User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
motocentaur OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Custom seat made: Bill "rocky" Mayers Saddles

Not sure if I should have posted this in the Garage or here, but since I'm always lurking on OC ...

http://billmayer-saddles.com/BMS/

Bill Mayer Saddles
3605-A Arundell Circle
Ventura, CA 93003
805-644-7216
email: billmayersaddles@msn.com

I got a '12 990 ADV and the original seat the bike came with was soft and comfortable with a suede top and vinyl sides. The problem for me was that is was just too narrow. Now the idea is that it's supposed to be narrow for off road use. You wanna be able to move around on the bike and not let the seat restrict your movements. The problem for me and narrow seats is that it creates pressure points, and gets uncomfortable in about 45 min. Of highway. So begins the chase of having a seat that performs well enough off road but will allow me to sit for 600-800 miles and not have monkey butt. I've looked at a bunch of other after market seats and while some look real promising they were all one size fits all. And all of them I was gonna need to modify to make it work. So why not just start with modifying the stocker.

An aftermarket seat will run you about $250-$500 and will be better than the stock seat, the pads like air hawk are nice when you are going straight, but sucks when you are making turns and maneuvering in anyway. They also add ride height that changes how you stand at stops and how your arm position is when reaching for your levers. It's the little things.

BMS charged me $559 for a vinyl seat minus a 15% off sale they were having, and I was able to be as picky as I wanted and appreciated my input as far as needs.

So I wanted a more bucket seat for long highway miles that was narrow enough for walking the bike through sand and firm enough for canyon carving. I also wanted the top to be as grippy as the suede but to hold up better. The sides just plain vinyl to make for easier leg movement. I also wanted a wider passenger seat with more cushion and a bit of a lip to keep the girl comfortable and help keep her from sliding forward.

My measurements are 5'11" and 210lbs

Here are some pics of their place, it's in Ventura, CA so a 350 mile ride from me. I left out there in the morning at about 2:30 and returned that same day. In hindsight I should have made a two day trip out of it to avoid ridding at night and to be able to enjoy riding in Cali a bit more. Also it fist come first serve of course so me being the last there meant I was there till closing.

The top is a real gritty like grip material like they use on rubber things to keep traction and the sides and smooth. The ride height is the same and feels like a bucket seat. It's defiantly firm and a bit stiff right now, it's supposed to have a 1000-1500 mile break-in so it it doesn't soften up more by then, I'll have them replace the foam when I'm back in Ventura in April. I just don't wanna be pissin blood after a bumpy road. Like I said, I'm picky about comfort/function and they accommodate that.

Now here are some side by side pics of the finished seat.

I wish I would have got some measurements before I did this, but its about 2" wider and about 1" taller for the pillion and about 5" wider for the rider

http://www.motocentaur.com/
Http://inkfx.biz

motocentaur screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 11:54 AM Reason: shitty gammer
motocentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,544
Give it time/miles to break in, mine took about a thousand miles. I only use it a few times a year but when I do it always feels great.
I have had several 500+ mile days and seat comfort was never the limiting factor

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
motocentaur OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Give it time/miles to break in, mine took about a thousand miles. I only use it a few times a year but when I do it always feels great.
I have had several 500+ mile days and seat comfort was never the limiting factor
Yeah it was a 350 mile trip back home and it felt more comfortable when I got home. I should be able to get 2k more miles on it before I get back to california, so I should know the extent of the break-in by then.

http://www.motocentaur.com/
Http://inkfx.biz
motocentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,325
Thanks for the info. Nice looking seat. I've tried a Seat Concepts, Corbin and Renazco so far. Something to think about in the future.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
maybilcatchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Good looking seat!
maybilcatchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
shoein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Any updates. I will be picking up an adventure soon and will need a seat that is comfortable for my wife that keeps her from sliding forward. I seem to get sore seat bones on every seat I have tried except for my russell day long on my wee strom.
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Creekside
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
shoein - Call around locally. I found a gal a few towns away that does seats for bikes for $100 to $150. New top, new foam, heated, whatever or just whittle some. A local person can hack away until its right. Rick's stuff is top notch but on a 990 and not some slabhauler you need to ride it not only on pavement but dirt too (ie standing leaning or on the back seat). I was going to get a rick knockoff lookalike but still thinking and figure I need more gravel and dirt time to design what I want first.
Creekside is offline   Reply With Quote