Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Reedotus OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hurting 2005 GS - what to do? (Sorry long)

I have a 2005 GS that came to a really sad end, made worse by bad judgements by yers truly. It dropped an exhaust valve and I replaced the engine with a less-than-great one (ran great for 800 miles, now it smokes so badly they'd even pull me over in Peking). After that I meant to get serious and fix it - but I didn't. Eventually I couldn't stand it any longer, so I bought a 2011 GS demo. Now I am a happy camper, but with a nearly lifeless 2005 GS in my garage.

So what do I do?
(1) Sell it as is, who's gonna buy it?
(2) Throw rings in it and put it up for sale seems morally repugnant.
(3) Doing the whole engine as inexpensively as possible just to sell it would be a huge hassle and I'm pretty sure I have better things to do.
(4) Building the perfect beast (built engine by Max BMW, Jaracara bodywork, etc.): don't have the scratch, the desire comes and goes, and see (3)
(5) Part it out - sad for a bike that I toured the west on twice. Also I'm unsure about how to sell and how much money I'd make. And my shed is already full.
(6) and no, I'm not going to give it away.

Anyone been in a similar situation before? What would/did you do and how did it work? Please no offers right now can we talk in advice mode for a bit? Thanks in advance.
Reedotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,380
There is a guy here who parted his out for more than he could have sold it whole. Too bad I recently bought a nice 120K mile 05 R1200GS or I would be interested.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Reedotus OP
n00b

Thanks for the reply. Where did he offer the parts for sale? here? I'll troll through the for sale section to look at the activity. I was amazed how hard it was to find used GS parts on eBay.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Love for sale

Parting it out can be time consuming and a bit rewarding. There may be nearly as much labor in parting it out as you would feel you could have spent repairing it. You have to ask yourself if you're up for it.
You can sell it here as is. Think of how much you would ask for it in its present condition, without causing you to feel regret. Then, get serious and cut that price in half and put it up for sale.
GrouchyGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Reedotus OP
n00b

Argggg! GrouchGeezer that's about what I thought re the price! I've got a number of farkle a, some of which went n my 2011 and some which didn't fit. I can hope for a bit of coin from those.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,346
Question

Where's the bike?
Let's hear the details.
Let's see some photos.
And how much do you want for the damn thing?

People on this forum buy wrecked ones and fixer-up-ers all the time.

But you better do this in the flea-market or people will get all pissy with you.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,286
Where are you located. If in China parting out via ebay might be a hassle.
If you fill out your profile it helps get help.

Someone parted out a bike recently on Ebay. He was selling valves individually even.

Check this out. Ebay motors R1200GS used parts.

Just because it is listed on Ebay with a price doesn't mean it sold or will sell.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedotus View Post
Thanks for the reply. Where did he offer the parts for sale? here? I'll troll through the for sale section to look at the activity. I was amazed how hard it was to find used GS parts on eBay.
Why is it morally repugnant to put rings in it? If that's all that's wrong, it won't reduce engine life or reliability. Tell the prospective buyer about it.

I'd take a look in the airbox for oil. It's possible that an issue with the crankcase breather system is pumping oil into it.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,640
Interesting reference to Peking. Here in the west, we have been calling it Beijing for some time now. The Chinese are not aware of the name change so, Peking is actually correct....I think?

Smoke? I would start with a compression check. Anorak is correct...it may be nothing more that the crankcase breather or, it could be a broken ring.

If it were mine, I would proceed as follows;

1- Compression check.
2- Check the breather.
3- Check both left and right cylinder sparkplugs to see if only one cylinder is oiling.
4- Teardown beginning at the cylinder head(s).
5- Continue to seek direction and input from those savvy boxer folks herein.

Keep us posted.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Interesting reference to Peking. Here in the west, we have been calling it Beijing for some time now. The Chinese are not aware of the name change so, Peking is actually correct....I think?

Smoke? I would start with a compression check. Anorak is correct...it may be nothing more that the crankcase breather or, it could be a broken ring.

If it were mine, I would proceed as follows;

1- Compression check.
2- Check the breather.
3- Check both left and right cylinder sparkplugs to see if only one cylinder is oiling.
4- Teardown beginning at the cylinder head(s).
5- Continue to seek direction and input from those savvy boxer folks herein.

Keep us posted.
I forgot all about checking compression. Always a good idea to start with simple thing first.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Still love to see pics and roughly where in the world are you?..... Need a project for next winter, sounds good....... Thanks anyway.
Import
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Reedotus OP
n00b

Hey all - I filled in my profile, and for the record I'm in Central Jersey. The bike is not photogenic at the moment, due to being a 2year fixture in the front of my dusty garage. After I get the rear brakes done on my car, I'll be in a position to freshen up the 2005 GS, like this weekend. It is red, if that helps, and I could sell it with some well-used Vario bags. But I'm still trying to assess my options. I am probably capable of throwing rings in it if that's what's indicated. Time and hassle vs $$.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Reedotus OP
n00b

Oh yeah - the Peking reference was just trying to explain how obnoxious the smoking is. I must have missed the name change....I suppose I could have said, "I'd even get pulled over in New Jersey"....
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I forgot all about checking compression. Always a good idea to start with simple thing first.
And a leakdown test.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,113
Parting out a BM is just wrong...IMHO

Some one will love it, refresh it, ride it.

Just let em know the needs and History

Now if it was a fuckin KLR, ya part that bitch and ask $200 for a cracked crash bar.... and don't look back

As a Beemer....Sell it as it sits honest and true.. you will still get fair money.

Parts are best together as a family

gsweave screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 08:10 PM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote