User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Oddometer: 165
Hit a pot hole and lowsided

Decided to go for a spirited ride through some local twisties. Coming around a left at ~50mph and caught the edge of a pothole with the rear. Bent the shit out of the rim and sent myself and the bike sliding down the pavement and into the woods. I was wearing a 2pc Dainese Race Suit, Dainese Full gauntlet gloves, Dainese Race boots and a Shoei RF1100. Gear did a great job at protecting me but sadly didn't prevent me from burning my forearm on the exhaust while pointing at the rim and going HOLY SHIT!! New rear wheel has already been ordered.

Madrox screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 05:07 PM Reason: imgur being a pita
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

The fuck, the images didn't resize properly. Fixing that now.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,095
Its very risky over riding your sight lines.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Its very risky over riding your sight lines.
I agree completely. That's not what happened here though. I had clear vision through the turn as well as the one after it as well. It also looks like I grossly overstated my speed looking at the location on Google maps, I wasn't looking at my speedometer but I wasn't pushing or trying to "go fast" as the road surface is pretty shit. It was right at the end of a storm drain on what would be the apex of the corner for the right lane. The entire road was pretty chewed up and I didn't register it as the threat it was and wrongly chose to ignore it. Obviously I paid the price.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Had to be some hole, where in Ct did this happen so I can be on the lookout!
Glad to hear your ok.
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Right here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.408754,-72.952278&ll=41.409493,-72.953954&spn=0.00088,0.002064&num=1&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=41.409599,-72.953923&panoid=_QBwqYPj_czjGoBuffL4ww&cbp=12,198.44,,0,17.54

The road's been paved over apparently quite few times since Google mapped it.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Thanks, I've traveled that stretch before. Have to love Ct's deteriorating road system. Tax dollars hard at work
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Jimmy B.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
holes in the road!

HOLY SHIT!

Must be one big pot hole!

Who is responsible for road repair in the area?

Please report it, may save another rider.

Good on ya for the gear and surviving the slide.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,393
file a claim with the state, county or city responsible for maintaining that section of road.

Glad you're ok
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King View Post
file a claim with the state, county or city responsible for maintaining that section of road.

Glad you're ok
I was going to tell you the exact same thing. Find out who is responsible for the road maintenance at that location and file a claim. I did it in UT, it was easy... It was on their website. Couple weeks later I was contacted by their claim adjuster and the only question he asked me as if I had already collected from my insurance... I said no and got a check 3 weeks later. I told him I had a picture of pot hole if he needed, he said no.
Good luck.
Glad you're ok.

QSrider screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 08:19 AM
QSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,095
I think you are fooling yourself, if you hit something big enough to do that to your wheel, you are not looking at the road surface at all, or going too fast to react.
Could have been an oil spill, sand, a big hole, and you are down.
In many places, it could have ended much worse, and the way to prevent it is to look what you are riding on as well as well ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
I agree completely. That's not what happened here though. I had clear vision through the turn as well as the one after it as well. It also looks like I grossly overstated my speed looking at the location on Google maps, I wasn't looking at my speedometer but I wasn't pushing or trying to "go fast" as the road surface is pretty shit. It was right at the end of a storm drain on what would be the apex of the corner for the right lane. The entire road was pretty chewed up and I didn't register it as the threat it was and wrongly chose to ignore it. Obviously I paid the price.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think you are fooling yourself, if you hit something big enough to do that to your wheel, you are not looking at the road surface at all, or going too fast to react.
Could have been an oil spill, sand, a big hole, and you are down.
In many places, it could have ended much worse, and the way to prevent it is to look what you are riding on as well as well ahead.
I'm not arguing that and I agree completely. Had I been going slower this thread probably wouldn't exist. I've been going over it again and again in my head. I went back this morning and came to two conclusions. 1. If I had been carrying less speed in all likelihood nothing would have happened. And 2. I have no idea how the wheel failed so catastrophically given what I assume I hit. The gentleman who witnessed it said the back of the bike went airborne and then I was on the ground.

Anyway, more pictures!

Coming into the corner

Start of the corner, drain is the dark spot

Spot in question

Deepest part of the broken asphalt, left of where I crossed

Trajectory of the bike from the drain

Bike was laying on this hill facing toward me (as the photographer)

View from the opposite direction

Damage to gear

Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,289
Roads in a state of disrepair seem to be increasingly common in the northeast, particularly County & Town roads.

I suspect that won't change much, particularly on the Town level; locally they are following the "austerity" refrain which is odd because, if anything, our taxes have increased in the past several years. New equipment, buildings, etc. They are doing less with more.

A pothole large/deep enough to do that kind of damage, regardless of the armchair quarterbacking, registers as a serious road hazard to me.

Is it a cash money liability? I don't know. But you could possibly save another rider/driver the same, or worse, outcome by filing a report.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
So...

..looks like you were over the yellow line? Am I seeing that correctly?

Just a bad line though that particular corner. I am surprised it dented the rim so severely.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

I was just to the right of the yellow line, there's a lot of gravel and crap to the outside. The pictures show a bit of it. Honestly, I'm not worried about getting reimbursed for the repairs, I'm definitely going to report it though.