User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Academy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Novogar and Gaerne Oiled

Anyone have personal experience with the NOVOGAR and / or the Gaerne Oiled boots? I want to use them for dual sporting
Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
I've used the Gaerne's for years now. Oiled balance for trials and the pro tech for DS. These are very comfortable boots, but don't offer a lot of protection in the rough stuff.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Got the NovoGar about '09. Comfy. I can wear them all day. I got them for trials but they are now used for commuting as well. Never hurt an ankle wearing them, I guess that is good. I have gone down hard enough to take out a knee, complete torn ACL. If you have a glass ankle then there is little substute for the ankle cast of a full on motorcross boot. My ankle isn't as thin as an egg shell so that isn't my need. they also have a tough enough sole to take several nasty kick starter kickbacks, but enough feel I can tell where my foot is at on the peg. Being Arizona I can't vouch for complete waterproofness. But so far they have kept my feet dry. Sno-seal may be partially responsible.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 867
Eh? wondering about protection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
I've used the Gaerne's for years now. Oiled balance for trials and the pro tech for DS. These are very comfortable boots, but don't offer a lot of protection in the rough stuff.
Have been considering the Gaerne, but when you sasy not lots of protection, I am wondering what level of rough would you say is to much for them?

Thanks!
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Have been considering the Gaerne, but when you sasy not lots of protection, I am wondering what level of rough would you say is to much for them?

Thanks!
Trials boots are about as protective as non steel toed redwing laceup boots would be, but trials boots have 100x better grip soles, and are more comfortable than my Walmart bough nike tennis shoes I like.

Here's the deal, IMHO. Trials boots protect our feet as we ride at walking pace, 89% of the day we're riding our trials bikes. IT is pinch, scrape, slight protection for your feet kind of like gloves for your hands are.

This also means you get flipped off that bike above 10MPH, you might as well have worn sneakers, well you know almost. if you get your toes below the footpegs, and smack a rock or tree/sapling/stump, your doomed especially at faster than you walk speeds, like can happen just pluggin around a off road area, on some enduro bike.

I suggest if your aren't riding trials, and dont want to take risks, get an enduro boot or MX boot. Sidi make an enduro boot, looks a lot like the TRIAL ZERO that I am looking to buy for trials, but it comes with more support (ankle, toe, stiffer soles, stuff like that). Brain fade if cant think the the model.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
I have used mine for Dual sport. But I mostly ride standing, and the trials soles are too soft for standing on the peg for day after day.

Also +1 on the not enough protection in a proper crash.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,532
I bought a set of the new Gaerne waterproof boots to replace my old non-waterproof Gaernes that I loved to death. I had to send them back because the inner WP booty reduced toe box space to the point of painfulness. The Gaernes were good for me because the boot shaft was big enough for my large calves. I have a pair of the A-stars that provide more protection with a taller shaft, but they're built more for folks with skinny calves.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,595
Level of protection is an issue. Wearing shin guards eliminates the majority of this issue. I have an old pair of Novagaurds, complete with Shoe Goo repairs. I have ridden these boots from Virginia to NM, I just rode over 1200 miles wearing these old wore out trials boots/house shoes. Bruce bought a new pair and wore them on the same trip, his were the oiled Garne. I wear my trials boots on dual sport rides, trials, baja. I stood up a lot and I never felt foot fatigue and the platform may be old and worn, but they worked well. A boot that you can wear all day, ride all day and sit on a beach and they were great. I have motocross boots, they are stiff and bulky but they are better protection.

YRMV
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Lonestar JR
n00b

Oddometer: 5
boots

Take a look at the Sidi Discovery Rain, great D/S boot, not as tall as an MX boot and more flexable - plus it's waterproof.
Lonestar JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 867
Thumb

Great info, thanks!

FYI: I do in fact ride a 4RT and love trials, however thinking about what everyone is saying I do like a bit more protection, I am thinking maybe a pair of the A-Stars might be what I pick up.

Still debating so may still get something else but...
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Academy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thnx

Good Info....thnx
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar JR View Post
Take a look at the Sidi Discovery Rain, great D/S boot, not as tall as an MX boot and more flexable - plus it's waterproof.
Good advice. These are a little heavier and stiffer than Trials boots, but still have the trials sole.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
LeShaghal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
No school Like the Old School

Trials is a balance game, that's why you FEEL everything through your boots. Like bedroom slippers!
And as for the best boots EVAR!!!
Dad's old Sidi Trials!
Relined the tops and tongue with some red upholstery leather from Ebay
the laces are a bit hokey but the FEEL makes up for it in every way!
Velcro closures mean nothing to break off or snag on a section tape,
The best things I've ever subjected my feet to!

LeShaghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Academy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool boots

Cool boots ...very nice restore!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,975
I wear Gaerne Oiled Balanced for street & dual-sport riding. Sidi Discos were the other boots I tried on when shopping for new boots last year, but the Sidis weren't nearly as as comfortable for me.

I want boots I can be comfortable walking a mile or 2 in. For me the comfort is a fair trade off for not feeling like I'm wearing plastic ski boots.

I would buy them again.