ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Removed clutch cover every thing looks fine. All bolts are in no trash in clutch compartment. Will take RSC off a little later today. I have to go ride my 200 right now. Ive already checked the chain, counter shaft sprocket, and now the clutch. I did notice a little oil residue under counter shaft but i assumed this was the typical cs seal leak problem with all KTMs.
I also shifted through all gears while in each gear I tried to push back forward then backward without clutch pulled in.2nd thru 6th the bike would not roll either direction. When I geared back down to first the bike would roll both forward and backward as if in neutral. I then put the bike in neutral to verify that I didn't mistakenly hit neutral instead of first on the down shift. That was not the case. I then shifted down to try to find 1st with the same result. The bike would roll both directions without resistance or grinding noise witch was there yesterday?
JLC640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Bought a shop manual. I guess when it gets here I'll start tearing her down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Anyone know if someone makes a complete gasket set for the 990?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC640 View Post
Went for a ride This afternoon on my 08 990 Adventure S. Stopped at a stop sign on a country road looked right then left and preceded to make the left hand turn. Just as i let out the clutch to go a car came fling around a turn on my right. I locked down both brakes and pulled in clutch and came to a rapid stop but could not catch the bike before it fell gently on its left side. It fell so gently that it did no damage to the bike, I thought. picked the bike up and started engine and there was a loud rattling coming from the bottom end put the bike in 1st it went away. Then released the clutch and it moved a few feet and stopped and started making noise again. I then turned the engine off and haul the bike home.
Did My Transmission Just Grenade?
Actually I think there is nothing wrong with your bike..

When they lay down on their side, engine oil flows from here to there in the engine. When you lift the bike, and start it again after the fall, it usually makes a rattling noise. At least mine does. So IMO as for the noise.. it's normal - also they need a couple of seconds until the hydraulic cam chain tensioners make the timing chains tensioned.. Sometimes they don't let go of the tension for.. let's say overnight.. sometimes they do in 3 seconds (when bike is shut off). But my bike always rattles after a fall.. for a couple of seconds (let's say about 3-5seconds)

Then the shutdown.. When you fall with the bike, the fuel system can go mad. Vent lines can get filled with gas, etc.. If you have the canister system still installed, that can make things even worse - by things I mean a restart after a fall.

I wouldn't split the engine case if I were you...

Also.. these bikes (the engine at least) withstand way more bigger getoffs than what you mentioned.. There are guys who ripped off plastics, made holes on the fuel tanks, cracked the frame.. and the tranny didn't fell apart..

Just my $0.02.. if you feel like pulling the case apart.. good luck:)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

I would love for u to be right, but did u read my other post in this thread?what explains it not going into 1st gear? With the bike running in first it won't move.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
I would love for u to be right, but did u read my other post in this thread?what explains it not going into 1st gear? With the bike running in first it won't move.
Ah, sorry.. post #12 explains it all.. my bad.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #21
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,038
Quote:
Bought a shop manual. I guess when it gets here I'll start tearing her down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Anyone know if someone makes a complete gasket set for the 990?
KTM twins sells the OEM gasket kit. Don't buy the entire kit yet.

If you take the clutch side cover off, you need to be careful to save the gasket. Most times you can save it. If you don't you can buy from several online vendors.

try this ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Looks like there is something broken and stuck between two gear wheels. Could be a piece of clutch plate stuck between the primary and clutch hub. Could be broken dog in side the gear box. Can't say without further diagnosis / pictures.

Could be anything, so you will have to start getting into it. Its not tough at all untill you have to split the cases.

I would recommend :

1. Take the clutch cover off (RHS of the bike - smaller cover with 6 bolts) and see if you can find anything abnormal there.
2. If all looks ok, then drain the coolant and take off the RHS case cover to see if there is anything wrong.

post detailed pics of what you do and what you see in there. Will help in diagnosing.

The above two steps are easier and quicker than getting into the gear box which involves splitting the case. They can be done using the standard tools provided in your tool kit and for step 1, put the bike on side stand so you will not lose any oil either. Get a hold of the repair manual if you don't have one. best 40$ you can ever spend.

good luck. try the above steps and report back.

Vicks screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 03:34 AM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Thanks vicks, I will definitely remove the right side cover first and check it out.
Took the bike to my local dealer today KTM World real good people. Explained to them what happened on the phone before leaving and they sounded like most on this site. They did not see any way a simple layover could cause an issue in the gear box. After they inspected the bike and started it briefly (listened to the noise)they confirmed my diagnosis. The mechanic said it sounded like one of the gear dogs was not locking in place for some reason(something broken between it and the gear maybe). He even pulled out a set of gears he had out of a 450 and explained what he was talking about.
Definately going to remove RSC before i start removing engine but sounds like that may be what I have in store. Thanks for your help and advice everybody. I will post what I find when I find it. Wish me luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
He even pulled out a set of gears he had out of a 450 and explained what he was talking about.
Keep in mind that the set of gears he showed you from a 450 is only so that you can get an idea of how a dog looks and works. Donot, for even a second, think that the LC8 gears are as slim as those from a 450. The LC8 ones are made to take 150+ horses day in - day out. They also survive missed shifts at high revs with all the 100hp transmitted through them as you can see from many owners posting in threads related to funky gear box shifting.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 515
sounds like shift got shoved off shift drum , look behind clutch basket the weld on that side of shaft has Been known to brake EZ fix as long as shaft is not bent
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

A few pictures under right side cover. It looks good. Good news the crankcase screen filter looked clean.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:

A few pictures under right side cover. It looks good. Good news the crankcase screen filter looked clean.
Good that you can see everything neat and clean after taking the cover off - because but frankly speaking, those pics are so small, i can't see shit. Take pics with a higher resolution (proper digital camera if you have one) and not a 640pixel mobile phone. OR if you did take good resolution pics, you might have linked the small size ones over here. Try linking the bigger ones so we can see the details.

I think your best option would now be to take off the clutch. Do you have a clutch holder tool or are you going to use the penny-tech tool for it ?

cheers
Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #27
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

This size better
http://tinypic.com/r/2s6kpps/6

http://tinypic.com/r/jg3be0/6
Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

First evidence came out when I tip bike to drain oil out of the side case.

http://tinypic.com/r/rbio8n/6
http://tinypic.com/r/oud4p1/6
http://tinypic.com/r/2ep3db4/6
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
Vicks
I love sand !!!

tooth fairy called ya ?

Quote:
First evidence came out when I tip bike to drain oil out of the side case.

Bad news - You've lost a tooth from one of the gears.
Good news - I think the lost tooth is from one of the gears in the primary drive / clutch hub and not from your main/counter transmission shaft. So you probably dont have to split the case - unless absolutely necessary.

So, did you take the clutch pack and hub off ? Can you rotate the clutch hub slowly and feel by hand if any of its teeth is missing ? The size of the teeth next to the coin leads me to think its either from the primary drive gear on the crank shaft or the clutch hub. I wouldn't want the primary gear to lose a teeth. eeks....
Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #30
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Take the clutch assembly off and look closely at the star shaped piece with pins in it. Are all the pins in place? Not bent or loose?

If that part is OK I think you have a bent selector fork and/or gear dog damage. This is inside the main crankcases and requires stripdown.

I have not stripped an LC8, but if it is similar to the singles you can take one half off wihout disturbing the head gaskets or pistons or crank by lifting the cylinders just enogh to clear the dowels in the base gasket area, then gently raising the base gasket and separating the cases. Saves a lot of time, saves disturbing major parts and saves gaskets :)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote