User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
nachosgrande OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
2nd Bike

Hoping for some advice. I currently have a 2012 KLR650. Looking for a second bike. Do I modify the KLR to make it more dirt oriented and get a versys/wee strom/cb500x or modify the KLR to make it more street oriented and get a 250cc dual sport thumper? What would you do?
nachosgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,535
For me one bike. It's difficult to share time and effort not to mention money on more than one.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
I would love a bike collection, but when I had 2 or more bikes, I found one always won out and the others sat.

The last time I tried it, I had my TU250 (street) and a TW200 (swamp) and while the TW was great and fun in the sand and swamps around here, I almost always went out on the TU as it was more fun.

The TW got used on rainy days mostly, as dirt riding in the rain is a bit more fun then street riding.

With unlimited time, money and storage, I would have a bike collection.
And still likely ride the TU 90% of the time.

The smaller lighter dual sports are fun in the dirt, and safer with their lighter weight.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Trying to make the KLR dirt worthy is a waste, it will always be too heavy. It is happy on pavement so I would leave it there and get a dirt bike. It may sit more but when a real dirt ride comes along you will have the right tool for the job.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachosgrande View Post
Hoping for some advice. I currently have a 2012 KLR650. Looking for a second bike. Do I modify the KLR to make it more dirt oriented and get a versys/wee strom/cb500x or modify the KLR to make it more street oriented and get a 250cc dual sport thumper? What would you do?
It would depend on the type of dirt riding you're talking about, and the type of street riding.

If you envision lots of interesting dirt trails and gnarliness and just around town pavement puttering, then getting a smaller more dirt oriented bike and pavement riding the KLR could make sense.

If your dirt riding will be nothing more than fire roads, and your pavement riding will take you across various state lines, then letting the KLR handle the dirt and getting something more pavement oriented could make sense.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
nachosgrande OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to ditch the KLR and get a Versys/Vstrom and a 250 dual sport. Problem is I like the KLR, haha.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
I like my KLR it does ok on the road,10000 miles as of May this year since last June when I got it,It does ok in the dirt,I have reached the stage in my life 52years old and when I had my YZ 250 I was always doing stupid shit and getting hurt,the YZ is a great bike I just am not good at leaving the throttle alone WFO gets me in trouble,The KLR will go any place the YZ would for the most part and I don't have to trailer the KLR everywhere I ride it to the woods.I tend to over do maintenance because I enjoy working on bikes and if I have to many in the garage I go nuts trying to figure out what to do to what.So yes for me the KLR with a couple of different counter sprockets to change the gearing for the days ride is my latest answer to what bike to have,oh and my son has a R6 Yamaha so if I wanna tempt fate with the law and go fast I jump on that.The long and short is keep the KLR I did.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 924
Eek

2 x bikes I've stuggled to get down to only 6 now
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
2 x bikes I've stuggled to get down to only 6 now
Took me awhile too,I do all the work on the R6 also,it's nice though because a R6 and a KLR are both pretty low maintenance,so other than tires and oil we have 2 bikes that just get ridden.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
It does really depend on what you enjoy, and how far you want to go.
I would love one bike that does everything, and maybe the KLR is the best bet these days.

I would want a bike like the old Triumph Daytona's I had, under 350 pounds, low center of gravity, all day comfort, room for the wife, good at dirt roads and trails that were not mud holes or real rough stuff, tough as nails, not damaged in falls (just bend stuff back in shape).
But that bike needed a motor transplant to something other then a paint shaker with a 4 speed transmission.
I think an old SL350 would fit the bill maybe, but they are very old.

Now days, you get tall heavy dual sports with little hard seats, or giant pigs in the dirt.

The top picks seem to be the WR250 and the DR650 for Japanese non race bikes.
The DR650 is lighter then the KLR, the wr250 has a lot of power for what it is, and a 6 speed trans...
The drz400 has a close ratio 5 speed, and there is nothing else out there from the Japanese.

If you pick a nice street bike, and a good dirt bike, like say a 2 stroke KTM or something, then you have to decide what you are going to ride if you have a few hours or a day off. Dirt or street. You cant do both.

It would be nice if they made a modern Daytona, 350 to 500 cc single or twin, around 350 pounds or less, room for two, some suspension, 6 speed or wide ratio transmission.

But we get 250 bikes that look a lot like motocross bikes without the power, or 400 to 600 pound pigs.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
You cant play golf with one club.
And theres no such thing as a do it all bike,,,,sooo,,ya need more then one.

What do you want to do with a smaller more dirt wise machine?

You have a KLR,which can tour the back roads,or highway,run two up,commute,etc.
So i assume you'd like to get alittle farther back in the trails.Hence ill give my opinon on a small CC bike for off roading.

Not knowing your time in the seat,or area of play,combined with not knowing how big or small of a guy you are,,,or,,what laws your state offers for motorcycle types[plated dirt bike,or dual sport],id say the best way is to get out and try and compare or best bet try and ride friends machines to get your own idea.What works for me might not work for you.

Staying in a 4 stroke state of mind[which isnt easy]i would look at,XR250R,WR250F,DRZ400E,KLX250/300,,,or if you have to stick to dual sports,CRF250,WR250R,KLX250S,DRZ400S.These bikes are all easy to work on and ride with an aftermarket that will let you set them up anyway you want or need.That and you can pretty much buy and then ride and tune anyway you want and still make your money back when you want to upgrade or if you decide its not for you,you wont loose to much.
And all of them should suit the need i think,,ah,,you need.
You should be able to do any of these bikes on cheap insurance,great fuel milage,low cost parts[for when you crash,you will]or like,$10 oil changes,$10 air filters,cheap tires,etc,check the valves once in awhile and ride.
I'd set myself[everyones different]a $2500 budget and you should be able to find a nice clean low mile bike,that you wont cry to much when you smash it into trees and rocks.

Blah,blah,blah,,,more info on what you want to do with a smaller class dirt bike and you can get a more specific answer.Let us know.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
nachosgrande OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
It does really depend on what you enjoy, and how far you want to go.
I would love one bike that does everything, and maybe the KLR is the best bet these days.

I would want a bike like the old Triumph Daytona's I had, under 350 pounds, low center of gravity, all day comfort, room for the wife, good at dirt roads and trails that were not mud holes or real rough stuff, tough as nails, not damaged in falls (just bend stuff back in shape).
But that bike needed a motor transplant to something other then a paint shaker with a 4 speed transmission.
I think an old SL350 would fit the bill maybe, but they are very old.

Now days, you get tall heavy dual sports with little hard seats, or giant pigs in the dirt.

The top picks seem to be the WR250 and the DR650 for Japanese non race bikes.
The DR650 is lighter then the KLR, the wr250 has a lot of power for what it is, and a 6 speed trans...
The drz400 has a close ratio 5 speed, and there is nothing else out there from the Japanese.

If you pick a nice street bike, and a good dirt bike, like say a 2 stroke KTM or something, then you have to decide what you are going to ride if you have a few hours or a day off. Dirt or street. You cant do both.

It would be nice if they made a modern Daytona, 350 to 500 cc single or twin, around 350 pounds or less, room for two, some suspension, 6 speed or wide ratio transmission.

But we get 250 bikes that look a lot like motocross bikes without the power, or 400 to 600 pound pigs.
I've heard great things about the WR250, and have been leaning that way (although I haven't test drove it yet), but don't know if it's worth $2000 more than the CRF or KLX. Another problem is the 37" seat height might be a bit much for my wife, and it needs to be able to fit her. And I don't think she'll like a 2 stroke, haha.

But yeah, you guys are right, the KLR is a pig in dirt, I need something lighter. KLR is fine for road, but just that, fine. Maybe a 685 kit.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachosgrande View Post
I've heard great things about the WR250, and have been leaning that way (although I haven't test drove it yet), but don't know if it's worth $2000 more than the CRF or KLX. Another problem is the 37" seat height might be a bit much for my wife, and it needs to be able to fit her. And I don't think she'll like a 2 stroke, haha.

But yeah, you guys are right, the KLR is a pig in dirt, I need something lighter. KLR is fine for road, but just that, fine. Maybe a 685 kit.
I bought a Yamaha WR250R and shipped it to Salt Lake to ride the CDR. The bike was terrific so I left it in Phoenix to visit a few times per year. Then I went home and bought another 300lb motorcycle with similar characteristic as the little Yam, but with more power. A new KTM 690R.

It is the absolute fastest thumper I've ever ridden. Probably as quick as my old 950 up to about 90mph. Pretty smooth too. I use it for travel and dual sport events. Fine piece of kit. So while I have three motorcycles, I really only ride one. The 690r.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
nachosgrande OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
You cant play golf with one club.
And theres no such thing as a do it all bike,,,,sooo,,ya need more then one.

What do you want to do with a smaller more dirt wise machine?

You have a KLR,which can tour the back roads,or highway,run two up,commute,etc.
So i assume you'd like to get alittle farther back in the trails.Hence ill give my opinon on a small CC bike for off roading.

Not knowing your time in the seat,or area of play,combined with not knowing how big or small of a guy you are,,,or,,what laws your state offers for motorcycle types[plated dirt bike,or dual sport],id say the best way is to get out and try and compare or best bet try and ride friends machines to get your own idea.What works for me might not work for you.

Staying in a 4 stroke state of mind[which isnt easy]i would look at,XR250R,WR250F,DRZ400E,KLX250/300,,,or if you have to stick to dual sports,CRF250,WR250R,KLX250S,DRZ400S.These bikes are all easy to work on and ride with an aftermarket that will let you set them up anyway you want or need.That and you can pretty much buy and then ride and tune anyway you want and still make your money back when you want to upgrade or if you decide its not for you,you wont loose to much.
And all of them should suit the need i think,,ah,,you need.
You should be able to do any of these bikes on cheap insurance,great fuel milage,low cost parts[for when you crash,you will]or like,$10 oil changes,$10 air filters,cheap tires,etc,check the valves once in awhile and ride.
I'd set myself[everyones different]a $2500 budget and you should be able to find a nice clean low mile bike,that you wont cry to much when you smash it into trees and rocks.

Blah,blah,blah,,,more info on what you want to do with a smaller class dirt bike and you can get a more specific answer.Let us know.

Good point. I'm 6'5" tall, tons of road experience, not much dirt experience. In fact, I've never even ridden a true dirt bike, only dual sports. We have all kinds of terrain around here, so need/want something that can handle it all.........if possible. I'm guessing that a $5000 250cc dual sport won't cut the bill. Not everyone can afford a KTM 690, haha.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
depending on what state you live in, you could plate the 2-stroke KTM and do both dirt very well and street OK.

or you could get a 4 stroke KTM (EXC or plated XC-W) and do both very well as long as you don't want to bring a passenger along.

my 450 xc-w blows my DRZ away on the street. blows WRs and KLXes away on the street, too. (and way blows them all away in the dirt...not even remotely close.) blows DRs and KLRs away on the street except at really long distance highway riding--though it kinda still does until you have to stop to change the oil.

LittleRedToyota screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 01:24 PM
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote