Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Score: Dogs & Gravel 1, Me 0 (I went down)

So, out for a little pleasure ride on a nice day and I decided to take the road less travelled.

Anyway out comes a lab to my left followed by some other med/large dog. I slowed, then sped past. He rounded me and kept on coming. Up ahead, a 90* turn covered in gravel (this is farm/ranch territory). I was actually worried he was going to cut me off in the turn. Well, next thing I know I'm on the ground. The dogs didn't get any closer, but they kept on barking as I picked up the bike and got it running.

I'm fine, a scratch here and there and I'm sure I'll have bruise on my right hip. I ride with my gear so not too bad; though I was wearing regular jeans not my riding jeans.

The bike has cosmetic damage but nothing too bad. I know I can replace most of the parts if they bother me enough. The exhause is pretty scratched and so is the lower right hand side of the puig windscreen. As for the actual scooter, a few places hear and there, but mostly down low.

I'll maybe post some pics this weekend.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,618
It's always a bummer to scratch up a new bike but at least the Sport City crashes pretty well (don't ask how I know)

Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

Is your exhaust scratched or just the plastic heat shield?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 663
it's not a sport city 250 if it doesn't have a few misbehavin' scars!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess it's the plastic exhaust cover. In fact, it had a pebble stuck in it.

I know it's a personal thing but I'm so glad I was wearing my gear (as always). My jacket held up, no scuffs. My shoes are pretty scuffed at the toes and even my elbow which was covered completely by the jacket has some rash.

Anything I should "definitely check" before going out again. I'll take a closer look this weekend. I usually ride to work on Friday's but I'll pass tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
I was wearing regular jeans not my riding jeans.
Just human nature I guess . . if safety gear is too much of a nuisance to put on, you won't.

Knee Pads (Lowe's Garden Department)
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Try to find out who owns the dogs. They're liable for the damage to your scoot and if they're made to pay maybe they'll keep their dogs up.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Gotta watch them dogs. Your story broght back memories. I was 15. My first crash was caused by a dog grabbing my pants leg. I was riding down a dirt road/construction area, when a dog that had been watching from the higher level roadbed decided that my leg looked tasty. He leapt down and I dropped. At least he let go once I hit the ground. My first wheelie was when a dog charged me as I was rounding a neighborhood curve. An unintended wheelie in a curve, with a dog on your tail isn't fun.

Glad you were prepared and your bike isn't too bad.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Try to find out who owns the dogs. They're liable for the damage to your scoot and if they're made to pay maybe they'll keep their dogs up.
I suppose I could do that, though I don't know it's worth the effort or problems it would likely cause. I'm going to say my chances of driving down that road again are slim and none, not only because of the dogs, but mostly due to the fact it was off the beaten path.

I do have a bruise about the size of my hand that looks like a mix of blackberries, rasperries and blueberries, and its fairly swollen, though going down. No "injury" as far as I can tell. Motion is normal as well as no pain other than to the touch.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 75* and the bike seems fine so if I can convince myself not to do some sprinkler repair, I'll be out enjoying the day.