ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
NC....info

So, my daughter has had enough Vermont winters and is thinking of moving south. What can you kind inmates tell me about the general vicinity of Raleigh NC? Things to do, places to live and work? She's 25, with a degree in environmental science. She's up for an adventure/change and as a dad, I'm just doing some advance scouting. The only thing I know of NC is from a trip to the outer banks. Fill me in!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
So, my daughter has had enough Vermont winters and is thinking of moving south. What can you kind inmates tell me about the general vicinity of Raleigh NC? Things to do, places to live and work? She's 25, with a degree in environmental science. She's up for an adventure/change and as a dad, I'm just doing some advance scouting. The only thing I know of NC is from a trip to the outer banks. Fill me in!
The triangle is one of the most educated metro areas in the Country (Was ranked 2nd, last I checked) in both terms of number of BA/BS degrees and MA/PHD/Professional degrees. Probably less than half of those in the area are NC natives, most of the outsiders are northern transplants.

Unfortunately, our legislature has taken a hard turn for the derp side since our new Governor was inaugurated. The Gov. isn't exactly a peach, either. I haven't a clue what one does with a degree in environmental science, I'd think the job is the first thing to line up, but that's up to her. The new government isn't likely to be too favorable to that kind of stuff, unless she's of the "dumping chemicals in rivers hurts no one" or "Climate change won't affect NC coasts" camps.

Depending on job location, there are several places to live with different feels - Durham and Raleigh in particular are pretty different in terms of night life, but neither is that bad, unless you're used to a place like Chicago or New York.

Stay out of Chapel Hill/Carrboro unless you're an undergrad/grad student, sleeping with a student, or deranged.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
TanasiRob
Squid Emeritus

Oddometer: 947
Environmental Science is kind of a broad spectrum.....

My take on Raleigh was that it is a transient location with little or no love...
Lots of corporate jobs =transient as typically corporate turn over is 4-5 years.
Lots of College kids - also transient.

Durham is highly populated with lower income.
Raleigh is where people go to work (blue collar)
the RTP is where people go to work (white collar)
Chapel Hill is where the college kids go to get into trouble and the cost of living is not justifiable unless being surrounded by HOA rules turns you on.
Cary is even worse than Chapel Hill with less college kids.

and they all suffer from an ugly North Carolina tax structure.

I have often said that North Carolina would be much better off if we could somehow push everything east of Greensboro back into the ocean.

She will probably miss the mountains- so have her look to western NC especially with her educational background.

Blowing Rock NC
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,527
Western NC is amazing and if she can find a job she will fit in better here than the eastern part. We moved down here (to the eastern NC) about a year ago and moved to the western part of the state Jan 1 2013. Until we moved west I had my heart set on returning to New England.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,428
I've been in Raleigh for about 25+ years and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. However, I have zero intention of discussing it with some of the folks who've posted above as it seems like it would certainly deteriorate into something I have zero interest in partaking in.

That said, if you tend to think Bernie Sanders has it right, ignore anything I have to say.

Feel free to contact me via PM.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
DEPARKER1817
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
I think she would like Asheville. I live in the Triad (Winston Salem, High Point and Greensboro) and it is not bad. Bout an hour to the mountains and 3 hours to the coast. Raleigh is great, just a little to far from the mountains for me, might not be an issue for her.
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies! Just like here, views are all over the place on what it's like there. My kids trying to plan her adventure. No bike, but an adventure just the same. Dad (me) is just trying to give her the best shot of succcess that I can. Vermont's a great place but job opportunities are very limited, winters are long and excitement is rare. Her plan is to find a safe place to live, find a job, and move up the ladder.she's saved some money so she has a cushion. She feels like if she doesn't do this, she'll be stuck here forever. I told her she sounds like half the guys on here.
More info, good or bad is always welcome!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
NC BMW Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I lived in Raleigh for almost 30 years and saw it go from a nice little city to more of a metropolos (to those local to the area I moved there when Kildaire Farm Road in Cary was 2 lane and Kildaire Farms was still there).
There are a lot of job opportunities in the triangle. Raleigh is good and she may want to try the EPA in the Research Triangle Park with her degree.

I'm not a fan of Chapel Hill, but for a young person it can be a fun place to live if you can afford it.

Other areas to consider in North Carolina are the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro area), Asheville, or if she likes a really big city Charlotte. If she likes the beach look at Wilmington.

Overall, NC is a nice place to live although the taxes are a little high.
NC BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
asheville is hard to beat! if she wants to come check it out, my wife and i would be glad to show her around.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Go ahead and beat me up but I say ditch NC and look into DC, good jobs, nice weather, mtns an hour to the west, ocean an hour to the east, lively nite life

Traffic sucks but you learn to deal with it
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,428
After growing up in the DC area, I learned to deal with the traffic by moving to NC.

When I was there, Haymarket was absolutely NOT considered a DC suburb.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
late-apex
XR650L

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob578 View Post
Go ahead and beat me up but I say ditch NC and look into DC, good jobs, nice weather, mtns an hour to the west, ocean an hour to the east, lively nite life

Traffic sucks but you learn to deal with it
Ewww, DC, the worse part about being a trucker driving up and down I-95 is dealing with DC traffic and the incredibly moronic drivers.
late-apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
I agree with some that's said above.
I moved down here in 2003 from Va because I had a choice of unemployment, here or San Jose, Ca. with no pay increase. (I had basically lived in a hotel down here for the 2 years prior)

Since then I've grown to love it. There are definite downsides, but that's true anywhere. A LOT has improved in the area for 20 somethings to do. Both activity wise and "night life" downtown.

There are jobs, but given the economy everywhere, there are not a plethora of jobs. If she wants to head south, it might be smart to try and do one of the extended suites or a furnished apartment for a few months till she figures out where to live. Depending on her personality etc there really are VERY different attitudes in the "triangle" area. I'd avoid the southern side of town to avoid the toll road. But that's cause I'm cheap.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Do you have any more info on the extended suites? Good idea for the first month or so. She's determined NC is where's she's headed. I appreciate all the info, good and bad. DC? You have to be a special sort to deal with that traffic.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Depends on the lifestyle she wants. Most people from the north are more comfortable with the urban environments and look mainly at the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham vicinity or Charlotte. Fast paced and vibrant communities with unmatched economic opportunities and "plenty of action".

Asheville region is great; also sorta fast growing and quite vibrant with lots to recommend for a younger person (or a retiree!). Another possibility is the coastal region of Wilmington if she might prefer the ocean lifestyle rather than the mountains. Both have a lot to offer and are more "laid back" than the urban centers. Throwing a dart at a map I'd choose one of these as a place I'd want to live long term for quality of life overall.

Greensboro / Winston-Salem is the other semi-major region. Been here over 40 years and still can't figure out what the heck is going on around here.

NC is a decent place as far as quality of life and weather. My niece moved to Cary "blindly" 5 yrs ago from NJ, found a job in less than a month and just bought a place of her own. Hopefully your daughter ill also like it.

PM if you want anything.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote