Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 196
Ordered the clutch and fork seals today on the website, talked to Mike and he said he would ship them today and I should have them early next week
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
He shipped my clutch on Tuesday and I had it Thursday, just for reference.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
He shipped my clutch on Tuesday and I had it Thursday, just for reference.
Got it today actually, I am impressed with the USPS priority mail boxe, ordered it Friday midday, paid 8 dollars shipping and got it today.

Now I hope I can get it installed sometime soon, but first I have to turn this

Into this

and of course it is Masters week, so when I am not splitting and stacking I will be watching golf :)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Golf!? Motorcycles easily trump golf .

Just messing with you. I agree Mike ships really fast. Also it will probably take just as long to drain and refill the oil when you are done, than it will take to swap the plates out.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Got it installed tonight after some wood splitting and Masters watching

I did notice something I never saw mentioned while researching this task.

When I took the plates off the outer most two steel plates were slightly thicker than the other 4, 60/1000s of an inch compared to 50/1000s of an inch. I was curious if the replacement pack would have two plates at .060 and 4 at .050.

It did have two plates at .060 and the other 4 were .048, I put the thicker ones back on the outside. I am not sure if it matters, since I never saw this mentioned in all the digging around I did.

I am going to take a thick steel plate from the old pack and make a clutch basket holder tool for removing the clutch basket nut so I can play with my little MIG welder I got this year , if anyone wants one let me know I will make two.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #36
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

I was going to make one of those tools tool out my old plates too .

I didn't even measure my steel plates, guess I should have. I just installed them and it worked.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #37
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
I was going to make one of those tools tool out my old plates too .

I didn't even measure my steel plates, guess I should have. I just installed them and it worked.
I wish we could go back in time, back when these old TXT bikes were being worked on instead of most of us dinking with newer pro models. Seems to me, I was told there is a thicker plate that "obviously" goes in first.

That (question about plates and locations or thickness) is a good question to direct to old JSE on TC, pm or otherwise, I think. that is when he was even more involved with tinkering with the gasgas, even though he still does today.

This is EXACTLY why I tried to tell people to get newer bikes. But, I am damn glad to know what you have learned fork wise, since I have a jt25 sitting in the barn... Saved me having to hunt and ask questions!
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

There is a steel plate with fiber only on one side that goes in first. I did measure the all the fiber plates and they were all the same so I never thought to measure the steel ones. It is down awhile while I try to fix the forks so I I may pull them back out and measure the steel plates for peace of mind.

I only paid $400 for mine. A new bike was WAY out of my budget. I have $139 in the clutch and not sure what to fix the forks yet. The other stuff I have done was only cosmetic and not required. But I agree as soon as I can afford it I will be buying a newer model bike.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #39
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
There is a steel plate with fiber only on one side that goes in first. I did measure the all the fiber plates and they were all the same so I never thought to measure the steel ones. It is down awhile while I try to fix the forks so I I may pull them back out and measure the steel plates for peace of mind.

I only paid $400 for mine. A new bike was WAY out of my budget. I have $139 in the clutch and not sure what to fix the forks yet. The other stuff I have done was only cosmetic and not required. But I agree as soon as I can afford it I will be buying a newer model bike.
I got mine cheap too, it was going to disolve under a "lean-to" if we hadn't rescued it. But we've dumped handfulls of cash and "favors" into the dang thing. But it is perfect for 1st ever riders, even those that never rode even a dirtbike...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Quote:
There is a steel plate with fiber only on one side that goes in first. I did measure the all the fiber plates and they were all the same so I never thought to measure the steel ones. It is down awhile while I try to fix the forks so I I may pull them back out and measure the steel plates for peace of mind...........
I also measured the steel/fiber combo plate,it was .080 on both the old and the new pack. I did not measure any of the failed fiber plates that were falling apart, so I don't know what thickness they were and since I did not have a reference measurement I did not bother to measure the new fiber ones either.

I have no idea why those outer two steel plates were thicker, but I imagine for the casual rider (95% of us) it will make no difference imho.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #41
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Made the clutch basket holder tool today out of one of the old thick plates, I will put up a pic of it when the camera (and my wife) gets back in town .
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #42
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Nice. I had to get wire for my welder so I haven't been able to make one yet.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #43
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

I got the clutch installed, I put the head back on after the decarboning, hope to be able to check out the new clutch action before too long. Spent an hour the other night with a steel wire toothbrush cleaning the exhaust, the radiator has been been cleaned, now just to finish cleaning up the engine and the skid plate areas, repack the muffler and I will get it put back together. The wood pile is damn near all split and stacked so that chore is almost gone. I think I am ready for a cold winter with what I have put up
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #44
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Well the pile of unsplit wood is now gone

And it has all been split and ready to season for next winter.

I will let my 20 yr old stack that last row.

So hopefully I can get the Gasser back together soon and wrap this thread up with a nice little post about the clutch working perfectly and start my next project, making sections around the lot to play in
Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #45
wb22rules OP
Bourbon Tester

Got her back together last night after having it fairly dissasembled.
Put oil and coolant and fresh fuel in it this afternoon, no leaks .
Fired up third kick, putted around a bit, the clutch and gearbox are working very nicely now.
It is nice to be able to snick it into nuetral while stopped with the clutch in now.
I did have to readjust the rear brake as when it got warmed up it started to drag so I had to give the pedal a bit more play.
After checking the clutch on a 5th and 6th gear run the bike did not want to idle, it would want to rev up on its own for a minute after a high gear run. I believe I may have to do a little tuning on the carb but that issue sounds like a possible intake air leak right ? Tomorrow I will try to verify if any of the gaskets or seals between the carb and the jug are leaking with some aerosol. I had a new gasket but reused the old one as it was in good shape. Anything else come to mind for the engine wanting to rev on its own after high gear runs? I have verified it is not a cable issue, I kept adjusting the idle screw back out to make sure that isn't it, but it doesnt do it from putting around in low gears, only after hitting 5th and 6th for a few hundred yards.

All in all I am happy I have no leaks of any liquids, the exhaust gaskets and o rings are all holding, no leaks there either and the trans and clutch feel so buttery now compared to before it is very nice