fuel, utensils, stove, etc, = 3 pounds.
Tech stuff: with a hot spot (referred to it as a wet spot once to my receptionist, got "the look"), an iPhone, and and iPad,you can write (and now i notice, I didn't do to much of that; hey, I also "tested" the wine in a box!, 3 glasses for 3.99, and it isn't swill.), I found you can be posting in tapatalk and take a photo and post, or, use apple's very cool adapter so you can stick the SD card right in (from my 35mm DSLR) and move the photos to the 'pad from there.....VERY fast.
As I have just left corporate life (bear with me here, logic involved), I am reprogramming my brain from "Hilton points, and this is how I would like my omelet" to "what can I get in my panniers and pillion....."
As I left Raleigh (my home) on this trip, and the first one overnight on a bike in a loooooooong time, I noticed my brain going to "well you didn't friggin' bring it, so we don't have it, so get over it" to "you don't need all that crap anyway" and I relaxed. Yes, relaxed, been a business owner for a long time.....
THEN i started thinking: "why did you put the HEAT, your food, and the lighters in the LEFT pannier, next to the exhaust??" which rhymes with "How hot is 'this case may get warm' hot???" Turns out, not "ignition" warm....It also occurred to me i forgot my tiny humidor (not on the list, WTH??) and heaven prevailed and delivered me to a "tobacconist" in Kill Devil hills, who, strangely, mainly sold tall glassware and rubber hoses....odd...
clothtes stuff: In 50 degrees (overcast) Rallye2 jacket did an excellent job of freezing my ass off, even over my $3 flea market military black fleece which was over my compression shirt I am loath to wear in public as my six pack abs, well, aren't; so I added my Belstaff rain jacket and (other than feeling like I was running away from home wearing 3 coats) all was well.
GSA gets 35 MPG at sea level??? WTH??
Garmin 1350 ( or 1390, to lazy to get up and go look) is a great bike GPS....baggies if it rains. Or just put it away and read the signs the state puts up....)
NEED a tank bag for instant reaches (camera, water...) I honestly thought about trying to open the pillon case at highway speeds....I didn't say I DID it, I THOUGHT about it. (which is how many ER visits happen..... :-)
Need better (i.e. warmer) rain pants.....civi pants don't cut it. Want, no, NEED Sidi adventure boots. The front wheel on the GS funnels water like a supersoaker at each of your feet in highly symmetrical proportions (sneaky Germans) if you space out raising them....
KAOKO throttle lock is divine. How in Hades do people ride without them??
I read an inmates post re: straps v.s. bungees and I thought "woo hoo!! off to the store to buy stuff!!". Turns out REI has very nice, these red ones are 1"x48" premade straps 2 for $8....i could drive around a long time and eff up some stuff for that price....done.
MT 2013!!!

Alanjnc screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 04:02 PM
Alanjnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Alanjnc OP
AlanjNC

Oddometer: 38
either antihero, or gp1152 ( i think) said it best, "the hardest part of any trip is walking out the door"