User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #61
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
My hypothesis :
1. while the bike was down, the gear shif lever came under slight enough pressure to move the bike between gears
2. There was not enough movement of the gear shift lever to engage the dog fully
3. This led to two gear wheels OR gear wheel/shaft contacting at the very edges, instead of meshing fully as would have happened in ase of a proper dog action.
4. The rear wheel was in firm contact with the ground preventing stressless transfer of engine torque (whatever flimsy numbers the LC8 makes below 3,000rpm).
5. This led to more stress on the gear / shaft teeth contact.
6. Due to the small area of contact between them, the gear teeth sheared off (not sure of the correct terminology for this).

I'm still astounded at this happening. Can't imagine something like this to be feasible !!!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #62
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Or,, as the event happened, the throttle got "blipped" and the bike rocked back and hit the tire to the ground enough to basically shock the drive train (Possibly in a non fully engaged mode.. ) eihter way,, "Its dead jim"

Good luck on the repair...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #63
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,108
I'm inclined to think theres a missing spacer or something.. seems like 2 gears got shifted, 'geared' same time. this is too much to have anything to do with a rear wheel getting stuck.

Pay a lot of attention to spacers when putting this back together!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #64
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
I'm inclined to think theres a missing spacer or something.. seems like 2 gears got shifted, 'geared' same time. this is too much to have anything to do with a rear wheel getting stuck.

Pay a lot of attention to spacers when putting this back together!!
Yeah but, he's been riding the bike around for quite some time before this happened. If a spacer was missing, it would have cropped up much earlier in the bike's life time.
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #65
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,498
Is the shift drum good? Shift forks? Look at all that shit real good before you put it back together. Check cases and pivots. If it got into two gears at the same time that would make a ton of force to fuck things up.

I had a Honda once with a snapped off pivot on the shift drum.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #66
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Shift drum, all three shift forks, the shift fork shafts Looked fine. The only other thing damaged in the gear box was the oil tube in the pictures.
Got my parts and gaskets earlier this week. Going to start back together with it this weekend.
JLC640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #67
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Almost got the bike back together. Wanted to try to start the engine before mounting the tanks and all the parts that cover everything up. Hung the left side tank on and pluged fuel line and pump in but the fuel pump will not pump. Is there something im missing? Does the ECU have the fuel pump turned off for some reason?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #68
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC640 View Post
Almost got the bike back together. Wanted to try to start the engine before mounting the tanks and all the parts that cover everything up. Hung the left side tank on and pluged fuel line and pump in but the fuel pump will not pump. Is there something im missing? Does the ECU have the fuel pump turned off for some reason?
Basic things to check - kill switch, neutral sensor, clutch switch and side stand switch. There are also some relays but I doubt if they'd be damaged.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #69
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

The neutral sensor does not appear to be working. Would this keep the fuel pump from working? Is there a way to check it?
I did remove the sensor to make sure the two pins with springs where in place and the pins where 90 degrees from the ground (vertical) with bike in neutral.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #70
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC640 View Post
The neutral sensor does not appear to be working. Would this keep the fuel pump from working? Is there a way to check it?
With the ignition ON and the bike in neutral, does the Neutral indicator lamp glow on the display ? IF not, you know its broken. I think it will prevent the fuel pump from operating. Its a simple switch that provides ground contact to the ECU, starter interlock unit and the multifuntion display. Its the green-blue wire and if you ground it, you should be able to simulate neutral gear.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #71
JLC640 OP
Adventurer

Had the fuel pump plugged into the neutral sensor and vice-verse. Hooked it up right and it fired right up. Yeeeee Haw! Going to take tanks back off and make sure all my wiring is secured properly, put it back together and try the tranny out. Feeling pretty good right now. Thanks for all the good advice guys.