ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by late-apex View Post
Ewww, DC, the worse part about being a trucker driving up and down I-95 is dealing with DC traffic and the incredibly moronic drivers.
You're right The truckers don't get a lot of love around here
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
concord concours
n00b

Oddometer: 2
moved to Charlotte area 16 years ago from western new york. 2 regrets are I wish I would have checked out Greenville SC. and wish I would have
moved 20 years sooner but it all worked out and we are happy
concord concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Here's a deal...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
The triangle is one of the most educated metro areas in the Country (Was ranked 2nd, last I checked) in both terms of number of BA/BS degrees and MA/PHD/Professional degrees. Probably less than half of those in the area are NC natives, most of the outsiders are northern transplants.

Unfortunately, our legislature has taken a hard turn for the derp side since our new Governor was inaugurated. The Gov. isn't exactly a peach, either. I haven't a clue what one does with a degree in environmental science, I'd think the job is the first thing to line up, but that's up to her. The new government isn't likely to be too favorable to that kind of stuff, unless she's of the "dumping chemicals in rivers hurts no one" or "Climate change won't affect NC coasts" camps.

Depending on job location, there are several places to live with different feels - Durham and Raleigh in particular are pretty different in terms of night life, but neither is that bad, unless you're used to a place like Chicago or New York.

Stay out of Chapel Hill/Carrboro unless you're an undergrad/grad student, sleeping with a student, or deranged.

You send your daughter down here to NC, we will send phork to vermont
and give you an option at a later date..........
Assuming your daughter has a better attitude than this guy.........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I appreciate all the help! Makes dad feel a litlle better about sending the kid off to seek her fortune! She has more adventurous spirit than I did at her age. Don't be sending anybodyy to Vermont...we have half of NJ here already
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
I appreciate all the help! Makes dad feel a litlle better about sending the kid off to seek her fortune! She has more adventurous spirit than I did at her age. Don't be sending anybodyy to Vermont...we have half of NJ here already
Can we send the other half of NJ back up that way?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Can we send the other half of NJ back up that way?

Teach them to drive in snow and we'll consider it!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
...we have half of NJ here already
And we have half of NY here...

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Triangle Area NC = "Promised Land"

I have been moving back and forth from Atlanta, GA to Raleigh for over 10 years. Raleigh is finally home and my family couldn't be happier. I refer to the area as the "Promised Land".
I have lived in many states including Wyoming, Florida, Georgia and now North Carolina. While Wyoming would always my first choice to live, North Carolina is ideal for opportunities.
Feel free to send me a PM with other Q's.
mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
T3/T4 Hybrid
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 71
I've been an NC resident for the last 25 years and could not be happier with my choice. It has the good and bad like a lot of states but I feel the good out weights the bad. Im in the Charlotte area but have family outside of Raleigh in Mebane so I visit it now and then through the year.

Just remind your daughter to lock her stuff up or it will grow feet and walk away.

A little street smarts will go a long ways.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Alanjnc
AlanjNC

Oddometer: 38
I enjoy Raleigh; have lived here (and elsewhere in NC), originally from MT, for approx 14 years. I have some rental properties here and owned a business, so I get to see most of the spectrum of people, and those claiming to be.
Crime is very area specific (though that is changing with the times....) but overall safe. Economically very stable..always something to do, and just a few hours from "different" i.e. mountains (well, eastern USA mountains... ;) or the ocean.
It seems people who want to work, find work, and those that don't, say there isn't any work.....
She could do worse. My wife has a realtor license as well, and there are MANY good rental options....location is king for convenience and safety.
PM me any questions, happy to help in any way!
alan
Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #26
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Many thanks for all the great replies. She's job hunting at the moment and as it gets more specific, I'll have better questions. She's been amazed at how helpful everyone has been. I told her bikers are great people , just stay out of the basement I'm envious of your weather as we're 2 months away from riding yet!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #27
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
And we have half of NY here...
We have a third of Florida in WNC. Including me. I'm originally from New York so I'm considered a half-back.

If she likes outdoor activites, the western part of the state is great. We have lots of forests for hiking, climbing, mountain biking and paddling plus mediocre skiing on snow made mostly from stagnant water during the season we call "winter".

I know a few people with environmental degrees. The lucky ones are working with conservation groups for almost enough to live on. The not-so-lucky ones are working at summer camps or guiding and finding whatever they can the other six months of the year. There is a lot of environment to protect here but that kind of work doesn't pay much. Combined with the elevated cost of living in Asheville and you should get the picture.

Does your daughter like beer? We have lots of breweries here and a couple of big ones opening in a year or two. I've been volunteering to take water samples from the French Broad River, an effort funded by the Sierra Nevada people. I'd imagine there might be positions available at one of the larger breweries for someone with her educational background.

I have a passing knowledge of the Raleigh area from 10 years ago. Much too rat-race for me, maybe not for your daughter. I've been in the mountains for 17 years and will milk billy goats with my teeth to stay here if I have to. I'm an architectural consultant and work from home so my employment is not geographically-dependent. When I moved here I could find work for half of what I was making in Florida. I got lucky. If you have a job that requires a lot of air travel, this area will add a leg to whatever trip you're planning.

If I were just starting out, like a previous poster, I'd consider Greenville, South Carolina before the Raliegh area. You can combine better job opportunities with close proximity to the forested wonderland I just described.

If your daughter wants a more citified experience, she should look eastward.

Good luck

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #28
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,893
Yep. If I didn't need to earn a living, I'd be in western NC or SW VA in a heartbeat.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #29
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
i was raised in Nc. left in 76 and never looked back. eating and paying my bills are top priority for me and those two things got more difficult each day. all my family are still there so i am current with employment difficulties. did you know that over 50% of all military personnel are from NC? 1 state out of 50 provide 50% of the Military! good reason!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post

I know a few people with environmental degrees. The lucky ones are working with conservation groups for almost enough to live on. The not-so-lucky ones are working at summer camps or guiding and finding whatever they can the other six months of the year. There is a lot of environment to protect here but that kind of work doesn't pay much. Combined with the elevated cost of living in Asheville and you should get the picture.

Good luck
Well put. My wife has an advanced degree in Environmental Resource Management. She worked for NOAA & the National Marine Fisheries Project in DC. Loved the job; but not DC. She moved to the NC coast and found a job working for Retention Pond Services, helping them build a business plan that made them experts in Federal and State regulations for waste water run-off. As soon as she had made them compliant, she was fired. After working in a variety of other jobs in her field, she started working for Home Depot. Best thing she ever did. Stock options, matching 401K, health, dental and vision certainly add to the bottom line.

Like some have said, work is here; but the pay is not all that good. It takes some imagination and work to have the life you want.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote