Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
The more pertinent question is : are there other bikes which are better
when used for real adventure riding which actually includes
off road riding ? And the answer is a resounding yes.

The KTM 990 Adventure is superior in any sort of off
road conditions and doesn't have the final drive failures
and CANBUS hassles which come with a BMW.

The BMW is about as off road worthy as the Cadillac
Elvis drove.

Do yourself a favor and test ride a KTM 990 before you buy a
BMW. I've ridden a 1200 GSA and I couldn't wait to get
back on my KTM. And when I did, all I could think was :
"Now THIS is what a motorcycle should be like"

Of course the BMW fanboys won't agree with this, but
I speak the truth and I have no dog in the hunt other than
speaking the truth.

It's sad when someone crashes a thread. I've had GS, GSA, 950S, and 950SER. There were things that I liked and disliked about all of them. I use to have to work hard to put 4000 miles on my KTMs a year. That was because they were broken down all the time. Yes I would not ride my GSs on some of the trails that the KTMs went down. But guess what most people around here are leaving the 990s for lighter 500s. So it's all a matter of perspective.
It seems that the guy who started this tread is trying to figure out if he should get a GS or a GSA. I have my preference there too. But I am not going to say.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
It's sad when someone crashes a thread. I've had GS, GSA, 950S, and 950SER. There were things that I liked and disliked about all of them. I use to have to work hard to put 4000 miles on my KTMs a year. That was because they were broken down all the time. Yes I would not ride my GSs on some of the trails that the KTMs went down. But guess what most people around here are leaving the 990s for lighter 500s. So it's all a matter of perspective.
It seems that the guy who started this tread is trying to figure out if he should get a GS or a GSA. I have my preference there too. But I am not going to say.

+100. It'sNotTheBike frequently comes here to diss on BMW's... Ironic given his handle...

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Mr.Mushman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hello Bumpaman, when I was looking to get into BMW, I had the same question, GS or GSA ? Will I need the bigger tank, will I be able to handle it, will it be too heavy off road, is it just too much of a bike ? Rode a 2007 GSA for a minute or two and ended up getting a Red 2012 GSA and lovin it each and every I go for a ride. I always loved the beefier look of the GSA, the fact that I don't have to refuel too often is also a plus and I know the restrictions of taking such a "pig" off road, I also know its limitations as well as mine. On the highway it is a dream and you will also have a blast in the twisties, if you have experience riding bikes and big bikes you'll get used to the weight in no time and in my opinion the GSA is well worth "the extra pennies" ... But then again this is just my humble opinion ...

Keep us updated !
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Dude69
Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
my GSA replace a K1200LT - that's a heavy pig, makes the GSA feel like a KTM

but having a bike with heated seats, cruise control, and a 6 CD changer was pretty cool

only had it for 7 months - it does not fit tall riders

Or short riders
IBA #32752
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
The more pertinent question is : are there other bikes which are better
when used for real adventure riding which actually includes
off road riding ? And the answer is a resounding yes.

The KTM 990 Adventure is superior in any sort of off
road conditions and doesn't have the final drive failures
and CANBUS hassles which come with a BMW.

The BMW is about as off road worthy as the Cadillac
Elvis drove.

Do yourself a favor and test ride a KTM 990 before you buy a
BMW. I've ridden a 1200 GSA and I couldn't wait to get
back on my KTM. And when I did, all I could think was :
"Now THIS is what a motorcycle should be like"

Of course the BMW fanboys won't agree with this, but
I speak the truth and I have no dog in the hunt other than
speaking the truth.

I find your rant weak & you are pretty much a troll hanging out on Gspot.

You say you have "no dog in the hunt" but I suspect your quest is to be a smarmy douchebag. I'm not calling you that, but suggesting that is your goal.

I find your screen name ironic considering your tirade is all about your wonderful KTM......One would assume that you posess skills that render all bikes nearly equal.

Besides who would take your advice? You're a freaking newb....Go make me a sammich newb.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Dude69
Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I find your rant weak & you are pretty much a troll hanging out on Gspot.

You say you have "no dog in the hunt" but I suspect your quest is to be a smarmy douchebag. I'm not calling you that, but suggesting that is your goal.

I find your screen name ironic considering your tirade is all about your wonderful KTM......One would assume that you posess skills that render all bikes nearly equal.

Besides who would take your advice? You're a freaking newb....Go make me a sammich newb.
IBA #32752
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
BMWGScott
GScott

Oddometer: 168
I have had several GS's and loved them but had always wanted the Adventure but was intimidated by the size and weight. Then I rode an Adventure. Wow, what an awesome bike, even compared to the GS. They really are not that much heavier. Most people buy a GS, add lights, engine guards, panniers, etc. and soon, the only difference in weight is the SS rear luggage rack and the larger tank. Yes it is heavier by about 25 lbs due to the extra fuel it holds, but really, not much difference in weight in the end. What you do get, and what I love, is the additional wind/rain protection, and not having to fill up every 200 miles if you don't want too. Plus it just looks good. With what you get with an Adventure, and what you will add to the GS, the cost and the weight come pretty close, and that is without adding a new tank to the GS. I love my Adventure, and by the way, I am 5'8" and 144 lbs with a standard seat.
BMWGScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
orgo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGScott View Post
I have had several GS's and loved them but had always wanted the Adventure but was intimidated by the size and weight. Then I rode an Adventure. Wow, what an awesome bike, even compared to the GS. They really are not that much heavier. Most people buy a GS, add lights, engine guards, panniers, etc. and soon, the only difference in weight is the SS rear luggage rack and the larger tank. Yes it is heavier by about 25 lbs due to the extra fuel it holds, but really, not much difference in weight in the end. What you do get, and what I love, is the additional wind/rain protection, and not having to fill up every 200 miles if you don't want too. Plus it just looks good. With what you get with an Adventure, and what you will add to the GS, the cost and the weight come pretty close, and that is without adding a new tank to the GS. I love my Adventure, and by the way, I am 5'8" and 144 lbs with a standard seat.

That's amazing , you have skills . I'm 5'8" 150lbs and couldn't even reach the ground to get it off the center stand from a sitting position. Then it was a reach to the ground and barely could touch just the tip of my toes.
orgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I'm 6ft and some times have trouble getting my GS off the center stand.

5'8" on and adventure is hats off for schizzle.
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,057
Read the book, pretty sure you are not suppose to be on the bike and roll it off the stand on any of the 1200 GSs. I've busted the stand bolts, not fun.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Bumpaman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Thanks to y'all for your honest and passionate responses. I know in the end it is ride them both and choose, but your input has been a big help. Either way, GS or GSA, is a win for us. We cant wait to see what we end up with. After much research, I think we will be looking for a 2010 or newer because of the OHC. If you know of one, I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks again. You guys rock!!!
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
Porterhouse
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I look forward to the "lightness" of the GSA. currently ride the harley Ultra Limited all 950 pounds plus ... of all the reading I have done on this the GSA sounds to be the perfect all round road two up tourer and dirt "road" motorcycle. I plan on getting the GSA for my Europe trip in 2014/2015 but just have to wait to see when the WC will be availble in Canada. my vote is the GSA ( either current or new WC) good luck and ride safe.
Porterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterhouse View Post
I look forward to the "lightness" of the GSA. currently ride the harley Ultra Limited all 950 pounds plus ... of all the reading I have done on this the GSA sounds to be the perfect all round road two up tourer and dirt "road" motorcycle. I plan on getting the GSA for my Europe trip in 2014/2015 but just have to wait to see when the WC will be availble in Canada. my vote is the GSA ( either current or new WC) good luck and ride safe.
You maigh be disappointed in that "lightness" because the center of gravity on the GSA is stratospheric compaired to your old hog, especially when the gas tank is full. The beast does get sleepy and want to nap at inopportune times. That being said, I'd take the GSA over the hog.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
SiouxsieCat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Have owned both. Both are great for touring. I pretty much stick to asphalt and "tame" trails. It is my only vehicle and my daily driver (when it snows, I'm on the bus).
Owned the GS for a couple of years before shopping around for new panniers (came to hate the Varios), engine guards, and winglets; I just ended up trading in the GS and went to an Adventure. I'm spoiled by the larger tank now that I have it.
Like BMWGScott said, the weight difference isn't great, and you'll end up buying Adventure farkles anyway (engine guards, winglets). With the fatter tank and aluminum cases, the GSA feels a little bulkier maneuvering around slow or stopped, compared to the standard GS with Varios. I got used to it.
(5'9" 140lbs)

SiouxsieCat screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 06:39 PM
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennepinboy View Post
i am sure that some will not like this posting...

I was purchasing a gs i would get the plain gs and not the adventure. It is not worth the extra weight the cash difference for the small amount of cool the adventure brings
+ 1
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote