Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #181
Boo82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Sometime after Easter, I was thinking of offering an 'Introduction to Enduro' ride, for anyone who would like to step up from basic riding and have a go at grade 2 - 3 terrain, at a very slow pace, with plenty of help, and some demonstrations from the experienced off road riders.

Covering things like; how to handle hill climbs, bog holes, ruts and whoops. Tricks for bike prep. Riding positions (crucial for difficult terrain), clutch control etc etc.
It will obviously appeal to those with smaller bikes, although last time we did one of these rides, we had a few DR650's along.

It would be a taste of this sort of stuff, but obviously at a more easily digested level

Anyone here keen on that sort of thing?

Obviously the DR650 is too big for me to take into this type of thing (some could do it, but theres no way I could), my question - would the DT175 be too small? I'm not sure if it really has enough power.

Boo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #182
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman660 View Post
Hey Strum, that sounds good to me. Will we need a registered bike? Cheers, Boneman
Yes mate, would need rego and licence/learners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
Interested here too. I am on a DR650, standard gearing but I have been thinking about adding a drz400 to the stable. I was after a wr450 or the 350ktm, but the simplicity and the cheapness of the drz appeals to me.
DRZ's are great. Bit of a do anything bike. I miss mine (but I looooove the kato!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo82 View Post
Obviously the DR650 is too big for me to take into this type of thing (some could do it, but theres no way I could), my question - would the DT175 be too small? I'm not sure if it really has enough power.
Mmmm, good question Boo. We wouldn't be doing any ridiculous hills or anything, and of course if the DT struggled, there'd be help on hand for you.
I'd say go for it as long as the DT is reliable enough to get you through the day.

Well, there seems to be enough interest, so I'll start a thread soon for the 'Intro to Enduro Skills ride'

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #183
DRAndrewB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi Strummer,

I would be keen to come along for sure, it is super cool to offer tips etc to us less experienced riders..
DRAndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #184
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Question Rec Rego do?

Quote:
Yes mate, would need rego and licence/learners.

Well, there seems to be enough interest, so I'll start a thread soon for the 'Intro to Enduro Skills ride'

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...
Rightio then... So it's lights back ON the WR....
Will look into "Recreational Rego" can anyone help me out there??
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #185
PRITCH139
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
My understanding of rec rego in QLD is that there is no such thing as rec rego in QLD, the system they have realy only allows for farmers etc to access public roads in the course of there work, these roads have to be idenified and the written permission of each individual land owner is required. I looked into it and I had a mate who actually got rec rego for a quad and was fined heavily for using his quad in Glasshouse, Ranger confirmed what I have said above.

Brian

Quote:

If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder”.
PRITCH139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #186
Godinton
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Sometime after Easter, I was thinking of offering an 'Introduction to Enduro' ride, for anyone who would like to step up from basic riding and have a go at grade 2 - 3 terrain, at a very slow pace, with plenty of help, and some demonstrations from the experienced off road riders.

Covering things like; how to handle hill climbs, bog holes, ruts and whoops. Tricks for bike prep. Riding positions (crucial for difficult terrain), clutch control etc etc.
It will obviously appeal to those with smaller bikes, although last time we did one of these rides, we had a few DR650's along.

It would be a taste of this sort of stuff, but obviously at a more easily digested level

Count me in depending on dates.
Godinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #187
Bumblebee1000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Recreational rego is not in Queensland mate.

I drive my quad bike on roads and national parks using conditional rego this has only ever been granted because of my disability (T10 Paraplegic). Going through all the processes has taken about 12 - 15 months to get me where I am today.

In other words you have no chance mate. Easier to just get a registered bike. I would have gone down this track myself but its not possible for me.
Bumblebee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #188
Bumblebee1000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:

My 4 wheeler would come as more of a rescue vehicle. But would have to see closer to the time. Need to take a few Go Pro's on that trip though.
Bumblebee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #189
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee1000 View Post
My 4 wheeler would come as more of a rescue vehicle. But would have to see closer to the time. Need to take a few Go Pro's on that trip though.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #190
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Bluhduh Proper rego it s then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRITCH139 View Post
My understanding of rec rego in QLD is that there is no such thing as rec rego in QLD, the system they have realy only allows for farmers etc to access public roads in the course of there work, these roads have to be idenified and the written permission of each individual land owner is required. I looked into it and I had a mate who actually got rec rego for a quad and was fined heavily for using his quad in Glasshouse, Ranger confirmed what I have said above.

Brian
Thanks Brian & others... Looks like proper rego will be the go. Appreciate your help.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #191
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Cornerman system

OK, time for the important and very serious housekeeping post, which I will be repeating on Saturday night.

All riders please take the time to read this post and understand the Cornerman System.
If you have any questions please ask.

CORNERMAN INSTRUCTIONS:

This ride will have a LEAD RIDER (me) and TWO SWEEP RIDERS.
The lead rider will be in front (don't pass me) and the sweep riders will always stay at the back of the group.
You will be a CORNERMAN. There will also be MID PACK HELPERS to assist you.

When the lead rider approaches a turn, corner, intersection or hazard on the track, he will point to a spot on the ground. This indicates that he wants you to stop your bike here, so that other people know which way he has gone.
You should nod to acknowledge you understand, and position your bike facing in the direction he has gone.

If it is an obstacle, he will point to you, and hold up his hand in a 'stop' gesture. This means he wants you to dismount your bike and assist following riders to avoid the obstacle.

Your bike should be positioned so that:
  • It is obvious which way following riders should go (pointing is also helpful)
  • You are safe from potential collisions with following riders or other traffic
  • Approaching riders have ample time to see you and slow down for the corner
ONCE YOU HAVE BEEN PLACED ON A CORNER / OBSTACLE YOU MUST REMAIN THERE UNTIL THE SWEEP RIDER APPROACHES AND INDICATES FOR YOU TO MOVE ON AHEAD OF HIM.

The sweep riders will be wearing ORANGE FLUORO VESTS and will wave to you to indicate you should rejoin.
As riders take turns at being a cornerman, they will fall in behind you, and in theory, you should all have a turn at being corner markers.

POINTS TO REMEMBER

Because of the size of this group, I would ask you to stop in groups of 2 or 3 riders at each indicated corner.
This will give you some company while you wait, and help keep the group together.

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LEAVE YOUR CORNER UNTIL THE SWEEP TELLS YOU TO
This is vital with a group this size. Following riders may have no idea where to go if you are not there to tell them.
Remember, the sweep riders may be dealing with a broken bike or fallen rider, and may take an hour or more to reach you. PLEASE wait for them.

In the event of a major hold up. ONLY THE LEAD RIDER will double back to check what is happening.

If I pass a corner and forget to tell you to stop, stop anyway. You can even stop on the side of the track if you wish to take a break and wait for the sweep riders.

RIDE AS SLOW AS YOU LIKE. We are in no hurry. The name of the game is have fun at your own pace and arrive nice and safe and happy at the end.

PASSING OTHER RIDERS is no problem if you wish to go a bit quicker than the people in front.
But please remember, they may be beginners on their first group ride, so NO CLOSE PASSING.
If you can, beep your horn a couple of times to let them know you are coming.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFETY OF RIDERS IN FRONT OF YOU.
Don't follow too close or spook other people.

If you are being passed, you have right of way to choose whatever line you feel safest on.

And finally
IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH ANY PART OF THE RIDE, STOP AND RAISE YOUR HAND. A MID PACK HELPER (yellow vest) will assist you or ride your bike for you.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #192
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Out of interest, I thought I'd tally up the different bike types. Nice to see about 10 lady riders on the list too.

Strummer – KTM 450
Sandy – KTM 400
B1 – DR650 or FE 570
Lupine128 – DR650
Mickd - 690
Afterdark - KTM
What's his face – Tenere or DRZ?
Evil Nikevil – XT?
Pritch39 Transalp
Boo82 DR650
Bumblebee1000 - QUAD from hell
+ 1
Greendude DR650
Hodgo - Africa Tubby super duper enduro weapon
Boneman 660 XT660
Chop chop 990/F800/G450???
Godinton
Martind KTM 690
Young-gun-640 – 625 sxc
Dennis
+ 2
RideWithMe - 690
Wizzabren Tenere / FE 450
+ 1
xronly – xr650
Clacka - Postie
OFB and RubyTuesday KTM/DL1000/LITTLE YELLOW THING
excTC - 690
Andy_P ? – DR650
Andrew
Mark - 690
Marty - KLR
Luke – DR650
John – DR650
Barry – F650
Steve – XR400
AJC - DRZ
Knowles
Oldman66 - KTM
Knotso fast
Big Ed Bethell – KTM Freeride
Straygypsy - DR650
Mat P
Bec P
Ari.G - WR
MartyOz
Beaudene - KLR
Panthoniszbce?
Bushmaster WR
Scotty63
KATO - 690
nemo's wr
+1
Baric 690
Bender - DRZ
Eric - KTM 990

Will_S - postie
Nathan C
Jared32 - KLR
mGary - dr650

Strummer screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 03:07 AM
Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #193
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,622
I'll be on the 450. Need to give it a run.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #194
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,545
Im in

May as well add me to the list too on the fat old Africa Twin
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #195
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Good one Hodgo. Be great to catch up. If it'll make you feel better, I'll bring the ski rope with me and give you a tow