Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Jiri OP
Jiri

Oddometer: 57
ferry route from Ancona, ITALY to Bar, MONTENEGRO or Hvar, CROATIA

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any experience on the above ferry routes with your bikes in the summer months? Planning to go two up end of July but not sure about exact dates yet - not sure if pre-booking is a must to ensure we get spots on the ferry...

Appreciate any comments from your experience

Thank you

Ride hard, die free :-)
Jiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Baskerville
n00b

Oddometer: 9
We dont like to prebook hotels and usually check availability with the ferry company the day before our intended crossing. Not sure if its much help but we caught the Ancona to Split overnight ferry a couple of years ago. No problem getting on as there was loads of room and we were the only 2 motorbikes onboard - mind you this was early September.
Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 140
I've done the Italy crossing about four time's now all to different places. On that side. First one I booked on the internet thing. But found my self racing down to get the crossing time. Now I just turn up and buy a ticket. You will find they are not that expensive. When you think of the price of a channel crosssing. Long enough to get your head down if like me you do an over night one.
John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri View Post
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any experience on the above ferry routes with your bikes in the summer months? Planning to go two up end of July but not sure about exact dates yet - not sure if pre-booking is a must to ensure we get spots on the ferry...

Appreciate any comments from your experience

Thank you

Did Ancona to Split in late June a few years ago. I booked ahead so I'd get a cabin. My days of trying to sleep in some kind of recliner surrounded by snorers are over.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Panda*
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Hi, Jiri ! In 2011 we sailed on the ferry from Zadar (Croatia) to Ancona (Italy). We did not book in advance, just watched the ferry schedule on the carrier website JADROLINIJA http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2 and planned our trip accordingly. Stopped at Rijeka (Croatia) and bought tickets for the ferry, and 3 days later arrived in Zadar and loaded onto the ferry. Here's a report on that trip. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739617
Panda* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Jiri OP
Jiri

Thank you all, this confirms my intention not to prebook might work just fine :-)

Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Jiri OP
Jiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda* View Post
Hi, Jiri ! In 2011 we sailed on the ferry from Zadar (Croatia) to Ancona (Italy). We did not book in advance, just watched the ferry schedule on the carrier website JADROLINIJA http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2 and planned our trip accordingly. Stopped at Rijeka (Croatia) and bought tickets for the ferry, and 3 days later arrived in Zadar and loaded onto the ferry. Here's a report on that trip. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739617
Wow! What a report :-) nice trips :-)

Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri View Post
Thank you all, this confirms my intention not to prebook might work just fine :-)

Just try to do it before the last weekend of July , it will be the start for most people of the summer holidays ... it will be busy also on the motorways going south.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Jiri OP
Jiri

Good point, we were also thinking about that... Unfortunately it will have to be somewhere in that range as we have a boat booked for a week as of July 27 in Croatia :-) ...so was thinking of a working day in the week before - if there are ferries during the week to Bar in Montenegro or to Hvar in Croatia.. Will need to start searching for timetables, although most lines dont have them published yet..