User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Lower 48

In May I am heading on a ride in which I intend to hit all of the lower 48 states my bike has not yet been in. I will hit all but Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming. I would go ahead and do those too, but it would add a lot of miles. As it is I think it will be about 15,000 miles. I want to document it, and I would like a strategy that is easy to get into advrider. My main tool for writing about it will be an IPAD with a keyboard. What is the easiest way to mix text with a few pictures and get it uploaded from an ipad to advrider.

My current thinking is that I may just document in evernote and facebook and prepare the ride report for advrider when I am done, but it might be more fun to do it at the time I am riding.
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
Most importantly, you will need a web host for your pictures. I don't have one, and that is my most difficult part of posting, since Advrider doesn't allow direct uploading. Once you have a place to upload your pictures daily, all you will need is internet access, which is usually available at motels and coffee shops.

I think it will be more interactive (between us and you) if you post often. From what I have seen, fellow inmates will give advice along the way, offer you tent space, or help if you break down. We look forward to reading about it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Most importantly, you will need a web host for your pictures. I don't have one, and that is my most difficult part of posting, since Advrider doesn't allow direct uploading. Once you have a place to upload your pictures daily, all you will need is internet access, which is usually available at motels and coffee shops.

I think it will be more interactive (between us and you) if you post often. From what I have seen, fellow inmates will give advice along the way, offer you tent space, or help if you break down. We look forward to reading about it.
Thanks. I would like to write every day, but it would be easier to have a local format that could upload more directly so I would not have to make ADVrider the source location of my documentation, but I guess it is ok if I need to do that. It causes some issues, but maybe not insurmountable. I use photobucket for pictures, so that is covered. I guess if I want to notify people on facebook about progress I will just like them to advrider articles so I don't have to type everything more than once.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

My plan is to ride the southern interior states to Virginia Beach. Then I will head down the coast to Miami. The wife will ship her g650 to Miami and we will head to Key West. She will continue with me to Houston and then ship her bike back home. I will go the rest of the way around the United States to Virginia beach and then head back through the northern interior states to Colorado. I think Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming are the only states I will not hit, and I have been in them on this bike already. If I am not already entirely burned out, I may hit Wyoming too. I have done a first-level estimate of the mileage and it will be over 15,000 miles I think. Probably going to take six weeks or so.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

America

It is a little over three weeks before I set out on a six week ride to all states in the lower forty eight. Give or take.... Ok, I may not hit Nevada and Arizona, because I have been in them, and going on this trip will add at least 2 days to a trip that is already a bit, um, long.

But whatever. I must address the question, "Am I a poseur." Answer: Yes. But maybe not in the way you mean. Yes, I do have to confess I am not and ADVENTURE RIDER. I will never be discovered in a mud hole in Zambia. ...much to my loss I am sure. I am just not that bold.

On the other hand I have tried to ride a dirt bike alone while suffering from the rather unfortunate condition of being over 50. Here is a link to some of the stories. They are a bit profane, so be warned: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568453

Anyway I also do a lot of touring. Here is a shot of the F800 I am going to try to do it on:

This bike has seen Jasper, British Columbia. It has seen Mesa Verde. It has seen the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Moab. It has raced 40 miles to find a tow truck to rescue my wife's g650, because Moab has not seen fit to augment its micro brew industry with 21st century cell phone coverage. Sigh.

There are thirty five thousand miles on the F800 now and will be fifty thousand in a little over two months. East to Virginia Beach. Down to Miami to meet the wife. She ships her g650. We ride to Key West and then to Houston. She ships her bike home and returns to her job. I will go around the US to Virginia Beach and then head back to Colorado hitting all new states on the way back, except for Wyoming, which I have already hit, but will hit again.

I really hope I have the discipline to write about it.

Oh yeah, in case you were wondering what I look like, this is me:

daq7 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 09:21 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
drisschoufa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Popcorn is in the micro.
2007 YAMAHA WR250 son
2006 YAMAHA TTR125 daughter
drisschoufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

To camp or not

One thing that has occupied my mind a lot is whether to camp or not. I realize that I will get a different feeling for the geography if I camp, and I will be able to see the stars. I have done some motorcycle camping and I do like it, but I have decided to hotel the trip. Do you care? Meh, probably not but here it is:

I think I need to do 500 miles a day in order to do the trip. I need to do at least 30 days of this. I do not sleep all that well in a tent, and that is reason enough for me not to do it. But also the process of setting up and taking down the camp, the process of finding food and having to prepare it myself, and the process of just the general hassle of camping have convinced me that if I want to do anything else like write, I need to simplify things, and I need to be served food while I have a drink and do an ipad painting or write something about the trip. F*** that was a complicated sentence. I hope I got it right. Anyway, if I want to have any chance at succeeding, I think I will need easy food and good sleep. So hotels it is. Mock me if you must.

Anyhow, this is a better version of what I look like.

...and this is my lovely wife:

She will be joining me in Miami riding the bike in the foreground of this picture as she followed me on the easy part of Old Flowers Road. (Yeah, I know, it's ALL easy. F*** you!) I kind of suck on dirt.

And finally, a picture of the bikes at the Tetons. We have been to Jackson a couple times on the bikes, and we rode through there several years ago on the way to Jasper, BC.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
@500 miles a day, do you plan to stop and see anything, or just two minutes here, two minutes there and then say F*** it, I am out here,

That's doesn't leave much time for seeing anything @ 500 a day, less the road well traveled. I was going to say that since you use Photobucket already for pictures up load them and write up the day's adventure, feelings ect.. on, or in note pad in windows. Copy the links to your photobucket pics into Note Pad and copy and paste everything to ADV, when you are ready. That way you can edit in anything one time or what ever you need, just remember to hit "save" for each note pad entry, then put it into it's folder, sub folder for each day ect..

manshoon screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 07:26 PM
manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon View Post
@500 miles a day, do you plan to stop and see anything, or just two minutes here, two minutes there and then say F*** it, I am out here,

That's doesn't leave much time for seeing anything @ 500 a day, less the road well traveled. I was going to say that since you use Photobucket already for pictures up load them and write up the day's adventure, feelings ect.. on, or in note pad in windows. Copy the links to your photobucket pics into Note Pad and copy and paste everything to ADV, when you are ready. That way you can edit in anything one time or what ever you need, just remember to hit "save" for each note pad entry, then put it into it's folder, sub folder for each day ect..
Yeah, that is the problem. At 500 miles a day, it will be about the road almost completely. There will not be a lot of time to stop. I am not at all sure this makes sense, but I presume that after I retire I will do the same thing with more leisure. I want to try something challenging this Summer, and this is what I went with. If I get three days into it and it sucks, I will alter my plan. I am hoping I don't have to, because I REALLY want to get at least a surface impression of all the states I have not been in. I will take one day completely "off" for every five I ride, so I am hoping I can arrange the break in a really interesting area. We will see.

Your suggestions about documenting make sense. I will actually be doing it on an ipad. I have a bluetooth keyboard. I wonder if I can copy and paste photobucket links into evernote files. I should find out, and I thank you for the suggestion. I anticipate having wifi every night, but being able to write and link if I do not will be convenient.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Daq7 here is a really good link I found, it kinda answers the question of what the capabilities are for Evernote. See if that works for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evernote

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-1b901d5cffac

manshoon screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 08:07 PM
manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, looking at that link pretty much confirms that evernote is not going to let me embed image code from photobucket. Also, i am a bit unclear on the path from evernote into advrider. It doesn't matter. I will compose online and if I cannot get on line I will take physical notes and enter it when I am. Or I will give up, eh?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

Manshoon. I stand corrected. While I cannot figure out how to embed image code with the IPAD app, once the note gets loaded to the evernote web site, I can call it up on a browser page, and there I CAN put in image code and copy and paste the whole thing to advrider. That means I can keep the basic documentation in evernote and can do writing even when not connected to the web. That will help. Thanks for the push.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

Stuff to take

This is really only some of it, but it is most of the stuff except the clothes. The candles and the dvds won't go of course, I was just too lazy to move them to take a picture of junk. Anyhow, I will probably leave some of this stuff behind. And why am I doing this over two weeks before I leave. Well I am a bit anxious I am going to forget something important, so I figure staring at it all for two weeks will reassure me. I am sure my wife will be enchanted with the theory when she returns from her business trip.

Al lot of the bulk of this stuff is cameras and a few lenses and all the support equipment for that.

God bless the Kindle, since now I won't have to carry five or ten real books.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
daq7 OP
Studly Adventurer

ugh. I was riding the F800 to Denver yesterday. I was on the freeway and the bike just stopped running. It was not the electricals, since they were all fine, but the engine just stopped. I tried pulling in the clutch and starting it while rolling but it would not start. I pulled over to the median, stopped, turned the ignition off and then on, and it started right up. I do not need this kind of twitchiness at the start of a long trip.

I have no idea what it was. I know there is a leak in the head gasket, but it it hard to believe that would cause this unless the leak were really bad.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,484
Covering all the states on one ride is pretty ambititious. Riding 500 miles a day, day in day out, til you're back home ?" Why ?
I like a 300-350 mile per day pace. You're still changeing locals, but there's some time to stop and breathe.
Why not split the trip? East of Denver one year, West the next.
It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote