Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
beechhunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
School Me With Locked GPS.

I am in the market for a used GPS. Preferably along the lines of a Garmin 60CSX. I have seen several in the flea market and several on ebay in my price range. The confusing part for a GPS noob is the locked, unlocked, registered, and unregistered terminology. Some sellers use these terms while others do not. What does it mean and does it matter? I don't want to buy a unit I can't use to it's full potential. Pros , cons, advice and any other out of the way comments encouraged.

Thanks
beechhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
beechhunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

70 views and not a peep. Must be a slow night.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,512
I am another one of those views, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you show us an example?
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
Later versions of the majority of Garmins mapping software is "locked" to a single GPS.If you want to upgrade the maps you need to have the GPS unit registered in your name and have the mapping unlock code.
If you intend to buy all new mapping software,then the unlock is not necessary.

Prior to about 2008 you used to be able to use your mapping software on several units.
Older versions of Garmin software can still be used on multiple units.
There are other mapping programs out there that are not locked to any GPS.

If you buy a used GPS,make sure you at least get the prior owner to unregister it,otherwise you are stuck with whatever is on the unit and can't update or even install new maps,since Garmin thinks you don't own it.

Also,make sure you have the proper version maps for your unit,most of the newer popular Garmin units we use,use "NT"version maps.This is true of the Garmin 27-28xx series,Zumo 550 and 660/665,60-78 series and probably the Oregon/Montana series(although I have not used either of the latter).
If you intend to keep you GPS for any length of time,consider the "lifetime"version of the maps,if you buy from a number of online sources,it's not very pricey as compared to the one time version.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
beechhunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Something like this.

An example of the terminology is in the thread below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859838

My question I believe has been answered. Buying a GPS from eBay is almost certainly out of the question. As most sellers do not mention who the unit is registered to. Maybe stolen or they just don't know. A used unit could be a great bargain or a pain in the ass.I Might go with a new Montana from GPScity. They seem to have the best prices?

What is the consensus on the topo function? I do very little hiking in the back country. Is this option necessary for motorcycle travel off the beaten path or just a luxury. Is there a way to "turn off" the topo function? It seems I read something about the topo lines being obscure when zoomed in close.

Thanks for the replies and helping me. I don't want to get lost in the woods.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,863
Maybe talk about how you intend to use the unit a little, and based on that, people can suggest specific models. For example, if you want the ability to use audio turn-by-turn directions in order to follow a route that you have created, then that narrows things down a bit.
Smugmug 20% off: http://www.smugmug.com/signup/?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
beechhunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Intended use.

I am headed to AK this summer with my dad and brother. I would like to use software such as Base Camp to plan my route, then download to the GPS. I also plan to use GPX files graciously provided by fellow ADVriders to incorporate a back country experience as well. In addition, I plan to use some of the TCAT gpx files as well. That route looks like a damn good time and works with our general direction of travel. I want the unit to have enough storage to do the whole trip, without taking a laptop. I am not even sure if this is possible? Waterproof, bike powered, sunlight readable are a few features I want/need.

I have downloaded Base Camp just to start familiarization with the software. Of course I only have the base map that is included with the download. Which does not give much detail for planning. If I understand the software correctly, I can connect my GPS, when I buy one, via usb and the maps on the gps will transfer to Base Camp. Is this correct? Or should I purchase CN North America on DVD and then transfer maps to the unit?

I have transferred GPX files to Base Camp but can't tell much, as there is no detail.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechhunter View Post
I am headed to AK this summer with my dad and brother. I would like to use software such as Base Camp to plan my route, then download to the GPS. I also plan to use GPX files graciously provided by fellow ADVriders to incorporate a back country experience as well. In addition, I plan to use some of the TCAT gpx files as well. That route looks like a damn good time and works with our general direction of travel. I want the unit to have enough storage to do the whole trip, without taking a laptop. I am not even sure if this is possible? Waterproof, bike powered, sunlight readable are a few features I want/need.
IMO, assuming you want voice prompts with your routes, you're going to want either a Montana or a Zumo 660 (or 665). I believe either will do all you say above. You will probably want to break your route up into daily chunks.

I encourage you to look closely at the specifications tab for each on garmin.com. Here is a quick comparison, as well: http://www.gpscity.com/compare/zumo6...350lm&mont650t

The 350 is out for you because it doesn't allow for importing and viewing tracks.

The 660 has a few more road-oriented features than the Montana (see comparison) but the Montana is more custom configurable. I doubt you would be unhappy with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechhunter View Post
I have downloaded Base Camp just to start familiarization with the software. Of course I only have the base map that is included with the download. Which does not give much detail for planning. If I understand the software correctly, I can connect my GPS, when I buy one, via usb and the maps on the gps will transfer to Base Camp. Is this correct? Or should I purchase CN North America on DVD and then transfer maps to the unit?

I have transferred GPX files to Base Camp but can't tell much, as there is no detail.

Thanks
Connecting a GPS with maps on it will not cause those maps to transfer over to your PC, rather, BaseCamp will simply read them from the GPS across the USB cable.

I recommend purchasing maps on DVD and then installing them on both the PC and the GPS unit (and then buying "lifetime" updates if you are so inclined). This will allow for planning without having to connect the GPS unit, plus having the maps installed on the PC drive means faster access than having to go across a USB connection every time you move the map or zoom in, etc.

You can carry more maps and/or backups of routes or whatever on a micro SD card that both the Montana and Zumo GPS units accept.
Smugmug 20% off: http://www.smugmug.com/signup/?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote