http://tinypic.com/r/5pr67p/6
http://tinypic.com/r/2q2mmic/6
http://tinypic.com/r/24guarr/6
JLC640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #32
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Damage is inside. Bent selector fork plus other damage.

Change the locking lever (the piece with the bearing on the end that clicks against the star shaped thing) for the later part number as the bearing fails in the early one.

Also change the shift drum.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
I have not stripped an LC8, but if it is similar to the singles you can take one half off wihout disturbing the head gaskets or pistons or crank by lifting the cylinders just enogh to clear the dowels in the base gasket area, then gently raising the base gasket and separating the cases. Saves a lot of time, saves disturbing major parts and saves gaskets :)
Quote:
Damage is inside. Bent selector fork plus other damage.

Change the locking lever (the piece with the bearing on the end that clicks against the star shaped thing) for the later part number as the bearing fails in the early one.

Also change the shift drum.
Peanuts: really good advise on splitting the cases without taking off the cylinders / gaskets. Will keep that in mind if i ever need to use that trick.
I'm still betting on one of the gears missing a teeth rather than the selector forks being bent. His is an '08 990 so i doubt if it suffers from the locking lever bearing failure of the early bikes.

I'd also say, inspect the shift selector forks and drum for damage (there might be resultant damage due to a missed shift which led to a gear tooth ripping off) and replace if necessary ?

OP : I think you've done a good job till now. Go ahead and split it . On the plus side, you will learn a lot more about the bike and its internals....
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 752
So why do we think this happened in such a minor tip over? I beat on my 08 ADV and it seems fine.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
So why do we think this happened in such a minor tip over? I beat on my 08 ADV and it seems fine.
Looking at the damage to the gear tooth, I'd surmise that there is another chunk of something floating around in the sump of his bike, probably from the factory. when he layed it over the something moved around and got caught up in his first gear and then tried to go through it breaking off the tooth.

I don't think he's got bent shift forks or anything else beyond a broken first gear.

.02c
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #36
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

The damage was caused by either the gear lever getting pushed way harder than normal use, stressing everything associated with gear selection. Or the bike stalling while on high revs/high power (the latter normally happens when someone messes up a landing in on an MX track)

A single tooth off a gear does not stop it driving each time you try, I have taken motors apart to do other work and discovered a missing tooth.

The repeated clicking and failure to drive in first is because the gear dogs are not engaged. The gears slide on the shaft, moved by the forks, which in turn are moved by the shift drum which is indexed by the star shaped thing and held in gear by the locking lever.

So something to do with the gear selection is bent or broken. All looks good under the clutch cover so its inside.

Change the locking lever as its $10 and if it fails its $lots to repair. Motor is coming apart anyhow....

Part Number: 60034024144
Description: LOCKING LEVER CPL.
Retail: $9.39
Your Price: $7.98 (15% discount)

Peanuts screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 02:52 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thanks guys, I'll post more pics when I get her apart.i did rake out another tooth after I found the first. A few metal shavings. What are the chances of this messing up crank bearings or making it to top end?
JLC640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #38
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC640 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll post more pics when I get her apart.i did rake out another tooth after I found the first. A few metal shavings. What are the chances of this messing up crank bearings or making it to top end?
Zero chance of that :)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #39
JR_FX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Athena makes a gasket set, but doesn´t include the valve covers gaskets (you can reuse the ones you have).
JR_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #40
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

I buy individual genuine KTM gaskets and seals, just the ones I need.

The KTM kit contains every O ring, copper washer and gasket to do a full case swap. Many are never used in a routine rebuild.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #41
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
I have not stripped an LC8, but if it is similar to the singles you can take one half off wihout disturbing the head gaskets or pistons or crank by lifting the cylinders just enogh to clear the dowels in the base gasket area, then gently raising the base gasket and separating the cases. Saves a lot of time, saves disturbing major parts and saves gaskets :)
Good thinking, but sadly it may not be possible - the cylinder studs pass from the crank-case up through the cylinders. It may be possible to remove two of them per cylinder, to allow removal of one half of the crank case, but it would be a struggle.

Do you find it OK to re-use the base gaskets when you do that?
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #42
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRupert View Post
Good thinking, but sadly it may not be possible - the cylinder studs pass from the crank-case up through the cylinders. It may be possible to remove two of them per cylinder, to allow removal of one half of the crank case, but it would be a struggle.

Do you find it OK to re-use the base gaskets when you do that?
Double nut and remove the studs.

I use a thin bead of Loctite 515/518 on the base gasket. If the gasket gets torn or there is any doubt whatsover, pull the cylinders up until the circlip is exposed, then pull the pin and remove the cylinder with piston in place.

This is only for low hours motors of course. If they need rings then conventional stripdown is required.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #43
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Double nut and remove the studs.

I use a thin bead of Loctite 515/518 on the base gasket. If the gasket gets torn or there is any doubt whatsover, pull the cylinders up until the circlip is exposed, then pull the pin and remove the cylinder with piston in place.

This is only for low hours motors of course. If they need rings then conventional stripdown is required.
I don't think you'd get a double nut on the studs - especially given the lack of space. Also, the studs are glued in.

The gasket is made of metal, so you'd be going it some to tear it.

The base gasket has been known to leak in a few cases, so I would not recommended re-using.

All in all, I don't think it's wise to take the risk for the sake of two base gaskets and couple of circlips, especially if it's your first LC 8 rebuild.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #44
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRupert View Post
I don't think you'd get a double nut on the studs - especially given the lack of space. Also, the studs are glued in.

The gasket is made of metal, so you'd be going it some to tear it.

The base gasket has been known to leak in a few cases, so I would not recommended re-using.

All in all, I don't think it's wise to take the risk for the sake of two base gaskets and couple of circlips, especially if it's your first LC 8 rebuild.
Yeah, all good points. Like I said initially, that's what I do on the singles, but on reflection it is not an approach that should be taken with the LC8.

So get it apart and see what is damaged and bent!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #45
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
but on a low mileage '08 990, it might be worth the risk not taking every thing off - if you don't need to ?
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote