Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
motorhead748 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
`12 1K strom vs `13 1200Multistrada

I come to the assylm for advice.
Last year after 250K on an older generation concours I replaced it with a `12 Strom 1K adv. I liked it, it was more comfortable run good enuff ....and was cheap. relatively.
I also have a `08 1098S in the garage. Its awesome but Im lucky if it gets used 2K/yr.
So lately Im thinking trade/sell the 2 for a `13 multi strada or maybe even keep the 1098.
I know over the long haul the strom will be cheaper to operate but it doesnt make me all tingly inside.
This would be used 99% of time on pavement. I thought when I bought the strom Id put 100K+ miles on it but now Im wondering.
Lets hear it?
motorhead748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Last year after 250K on an older generation concours I replaced it with a `12 Strom 1K adv. I liked it, it was more comfortable run good enuff ....and was cheap. relatively.
I also have a `08 1098S in the garage. Its awesome but Im lucky if it gets used 2K/yr.
So lately Im thinking trade/sell the 2 for a `13 multi strada or maybe even keep the 1098.
I know over the long haul the strom will be cheaper to operate but it doesnt make me all tingly inside.
This would be used 99% of time on pavement. I thought when I bought the strom Id put 100K+ miles on it but now Im wondering.
Lets hear it?
commutes or long trips? what is your maintenance budget? how much would you save or lose in insurance? Is money a factor, if so, what is your overall budget like?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
motorhead748 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
commutes or long trips? what is your maintenance budget? how much would you save or lose in insurance? Is money a factor, if so, what is your overall budget like?
mostly long trips.. Maintenance isnt much of an issue as I do my own. Ducs included , I have a 1098 & a 748.
Insurance wont be much different as state farm goes by CC. But if I did trade 2 for 1 it would be cheaper.
I can buy the MS and afford to operate it no problem.
Probaly the biggest thing is, and it happens every year about this time, other than the ural & KLR everything else has been holed up in the garage. If spring would get here I could ride my junk and be satisfied with what I already have.
motorhead748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
I always say the same thing to my friends when we talk about buying new bikes.

I say look at how many riding days you have until you can't ride any more (200 per year x 20 years) = 4000. That will help you decide. Buy whatever puts a grin on your face and keeps you happy. You only have so many rides left.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,685
Moved to Beasts... even though both are mostly used as Road Warriors, we talk about Vstroms and Multi's in Beasts.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,479
Buy the one that gives you wood. We all know which one that is.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Get the multi - upright superbike, and in the real world, easier to ride fast than a sport bike. I have about 33k on my 2010 multistrada - it's a keeper.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Lets hear it?
You answer your own question. Go with what makes you feel tingly
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
I looked at both and bought a Tiger 1050 ABS.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Ride the Vstrom for a year longer because the new KTM 1190 kicks butt.
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoneby View Post
Ride the Vstrom for a year longer because the new KTM 1190 kicks butt.
You might be on to something here.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Best of all is the tingly feeling of the Multi doesn't seem to go away with time.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Between the two its really not even a question. Based upon your answers as to whether or not you can afford it...get the Multistrada. After you ride it you won't regret the purchase, and you will wonder why the VStrom is so lacking.

While I admit the Suzuki is a good bike, I rode a 1K Strom once, and immediately hated it....although YMMV.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
I was seriously considering the Multistrada last year as a "tall road bike". But a friend had a lot of trouble with his - back to the dealer five times before he unloaded it.

Posted a poll on a local forum and one third of the Ducati riders said they'd had their [new] bikes back under warranty. Many of them still liked their bikes and the problems weren't always major - for example, fueling problems fixed with a new map.

I wound up buying a Tiger 1050 ABS.

YMMV as the Multistrada has significantly more power than any of those bikes (V-Strom less than 100, Tiger 1050 114, Multistrada 148 or something?) There's a ton of bells available in terms of riding profiles and adjustable suspension. Only you can say if those things are worth the purchase price.

A V-Strom 1000 with upgraded suspension is a pretty capable all-around bike, but has none of the snob appeal of the European brands. It will never get any "oohs and ahhs" the way any Ducati does, even odd-looking ones. And all those "tall street bikes" are a little odd looking. One factor to consider is the used prices for DL1000's are pretty low.

Apropos of nothing, my "other" bike is a DL650 ABS. I ride it a lot for commuting and trips, as it doesn't generate much heat in summer, has a lighter clutch, gets better mileage, has better headlights, and more cargo space. The Tiger has better suspension (both are upgraded from stock) better brakes, sounds better, has a lot more power, and has a shorter wheelbase so it's a little easier to throw through corners.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I was seriously considering the Multistrada last year as a "tall road bike". But a friend had a lot of trouble with his - back to the dealer five times before he unloaded it.

Posted a poll on a local forum and one third of the Ducati riders said they'd had their [new] bikes back under warranty. Many of them still liked their bikes and the problems weren't always major - for example, fueling problems fixed with a new map.

I wound up buying a Tiger 1050 ABS.

YMMV as the Multistrada has significantly more power than any of those bikes (V-Strom less than 100, Tiger 1050 114, Multistrada 148 or something?) There's a ton of bells available in terms of riding profiles and adjustable suspension. Only you can say if those things are worth the purchase price.

A V-Strom 1000 with upgraded suspension is a pretty capable all-around bike, but has none of the snob appeal of the European brands. It will never get any "oohs and ahhs" the way any Ducati does, even odd-looking ones. And all those "tall street bikes" are a little odd looking. One factor to consider is the used prices for DL1000's are pretty low.

Apropos of nothing, my "other" bike is a DL650 ABS. I ride it a lot for commuting and trips, as it doesn't generate much heat in summer, has a lighter clutch, gets better mileage, has better headlights, and more cargo space. The Tiger has better suspension (both are upgraded from stock) better brakes, sounds better, has a lot more power, and has a shorter wheelbase so it's a little easier to throw through corners.
Problem with the DLs is not that they don't have the snob appeal (only), it is a question of performance. If performance is what matters, of course.

The 2013 multistrada does not have the fueling issues of the 2010-2012 models.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote