User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Cbr 125r

Hey folks, I know this is not a scooter but I thought I would pose this question to the scooterists. I noticed that Honda is selling off it's inventory of 2012 Honda CBR 125R's. These bikes normally go for around $3600 but are selling for $2300. Probably OTD for $3000 or so. They look like a sport bike but are really more of a commuter / around town kinda bike. Since the refreshening, these bikes look pretty cool. Gotta say, I am tempted. Any thoughts? I have owned all kinds of bikes, big and small. Current toys in my stable are as follows: '99 MX-5 Miata, '82 Honda C70 Passport, '85 Honda Aero 80. As far as bikes go, I like small displacement machines. More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. As sport bikes go, the CBR 125R is gutless, but compared to what I am currently riding, it would be a good bit quicker (and a hoot on twisty coastal roads, which where I live are everywhere).

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:36 PM
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Hey folks, I know this is not a scooter but I thought I would pose this question to the scooterists. I noticed that Honda is selling off it's inventory of 2012 Honda CBR 125R's. These bikes normally go for around $3600 but are selling for $2300. Probably OTD for $3000 or so. They look like a sport bike but are really more of a commuter / around town kinda bike. Since the refreshening, these bikes look pretty cool. Gotta say, I am tempted. Any thoughts? I have owned all kinds of bikes, big and small. Current toys in my stable are as follows: '99 MX-5 Miata, '82 Honda C70 Passport, '85 Honda Aero 80. As far as bikes go, I like small displacement machines. More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. As sport bikes go, the CBR 125R is gutless, but compared to what I am currently riding, it would be a good bit quicker (and a hoot on twisty coastal roads, which where I live are everywhere).

The price is dealers invoice pricing or close to it. These sell for 1500 or so used . Most are low mileage learner bikes. It will do 55 to 65 MPH with around 80 MPG pluss. I may be wrong but next to how they look they have not change much for years. MOst dealer are going to try to make cash on the add on cost of PDI , doc fees etc. 400 bucks plus depending where they are at. Don't know what honda charges dealer for frieght but I read last night it was 98 bucks for Yahama. Doc run a dealer 50 bucks there cost. The most time a dealer put into a bike 1.5 hours to pay there guys to t putting it together. Even then they are more then likely paying someone less then 35 bucks an hour to do that. This site offer the true dealer invoice price and then show MSRP. eg: honda sh 150 I MSRP 4499 , Dealer Price in 4004.00 . Most scooter have 250 to 400 bucks mark up from the real price they pay.

www.seedealercost.com/products/manufacturer-models/index/id/71/productCategorySlug/arall
Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. Around here (St. John's, Newfoundland) used CBR's (125's) run between $1500 and $2000. The scattered time you will find one cheaper than that.

Regarding dealer fees: it is what it is. I would bargain down naturally. It's ridiculous what they charge (which is why 6 outta the 7 bikes I have bought in my life have been used). The way I look at it is this: dealers are businesses trying to make a buck in the same way we are consumers trying to save as much money as we can. The only reason why I'd look at new is because of the discounts offered on leftover stock. Makes the difference between used and new a bit closer.

Personally I like the newer look of the CBR. Not as 'toy-like' as the previous model, looks wise. Slightly wider tires and a more modern appearance. If I could find a used 2012 I'd consider that over a new 2012 (just for the savings).

All that aside, I guess what I really want to know is: what do people think of the bike itself. Fun little run-about? Anyone have one?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
We do not get that bike here, and I think it is sad since we also don't get the CBR250R and only Yamaha makes a cool small sports bike the R15 with 150 cc so it could make the competition just there since the Ninja 250 is to damm expensive (around 7,000 USD)

If you can, buy it! I read a guy who rode around Canada but several 10k miles and was fine!

Cheers amigo

Damasovi
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
cbr125

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Thanks for the reply. Around here (St. John's, Newfoundland) used CBR's (125's) run between $1500 and $2000. The scattered time you will find one cheaper than that.

Regarding dealer fees: it is what it is. I would bargain down naturally. It's ridiculous what they charge (which is why 6 outta the 7 bikes I have bought in my life have been used). The way I look at it is this: dealers are businesses trying to make a buck in the same way we are consumers trying to save as much money as we can. The only reason why I'd look at new is because of the discounts offered on leftover stock. Makes the difference between used and new a bit closer.

Personally I like the newer look of the CBR. Not as 'toy-like' as the previous model, looks wise. Slightly wider tires and a more modern appearance. If I could find a used 2012 I'd consider that over a new 2012 (just for the savings).

All that aside, I guess what I really want to know is: what do people think of the bike itself. Fun little run-about? Anyone have one?

There is a gentleman in FLa. that has one . I think he is from Canada and lives in FLa part of the year. His name is Keith and he goes by KFSRQ on ADV. I 've read a post or two here on ADV but he is also on cbr125 forum [Canada] also. Would like one myself. They make a 125 and a 150 and the 250 versions . The 250 is the only one sold here in the US, Canada gets the 125 and the 250. Just may have to have the 250 Repsol version this spring. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,479
The CBR250R, the US gets, is a "thumper" as opposed to the previous version which was a v-twin. The last time Honda sold a 250cc v-twin, in the US, was 1988-90 VTR250 Interceptor. In other parts of the world, that bike never really went away and the current iteration is pretty cool. It looks like a little Ducati Monster with its exposed ladder frame. I would love to get my hands on a CBR125R to use as a commuter. For now, I guess my old '89 VTR250 will have to suffice...

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,513
I see two problems with that bike which would prevent me from buying it. One is the sportbike riding which I can't handle, and found very uncomfortable back when I could. I think commuting should be done in comfort. My Vino 125 and Zuma 125 bith make excellent commuters.

The other reason I wouldn't buy it is the same problem I have with my scooters. It is not freeway legal. I have over 26,000 miles on the 2 scooters together, much of it over and over on the same roads. I've gone everywhere I can from home without getting on a freeway. To go anywhere else I would have to haul them to a new starting point.

Freeways should have a special slow moving vehicle lane. I'll bet you would see a LOT of smaller scooters and mopeds out there if they did, and it would seem to make sense from an environmental and saving gas perspective. The needs for interstate highways are changing now due to the absurd gas prices.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey everyone, thanks for replying. Regarding the sport bike riding position, I hear what Jerry is saying. I took a BMW S1000 RR out for a lengthy test ride last year. After 20 minutes my neck was killing. I'm too old for that. The CBR 125R seems to adopt more of a standard riding position. My niece has a 2010 Ninja 250R that I borrow occasionally, I don't find that uncomfortable at all.

I think what is happening with me is this: I have been seduced by the sporty looks of the CBR and the low price ($2299 NEW). My wife would not be impressed if I brought home yet another machine. I bought my C70 and Aero 80 so she and I can take leisurely rides into town together, when we are not using our Miata. I think I need to stay focused and accept that I can't have it all. We have three school age kids and a lot of other priorities. Our Camry and Sienna get the most use these days, the bikes and the MX-5 are just for pleasure.

I am like a big kid who wants another toy and wants it NOW. I am going to try to practice restraint. And really, I should be thankful for what I have.

I have ridden enough bikes in my life that I would probably grow tired of the WeeBR pretty quick. I am going to hold on to what I got and aim to buy something new in a few years. Maybe a Burgman 400 ;)

Rob

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 02:24 AM
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
I see two problems with that bike which would prevent me from buying it. One is the sportbike riding which I can't handle, and found very uncomfortable back when I could. I think commuting should be done in comfort.
Even though it looks like a crotch rocket, the seating position is more like a Standard. Although, I do have to remind myself to keep the weight on the seat and not on my arms. My VTR is not uncomfortable.

Quote:
The other reason I wouldn't buy it is the same problem I have with my scooters. It is not freeway legal.
Point taken. Here in Illinois, that bike would not be allowed on the freeway (250cc minimum) even though I'm sure it could keep up with traffic.

Quote:
Freeways should have a special slow moving vehicle lane. I'll bet you would see a LOT of smaller scooters and mopeds out there if they did, and it would seem to make sense from an environmental and saving gas perspective. The needs for interstate highways are changing now due to the absurd gas prices.
States are having a hard enough time getting HOV lanes in-place. I doubt you'll ever see a "slow" lane on an interstate, limited access, divided highway, although the thought has merit (to force the commuting public to choose more efficient methods of commuting). Gas prices will never have any effect on the needs of the interstate highway system. Remember, it was built for defense (Thanks Ike!). The government allows us to use it when the Army doesn't need it. What I would like to see is a designated bicycle lane, delineated by Jersey Barriers, on all public streets. One car lane could provide enough room for two bicycle lanes (moving in opposite directions). That would force commuters to re-think their modes of transport. I would love to ride my bicycle to work but as the roads are now, I'd be killed post haste.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
fullmetalscooter

I ve seen these online at some dealers two Provinces over for 2 grand for a 2 year old old new stock bike. Just far to same for anyone my size. if you want one just use google and search new 2009 etc and see what come up. Also search for honda dealer with around you. You never know what still sitting in a show room years latter. Once came across a new 99 royal enfiled etc.
I know how you feel about wanting it and wanting it now. I really want the honda 700x that came out but know theres 3 years before I can get one . Where I live it runs 90 bucks a month once you hit 700cc. I Really want a Yamaha c3 cube scooter ( Dear Honda Helix I m leaving you . It's not you but me . I need to slow down and get some space . See things at a different speed. ) . It's Just a matter of cash and what not. Can't even leave on my trip till next year . Thanks Canada Tax department and My sister. I truly love you both. Once My mother estate is done this year I m gone till the money runs out.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Rails to Trails

Even at the cost of over $1,000,000 per mile we are building old railroad right of ways into hike and bike paths. It seem to me that they are used only on weekends. They should be shared with the small scoots and small bikes. How about like they do on a lake near by. Even days human power, odd days small motors. I could ride all the way to Cincinnati on our bike path on my Honda Trail 90, 65 miles.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
Even at the cost of over $1,000,000 per mile we are building old railroad right of ways into hike and bike paths. It seem to me that they are used only on weekends. They should be shared with the small scoots and small bikes. How about like they do on a lake near by. Even days human power, odd days small motors. I could ride all the way to Cincinnati on our bike path on my Honda Trail 90, 65 miles.
You could also ride the trans canada trail on c90. Goes from vancouver bc to the end of canada.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,842
They are popular here because of licensing laws.

They seem to last ok, up to about 40000kms, i have seen, most get killed here from learners smashing them so maybe they would go further.

They get great mileage but are a bit slow for freeways. Cheap if you only have to burn around in traffic, i have always wanted one for a toy but havent got around to finding one at the right price.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,513
First off, I had to sell an '09 EX500 Ninja because I couldn't handle the riding position. The bars were to low and to far forward. I must have been supporting 100 pounds of body weight on my arms and shoulders, and that got painful real quick. The pegs were also way to far back and to high for me, they bent my legs up like pretzels, causing cramps and numbness. 5,000 miles in 3 years, and most of it in pain. Yet most claim it has a "standard" riding position. Everybody seems to have a different idea about what a standard position is, though most put it far closer to sport than I do. I traded that bike for a Zuma 125. It's very comfortable, but unfortunately not freeway legal. Out here 150cc is freeway legal, though not necessarily safe. You just have to use you judgement.

I also had an '07 Ninja 250, it was a better fit than the 500, probably because I was too big for it. The pegs were about the same, but the bars were much closer. I actually found the passenger pegs more comfortable than the riders pegs, because they let me straighten my legs out more.

I have heard of several Ninja 250s passing 100,000 miles, I guess it depends on how you ride and maintain them. But, they have twice the displacement of a CBR125. If a CBR125 can keep up with freeway traffic, that has to be one highly stressed motor. I did discover that the Ninja 250 warranty did not cover loss of compression due to wear. Many people on the Ninja 250 forum were recommending the 3 year extended warranty, saying that guaranteed it would last for 4 years, but that is not the case.

There does need to be some way for small slow vehicles like scooters to get across the country. There are indeed many back roads, and old highways, like 66, that were basically abandoned when the interstate highway system was built, and for a long time I have been trying to put together a coast to coast route that avoided all freeways. So far no go. These old roads are broken up into sections, and while they do go coast to coast, they are also combined with interstate highways between sections, and that's where a small scooter has to stop. You can cross the country on bicycles, because many states allow bicycles to use the shoulders of interstates, but "motor driven cycles" are prohibited. I can no longer ride a bicycle more than a few blocks, and never had any interest in a long trip on one. I want a motor. It doesn't have to be fast, but it cannot require pedaling. The Zuma 125 is easily capable of cross country travel, just not legally.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,310
The scooter cannon ball run runs every other year coast to coast with no problems finding suitable routes.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote